1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My Dream Is My Signature

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by sindmani, Jul 4, 2017.

1. sindmani

sindmani Platinum IL'ite

The movies how old are you in malayalam I saw with my mom 2 years back . Also its remake 36th vaidhinile(remake in tamil) with my mom , granny , small cousins , far relative sis on my mom's birthday in theatre.So it is very close to my heart. It encouraged me in my life. Yes its a great movie. No doubt even today I saw clippings , I completely agree the view. Yes we need to prove our identity to gain respect . We need to do something for the family and also for the society .We get educated just like men .Due to certain reasons like childcare or out of family's requirement we can take a break in career. After settling the family or children in a bigger class we can pursue our career. 100 percent ok but a review from a fellow woman is as follows "ok so woman who achieves success gets respect from family, so what about respecting a normal woman by her family. Why should she achieve great success to be respected as a human. Her family should respect her for what she is.she is a human, a wife,a mom ,a daughter ". Now I am a bit shaken with the valid question. I really feel yes a person(not only woman) has to be respected as a human irrespective of the postion. It is a human thing. But again I see we are all respected by others based on conditions and when we are in good position we are respected and wanted .
    So ways of the world is different than what we call important part of a system. So yes please provide ur valuable suggestion for me to get an insight.

2. iamsrihere

iamsrihere Platinum IL'ite

I personally didnt like the movie's idea. Like she was already working in a govt office,and in addition taking care of home,inlaws,child. It was actually silly to belittle her at every chance. It was not like she wasnt doing anything and sat without doing her responsibilities.

I hate it when women have to prove themselves to gain respect. Why? To whom should you show that you are a super power? The truth is,women are emotionally very strong in handling difficulties. If men had to endure the MIL drama at home and then goto office with a packed schedule and come back home to take care of the home,Iam sure they wouldnt be able to manage any of it.

And why cant gents do the same in addition to their career?Why cant they prove to be good at many things? Does anyone keep belittling a man for just going to office and not doing any other thing inspite of good education?

kkrish, Mistt, umaakumar and 3 others like this.
  3. sindmani

sindmani Platinum IL'ite

True. But her husband( in the movie) , thought she lacked dream or goal etc. The movie goes on making our lead role pursuing her dream. Little I too had the same question @iamsrihere that why is she portrayed as a dreamless person when she is a government employee. But later some characters push her to prove her identity. Fine it all went well for the movie.so I accepted. Now I think and doubt why we need to achieve massive success to gain little respect as any human should get by default. Housewife, working , woman with single child, woman with adopted children every one needs the basic respect from people that's all. We need basic self respect that's all. But is it costly? If so why.

Sandycandy likes this.
  4. Naari

Naari Platinum IL'ite

I haven't watched the movies, but based on your takeaways I give this response.

It's sad but it's true. Maybe because from time immemorial, women were considered to be capable of doing all household and other work but except for actually going out and earning money like men. So, in a sense, when women started studying professionally and having great careers, they finally broke the stereotype of being housewives and proved themselves as equal, earning partners in a family along with their husbands!! Working women are a reminder that women can do everything that men can do, even being breadwinners of the family.

This article reminded me of a lecture in GDP (gross domestic product) during an Economics class in our college, "Why aren't services of housewives considered as part of GDP?" And the answer was "because they are not paid!" .. I remember that discussion caused quite a stir and many of us were not ready to digest that, as it would mean that our beloved moms did not do anything valuable, just because they were unpaid and their value had to be imputed!! Same logic applies here I guess, everything that moms and wives do for free has no value, but if she goes to work leaving the child at daycare and ordering dinner from out, she is suddenly perceived as a very respectable person because she is now making money, doesn't matter if she does not do other household stuff!! I guess the respect is because she is breaking the stereotype..

teenulahari and sindmani like this.
  5. iamsrihere

iamsrihere Platinum IL'ite

I think this is becoming costly because women are allowing themselves to be influenced or manipulated to think they need to be super powers. If you think you are living to satisfy others by working/thinking out of the box,then the mistake lies with you. You first need to respect yourself for who you are. If there is self respect then you will be able to defend yourselves. But if you personally feel insufficient,then it will be a cakewalk for others to abuse/harass you.

It is completely a woman's choice to sit at home or conquer the world. A woman who doesn't have dreams cannot be pushed to have something. Dreams come naturally,you cannot push to be having a dream. And that is why I felt the movie's logic was silly.

Mistt, SpritualSoul and sindmani like this.
  6. sindmani

sindmani Platinum IL'ite

@Naari , true according to economics contribution of house wife is not considered in GDP calculation. Our economics ma'am used to feel bad for it too along with girls in the class.
    Apart from economics in our life too I feel home makers or women who are not highly successful are not valued much. It goes with men too . so human respecting a fellow human is a diminishing concept. I have seen this personally . In my case a person one months prior my good career oriented job talked as if I am an educated fool to earn less and told many unneccary things(with a smile) to me directly. But after my jobshift the same person told "I always knew u will achieve great heights":grinning:. What a twist:tonguecrazy:. Now I am a home maker. :yum:. But happy one because now I know what ever others think about me is not my priority. I think about me is my priority. I am happy as I am. ;)

Naari likes this.
  7. sindmani

sindmani Platinum IL'ite

True. What we think about ourselves matter. But where is our world going to....?

8. GoogleGlass

GoogleGlass IL Hall of Fame

Didn't watch the movie.

But why should a woman or man be respected for their achievements???

It's the mutual respect as humans that should matter most.

kcb, SunPa and sindmani like this.
  9. sindmani

sindmani Platinum IL'ite

True .. But world is different from this basic theory. That is shown in the movie too. Personally I feel everyone need to watch the movie. But sometimes the sad truth hurts us when a person's self respect goes for a stake with his financial position or career etc . I know this question I ask will not change the world but my apprehension.

GoogleGlass likes this.
  10. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Dear@sindmani,
    All home makers are not degraded and all working women are not held in high esteem. It all depends on the perception of an individual.
    PS

sindmani and SpritualSoul like this.