1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My Dhrithi's 1st Birthday and AyushHomam celebrations!!!!

Discussion in 'Birthday Party Planning' started by swaran, Oct 22, 2010.

1. swaran

swaran IL Hall of Fame

I was really really waiting to write abt DD's birthday ever since i became a member of IndusLadies.Whenever i see our Fellow ILites write abt their LittleOne's Birthday,i would keep dreaming abt my DD's first birthday ,how will it be,wat and all i need to to arrange,how to make it a wonderful occasion etc etc..This post is gonna be really big as i am goin to share both about my DD's FirstBirthday and AyushHomam,so please bear with me..the reasons for writing a long one are (1) definetely personal satisfaction which i would like to share with u all (2)a small belief that any of my small idea could help others who are planning for their Little One's birthday

It might look like a mini serial with episodes....

INTRO AND PART-1

I always had big dreams abt my LittleOne's birthday,i guess everyone does but still i believed i can do better than everyone else(i know thats wat every mother thinks of) ...i often say to myself that this is one wonderful occasion where me and DH would have the fullest space and previledge to do whatever we want to do and no one can object/question us(can maybe give some suggestions)..y i say this is becoz for other wondeful occasions in life like our birthday-our parents plan them, betrotal-marraige-we do have the privelege to do part of things we like but definetley its only a part,rest are parents.In laws and relatives wish and decisions,even the baby shower function would be by in-laws and parents...None of these are completely done based on our wish...so i decided that as parents,we should do the best for our LO's first ever function of her lifetime.. but there was also a small fear inside my head thinking whether it would come out really well and the way i expect as its only we both who would be doin the complete planning...right from Invitation card to return gifts

Slowing i kept taking tips from IL and internet regarding return gifts,how to plan,wat to do...small small ideas kept hovering all the time...Then came the time where it was only 1 1/2 months left for my LittleOne's birthday and 2 months for her AyushHomam.We had planned to celebrate her birthday in Bangalore(22nd August 2010) and AyushHomam in chennai(8th September 2010).Slowly the tension inside me started to increase as all the plans were only in mind and none of them took the physical form.Along with that the time was also less.All these time i was only dreaming and dint implement any..since i work,this tension was even more as all the purchase can be done mostly on weekends and after office it would be very difficult..Added to that would be office tensions...But i used to calm myself by saying "hey y do u worry,ur DH is there to help na"...my hubby also used to say"ok,u decide and plan whatever u feel the best for Dhrithi's AyushHomam and i would help u to the max"...neatly he escaped from the planning part which is the most tedious of all... :-D

Suddenly one day ,DH threw a big bomb on me saying he has to leave for an urgent official tour to 2-3 places starting July first week and would not be back till 2nd week of August...i was shocked...dint know what to do....how can i do everything with no one to help at all...if it was my hometown,there would be lot of people to help or atleast help in getting things faster...what would i do now...DH on the other side gave me a sad look and said that"this is very much urgent and he definetely has to go " and apologised for a long time...he said its ok...he would be back in between the trip for 2-3 days and would help me at that time...wat can i say...i cant shout at him...poor guy..i could sense that he felt very bad...i said its ok i ll manage...he said " its ok,do watever u can but dont strain urself too much...do things at min level.. just as much as possible..."...my mind was both in happy and sad/fear feelings like how would i be able to handle both functions all alone and that too my health condition is not 100%(mine was cesarian and after that i had to undergo 2 minor operations and within months i joined back work) but later all the worries vanished,there was only happy feelings becoz i was happy that i would be the only person who would completely manage everything and each and every small thing will be taken care by me personally...i was very happy...i wud get 100% satisfaction if i do that...so i completely forgot all worries and my health...but at the same time i had to take extra care in handling everything and nothing should be forgotten...and hence i started my journey of planning...

Step 1 : INVITATIONS

We had decided that we would be printing invitations only for DD AyushHomam and not for her birthday..So calculated the number of invites...It was around 100 families...
    I wanted to buy a wonderful invitation which should not only look different but felt people to whom we give the invitation should not throw it immeditely after the function..Started analysing the places in bangalore where gud invitation shops can be found...This time DH was there in town...gud for me :-D...first on our list was COMMERCIAL STREET..due to tight work pressure , me and DH along with a frnd(who knows bangalore) went to that place pretty late in the eve...there were many card shops..looked in around 7-8 shops,dint like any...it became late that day,so decided we would go to some other place another day.but then DH had to go out of town...came back after a week for weekend ..so just 2 days,had to complete my pick in those 2 days....then heard that the CITY MARKET of bangalore contains a lot of card shops...same as before,went on sat eve but pretty late...there a whole street was filled with card shops..again started my search...DH said u pick a few gud looking ones and then call me,i ll select from them,saying so he took my daughter out helping me indirectly to select peacefully :-D....took a long time to select one,it was def not 100% of wat i had imagined but was ok...it was a VIOLET coloured Leaf like card palm size -friends card.they had given a dried leaf and small ganesh metal sticker to be stuck in front of the card..but i was not 100% convienced and hence started thinking how can i make the card look different..

Idea1:tot i would make a hole in the front part of card with DD's pic in the first sheet of card and some other decorations were running on mind
    Idea2:to stick DD's pic in first sheet and place a music such that if u open,u can hear happy birthday song
    Idea3:Stick small mini color bulbs so that if u open,it would light aound DD's foto
    Idea4:(since none of the above worked) tot i would buy a spring and stick DD's foto on top of it such that if people open the card,her foto would spring up

For each of these designs i had to roam a lot of places and usually come back with a dull face...I never left my hope,"wat if 1st design doesn;t work,i ll try the 2nd the 3rd" and so on it went...So atlast fixed my mind with 4th design...I had a plan for the dried leaf also,tot i wud print "D" (first letter of DD) on it and give a glitter effect and stick that on the cover...
    Before all these i want hunting the internet to get wordings for the inviotation...Started 2 new threads in IL and got lot of responses but my mind was looking for something else...i was looking for wodings which should look like DD is calling all...later selected 3-4 wordings...till the last minute i was supposed to start for the printing shop,i was deciding abt the look and appearance of the card...
    Went to the printing shop... as i know no printing shop personally in bangalore,took my frnds help...she took me to her fiance's printing shop and thinking it would be fine,i gave the cards...i informed the printer that (a) i def need a kids font(2)printing on the dry grass with the letter D and was given the assurance that they would sent me back the proof within 1-2 days and i would get back the printed cards within a week or so...

Now started all my problems with the printer guy...i gave for printing in the 2nd week of july and thought i should dispatch off all of them before DD's first birthday(22nd August)....

(i) first the proof dint reach me the next day,reached 2-3 days later...first tension,ok i took it with ease"Ah,these things will happen,i still have time"...

(ii)next saw the proof...few corrections here and there and then gave back in another 1-2 days(again delay from my side becoz of tight ofice schedule)....

(iii)suddenly i found that the font was appearing clumsy...he had used some normal design font...i asked him,he said"the card size is small...ur wordings are big...please change and send otherwise the invitation would be like that,we cant do anythin"...i spent my next 2-3 days in looking for other wordings...made small changes in my wordings and before giving to the printer fellow...i myself said i ll find the font and give u,u print using that...searched all the font websites and pasted my wordings and analysed how it would be and informed him the font name,the size that can be used and also the place they can find it...so a week and a half passed like this...no response from them for another 3-4 days...again tension...he came back that weekend and told it cant be printed that way,we are not able to find the font..select somethin else and that DTP guy is not cooperating to download the font as he fears for virus attack..."wat the heck??"...then he said "madam,u print the font in trace sheet ,we will take and print"...again did that work also...again a week passed...it was then only 2 1/2 weeks left for DD's birthday..tension was at its peak...i usually call my hubby and vent out my tension..he would say go and shout at him...i usually used to say"its our friend's fiance,how can i"...ok let me give a little more time..again next weekend,he said"u download corel draw and chek out the fonts and then tell me"...i was damn pissed off..."wat is this guy goin?...i did the font selection,the size selection as well as the appearance of the card like wer to place wat,no help from him...i now have to download the software and check the font...y did i give to this blooody guy,if i have the printer,i would very well do the printing as well"...i was damn furious...then my frnd came and told that they are asking me to come and meet in his shop so that i can select...i said i am not well to go to his shop and also told her in a little angry mood that y is he telling all these at the last moment,is this how he behaves...the previous nite i spent downloading coreldraw which took a loooong time to download and i dint sleep till 3 AM...i said i have downloaded it,i would see in it and then only if nothin works i will come to the shop...in between all these that guy never ever calls or messages me abt wat is happening...i was the person who has to call him every now and then and ask him the dtails...he calls his gf and informs her ..."wat a guy,who is his customer,me or her...he was sick"...i downloaded corel draw only to see that the font which i had asked him was already there..i told that girl and that guy asked me to send me the font..i did and finally after 3 days,he gave me my card...Ooppppppppsssss...such a pain i had to take for a card...he charged Rs900 for printing 100 cards(i bought the card for Rd 800) and on top of that he said he cannot print on leaf and gave me back...OMG,i was happy atleast i got back my card...In all these 3-4 weks ,i was not able to even purchase properly becoz of the tensions i had for the card...

(iv)In between, i was in search of small springs that could hold my DD's pic as per Idea4 of designing the card...again searched a lot of automobile shops and no one manufactures such small that too flexible springs...one thing that dint hot me when i tot of springs was the spiral binding plastic spring that could be used...after a week's search,i finally bought them...

(v)next was small pic of DD for the invitation which was a little easy..gave a pic and asked the photographer to make 100 copies of that pic...wow..that i got in 2 days

(vi)last but not least,leaf printing...i dint give up...called and asked a lot of printers and atlast one guy accepted but said its difficult and would charge Rs2 for each...had no other go,knew it was costly but ok gave it...he gave me back in 2 days but but there was no gltter or shine...how can i use it..then tot i myself would spray sparkles on it..
    but to my horror,the leaf dint stick to the cover becoz of the texture of the card...OMGGGGGGGGGGG

so this was how my invitation got designed at last
    Cover :stuck the small metal Ganesh ji that as given by the card guy
    Inside front cover : my DD's pic with 2 wordings above and 2 below the pic
    Middle of invitaion : left holded the date,time,location,etc etc and a line indicating we have cakes party and games too after the AyushHomam
    right side the invitation wordings(main subjest)
    Back of printing sheet just one sheet before the end cover : wonder what would that contain.....the route map,nah...phone number,nah nah..ofcourse my DRIED PRINTED LEAF...common,how can i leave it...after all i took a lot of pain to get it done....

All these plannng was done y know on which day??..on DD's first birthday,we all were sticking these so that i could send a few cards throu my parents who had come for the birthday....but i got a strong objection for this extra work of sticking springs as it would take lot of time and might not come properly...OMG idea 4 also not complete but atlast my card is done....Yippe Yippe my card is done..i was soooooooooo happy

so here comes my card for ur view..its def not 100% of wat i imagined/dreamt...but i did get looots of appreaciations from each and every person to whom i had sent the card...personally i got calls from everyone saying that they really loved the card...so i was very very happy after such a long struggle i had made for the card...those words really healed my pain of running behing the card to get it completed...hope u like it

PS :---- to be continued

Attached Files:

14 people like this.

2. Prettina

Prettina Gold IL'ite

Hi swaran,

WOW!Wonderful inv card..
    Your wya of writting shows the efforts you have taken for it to be a grant occassion..
    Kudos!!!!!!!!!!!
    Your DD will def be very happy one day when she sees the efforts taken by you and your DH :)
    May God bless your cutie pie..

Last edited: Oct 22, 2010
  3. swaran

swaran IL Hall of Fame

thanks a lot prettina for ur first feedback...wait for the future parts and please post ur feedbacks again
    thanks again

4. Durgapriye

Durgapriye Senior IL'ite

Hi Swaran,
    Your Dhriti is very cute. Wow You went thru such a hard time at last your attempts didnt go wasted. Your card is very beautiful :thumbsup

Last edited: Oct 22, 2010
  5. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

Hi, Swaran,
    I was wondering why you didnt post Ayush Homam details. At last you are posting serialised one. It will help all those planning for their DO first birthday. Your card is fantastic. Dhriti is adorable. Though you had hard time, I think it was satisfactory as it came very near to what you planned........Congrats yaar:cheers

6. swaran

swaran IL Hall of Fame

Hi Vjbunny
    thanks and sorry for not posting the card in that inviation wordings thread...i tot i would complete my writing and then post the same

7. swaran

swaran IL Hall of Fame

PART-2

Definetely the other preparations were not that much tedious compared to the invitation part but yes they were not very less..

Step-2 :RETURN GIFTS

Wow...this is a very challenging task for me...wat to buy...have to buy something which should not be in the regular list of return gifts that people usually get...but wer can i find it and what would it be?.......finally decided the following

Elders : SAPLINGS(1 per family)..i personally wanted to do something good on my DD's birthday...hence this idea of return gift..For Bangalore bought 20 indoor plants(costed approx Rs 20-25 each)....For chennai,bought 100 indoor air cleaning plants(Draceana Marginata) each costing Rs28..ordered through internet from GreenPlants.in..Along with the plant i also gave a short note of name of the plant,what best conditions it grows well,how to maintain etc

Kids Divided them into 3 groups ::
    0-3 years ::
    1 Plastic sipper(pack of 4 costing Rs99 from big bazaar)
    1 Plastic B owl SpoonFork set (each set costing Rs 33-got it from the 33 rupees bazaar)
    together costed Rs 58 for each kid...this i wrapped in form of bouquet and gave
    4-13 years ::
    1 big sticker sheet(Rs 4),
    1 Big Pencil (Rs 8 since i bought in large number) ,
    1 glitter(Rs 5...actually bought a packet of 6 and picked one for each kid),
    1 Small Crayon Box(Rs 12...it has cartoon charaters head at the end...bought pack of 2s - Rs25 from Big Bazaar)..
    1 Fabric Color set(Rs 12..contains 5-6 colurs in small bottles)
    1 changing eraser(Rs 10...contains 4-5 color rubbers in a single tube and we can change the rubbers like Pen-pencil)
    So together this has come to Rs 51 per kid...rolled these items in a paper and then wrapped them in the shape of Chochlate wrapper...On top i stuck the big pencil

14-15 years :::
    1 file folder(Rs 23 each)
    1 Cd case(Rs 33 each)
    this totally added up to Rs 56 for each ...these gifts i wrapped them up in normal way

I was expecting around 56 kids totally(bangalore+chennai)..i made a note of all the kids and their names and ages and then bought the gifts...made mini calculations in excel sheets and took printout and went for all purchases with that paper fearing i should leave no one(cant come in buying all these again) and also i should have much grifts in excess...actually these gifts were like for kids for whom we had to give gifts whether they come or not...mandatory...Other than these i got some tiffin boxes,normal small return gifts of less rate,maybe around 5 pieces each Rs 30-40...So actually i dint have much extra return gift back..it dint go waste...

Sorry to mention with the exact amount...but just tot it wouldbe helpful for few of parents who are planning for their LO's b'day....

Along with these bought whistles,partyCap and PartyeyeMasks for all the kids who are attending...bought everyhtin in wholesale shop...hence cost was little less

In addition to all these,i wanted to make Badges with DD's pic so that i would give to all the invites who are entering the function...later that changed to keychains but none of them worked..2 reasons-one was the place they make these was very far from my house and other was it turned to be very cosylt and i would require a min of 150-200 badges/keychains...tried till even 1 week before her birthday but no luck...so that plan was dropped

I even wanted the satin ribbon that we tie on the gift wrappers to be personalised...I wanted to print "HAPPY BIRTHDAY DHRITHI" on the satin ribbons...again no one was willing to take up the job except for the guy who took up the task of printing on the leaf...He said"u are giving al difficult/challenging tasks to us"...atlast i got that also ready and made small small bow of that ribbon and stuck them on the ruturn gift wrapper

the return gifts for ur view...

I really got wonderful feedback and apprecitaions for these return gifts and arrangements...

to be continued.......

Attached Files:

6 people like this.
  8. swaran

swaran IL Hall of Fame

PART-3

Step-3:DRESSES FOR DD and FAMILY MEMBERS ::

First comes DD's big day dress ---- This purchase was little easy for me as i had to buy only for her Birthday and for AyushHomam,each of the GrandMother would buy one pattu pavadai for her and she has to wear them only...But this birthday dress was my selection..Now this is one thing again have to be taken with utmost care...Tot i would buy grand party wear frock with all the wonderful work in the world,no how abt ghagra,no no how abt pant shirts..mmmmmmhum..wat to buy for my angel that would look damn cute...i had decided to purchase her dress only a week before the party...my DH had returned back as promised...both of us went but i was surprised to see that for a 1 year old kid,u dont get much varieties as u get for more than 2-3 years...wat to do...but i also read from few posts of IL that it is better that both the LO's dress as well as the mother's dress be less grand becoz it can be really irritating for the LO and wen it goes to his/her mother,the mother's dress can inturn cause more irritation to LO...so me and DH went to a lot of shops,was not convienced,DD became irritated and we had to decide on somethin and then finally decided on a cute blue and red satin frock...i first saw the lining...it was plain,of gud cotton and def wont cause irritation...ok so we bought...but i wanted to search for better...that whole one week...i visited a lot of shops and bought a crushed madterial salwar,violet color..tried on my LO..she was damn cute but but she was crying as the crushed material was sticking tight on her...she hated it and was pulling the cloth...so went back and exchanged with an anarkali salwar-red green and a black satin gown...wow...both were wonderful on her...
    along with this bought a cute angel wing and wand so that she would look very cute like an angel

For her AyushHomam, all of us went shopping and both grannies both 2 pattu pavadais(one with sleve-orange color with green border combi with kundan work and the other sleveless-violet and gold border combi also with kundan work)
    For me and DH ::,initially we both tot we would wear the same colored dress as DD for birthday alteast but knew would not be able to for AyushHomam as hers was last minute purchase and me and DH cannot decide our dresses at the last moment...so for AyushHomam i bought a 3 colored(light,lighter blue and grey color)designer saree..with embroidery and little glitter and chamki work..not too much chamki and no kundan work...for hubby a light violet blue shirt and nice pant
    for birthday i decided to wear a voilet silk saree and DH in same colored shirt
    Fortunately for both occasions,all 3 of us (DH,Me and DD) ended up wearing almost similar shades of dresses...

for my Mother and MIL,bought a semi silk saree - one in violet and one in red but later bought 2 more sarees for each of them in chennai
    for BIL - bought a party wear shirt
    For sister - beautiful designer saree
    for both fathers(my fater and FIL) - pant shirts

Step-4 :: DECORATIONS

this included the usual ones - ballons,singing cake cutting knife,snow sprays,Party crackers,flowery candles that opens like a flower and sings happy birthday etc etc

Step-5 :: PARTY GAMES

I wanted to keep games after the cake cutting both for DD's birthday and AyushHomam..bought 5 sets of gifts(5 for chennai and 5 for bangalore) for games...i was deciding till the last moment and came up with 3-4 games...my family members were telling that there would be no time but i dint listen...i just noted and kept

Step-6 :: CAKES

These really spice up the parties...

Birthday Cake : I was looking for a nice cute eggless 7 kg cake for bangalore...was expecting 50-60 people...again posted in IL asking for gud cake shops near my place....atlast went to amma's pasteries near banaswadi and ordered a cute barbie cake...i asked him not to add too much colors as i fear they mix artificial colors to the cream(tht baker confirmed tht they would add a small bit of color)...vanella spongy cake with litchi icing and rest of the decorations i left with the baker's creativity

AyushHomam cake : same 7 kg cake,even though we had invited more than 100 families,since we have homams and pujas before the cake cutting,we believed the number of people would be less at that time...i wanted to get a cake which would be the name of DD..Alphabet cakes...that too pure eggless...this cake was a big challenge to me...since i was in bangalore and i would reach chennai just 2 days before her AyushHomam,i had to make arrangements beforehand and that too the bakery has to be near the function hall...called up a number of bakeries...but the moment i said eggless immediately they backed off saying either its not at all possible or i would back off hearing their cost...OMG...reached chennai,decided to go for cake walk but still was thinkin it would be very costly...atlast gave a last shot at HotBreads adyar...they said they can do but it would be for 10kgs...10kgs would be too much for me and it would go waste....atlast he agrred for an rectangular cake with my daughter's name in embossed format...he said he would make it fine in 7 kg...agreed ,paid the advance and returned back

The cakes for ur view

to be continued...

Attached Files:

8 people like this.
  9. swaran

swaran IL Hall of Fame

PART-4

The big days

All things done,guests for Dhrithi's birthday were called beforehand by in-laws either through phone or making a personal visit...i personally as a mother went to call our neighbours the previous day of DD's birthday wearing a marroon coloured saree with matching accesorries...it was raining cats and dogs that whole week and all at home were worried whether all the frnds would turn up for DD's birthday...the day ended with a heavy rain

DHRITHI's 1st BIRTHDAY -

******Date::22nd August 2010 ******* Party start time :: 6PM ******* Venue ::Home Sweet Home(Bangalore) ******

Morning :: My parents,Sister and Aunt had arrived from chennai...BIL also came from chennai....now they again brought wonderful dresses for DD...we kept all the dresses and decided the one for party...nope...we were not able to decide...later we wrapped the return gifts...the saplings had come in the morning...arranged the furnitures such that all get enough space,sent DD to neighbour's house to do all work a little faster and also to make DD sleep peacefully so that she would be fresh in the eve
    Afternoon :: Had lunch, decorations done,did invitation work and gave to my parents,cleared things from all rooms,kept them all in a single room which almost became a store room at the end of day along with all the return gifts and DD's birthday gifts...MIL and FIL especially are execellent cooks and hence they were busy preparing food for their grand daughter's big evening
    Evening:sent DH and BIL to collect her cake,we all dressed up but DD started becoming restless...no reason...but i guess its usual for these little ones to become restless on big days...since she was restless,we decided to put on the frock that me and DH had bought for her as it would be easy to wear and it would be easy for us to put it on her...she was still restless..it was 5.15PM...and all of us very dressed up neatly...one of the guests arrived with her family...then came in the cake in a big cardboard box...opened it up ...cake was looking simple but very cute...cute barbie dressed up in beautiful pink and white gown made of cake was greeting all our guests with both her hands straight open...very cute indeed...it was 6,no one other than the first guest had come....we were worried...actually we went to each and every neighbour's house asking them to come soon....sad thing,none were ready and Dhrithi's best friends(a family of mother father and 3 daughters who are really close to us) had not turned up.we were shocked..then we came to know that that mother was seriously ill and the whole family was in hospital...oh god...DD still restless,we cannot cut the cake with a single family...we had called 15 families...so we started taking snaps...took few snaps with restless DD....suddenly entered 2-3 families and slowly before 6.30 almost everyone reached...DD suddenly became very happy seeing all her friends..DD is very friendly with all the neighbours...all of them really loved Dhrithi and she moves with everyone..she started smiling and moving with all...she was like the parcel being passed in "passing the parcel" game...then 6.30- 6.45, we placed the candle and 90% of the guests had arrived and all the rooms were filled with people, and all of them were trying to watch Dhrithi cutting the cake...my sister made dhrithi wear the Angel wing and gave her the wand...OMG....DHRITHI was looking like a REAL ANGEL.....wow wow...All said she was looking like a cute angel

Then we lit the musical candle and the moment it opened with the sound, all of them started singing
    "HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO U ...HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO U....HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO DEAR DHRITHI....HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO U
    MAY GOD BLESS U DEAR...MAY GOD BLESS U DEAR....MAY GOD BLESS U DEAR..."

Me and DD started cutting the cake..immediately BIL sprayed the snow foam on all kids and our neighbour bursted the party crakers...DD was wondering wat was happening but at the same time she was very happy seeing so many frnds around her...after cutting me and DH gave small pieces to DD and she started liking her birthday cake very much that she wanted more and more :-D ...

took snaps with all...DD got her birthday gifts and we started giving cake,kichdi,bonda with sambar,coconut chutney and rosemilk to all...to all our surprise,the clouds that were pouring heavy rain till the previous day had not sprinkled even a single drop of rain the whole day on DD's birthday...but remained cloudy throughout....the cake was wonderful,it was soft,juicy and was made in a wonderful way...even the
    I wanted to organise games for the kids but fearing the rain,all started to leave as soon as they were done munching the hot bondas,kichdi and juicy soft cake...so i had to give up the games..after that we distributed the return gifts to kids as per their age and saplings for elders
    so almost all of the people went wen it was 8-8.30PM...One or two families came late and blessed dhrithi....so by the time all the guests had left,it was 9.30PM and my BIL and parents had to leave for the 11 PM train...so immediately they all packed up and left within half an hour...OMG...my whole body was aching,so as for my MIL and FIL but DD was in full form...she was dancing here and there,pulling things,bursting the left out balloons and collecting all the glitters that fell from the craker and balloons...inspite of all these i opened all the gifts DD had got till DH returns back from the railway station... :crazy me

So DD's first Birthday was a grand success...

but this is not the end of story...hey her AyushHomam story is still there na...

just one more part more.......

4 people like this.
  10. swaran

swaran IL Hall of Fame

PART-5

Chennai Trip: me ,DH,DD and MIL started from bangalore 3 days before dhrithi's ayushHomam in our SWIFT...it was a 10 day trip...starting from 4th Sep Sat till 13th Sep mon...4th afternoon around 3 ,all 3 of us started dumping all the things necessary for the function...poor SWIFT,it became like a mini village bus carying both people and materials...we dint know wat to take and wat not to...had to carry dresses for all of us for 10 days and all dresses had to be grand ones as we had to travel for almost all days to relatives place and temples..this was the first long trip with Dhrithi...so we were really confused wat to take for her and since we would be travelling a lot to different places and through different climate,had to take loads of dress ,necessary medicines,food items for her.

All our neighbours came out and waved Dhrithi "Bye Bye" and also said"it would be very difficult without her for 10 days,donno how we are goin to be"...it was really then i realised how special Dhrithi was for all our neighbours...from each and every house in our small lane,all family members whoever was available at that time came out to send Dhithi.I was really moved.

Reached chennai late in the nite..we stayed at ...next day was the big purchase day in T-nagar...started at 9 in the morning ,bought dresses for BIL,sister,parents,PILs and both side parents bought Patu pavadai for Dhrithi...eve had lite snack at Adyar sangeethas,ordered DD's cake(alphabet cake as i had mentioned above) and then reached back home ...the next two days we were busy packing the gifts and arranging all necessary items for her Ayushhomam...

DHRITHI's AYUSHHOMAM-

******Date::08th September 2010 ******* Timings :: 9 - 10.30 AM ******* Venue ::Shastri Nagar Community Hall,Adyar(Chennai) ******

Woke up early in the morning..MIL asked us to reach the mandapam before 7.30 AM as 7.30-9 was Rahukalam...so had to rush..reachd the mandapam before 7.15AM..the catering people greeted us and DD...took snaps.at 8 the guy from nursery came and gave the 100plants(return gifts) tat we had ordered....then i left my DD with my sis and went and gor dressed up...DH also got ready...we both were in madisar(for me) and panchagacham(for DH),traditional look after a long time..meanwhile our sweetie pie got dressed up in orange colored sleaveless pattu pavadai(decorated with kundan and embroidery) with a small pony on her head and small jasmin flowers around that pony...OMG she was indeed looking like a traditional angel...absolutely no makeup other than a small bindi and some gold ornaments,she was looking like mini goddess..wow we could really not remove our eyes frm her this time too... took snaps again but this time she was the center of attraction...all relatives started coming and there were so many of relatives/friends who were seeing her for the first time..."oh she looks like her mom".."no no,like her daddy,no MIL "..."wow,she looks so pretty"..."naughty girl"..."hey come to me ,come to me"..."wat is she doin these days???,standing,walking,running,wat mischeif she does...will she come to everyone or is a momma girl?"..."wow were did u get this dress,wow lovely ornaments".."wat is she eating?..is she eating properly or not?"...."super...she looks like an angel"...this tat and many more....these were the sentences i and my family kept on hearing during the function...i tot letme record all these and keep playing in the fucntion throghout...so many friends and relatives whom we had also not met for many months started gathering...slowly a voice came from my mind "hey look,all these days,u were the one getting praisings and compliments abt ur look and ornaments and dressing and now all of a sudden this little lady has taken away the whole crowd of fans from u..how rude"...i started feeling jealous abt my own daughter(happens with all moms)...heheheh...but was very happy seeing her getting praised by the whole lot...

later we had to sit in the homam (ganapathi homam,navagraha homam and AyushHomam) for 2 hours...DD was playing with the smoke for sometime and then started becomin a little crancky and it was getting hot with the smoke and fire from the homam...OMG she became so restless and i had to constantly entertain her by lifting and playing with her as she dint go with anyone(oh these babies....) and was clinging on to me...slowly she started removing the garlands and jasmin frm her head and also the bindi...she was sweating and i had a tough job managing her as she became very restless...started crying...then by the time,the homan got over,all my makeup also began to fade away...this is the most horrible part...ryt ladies...hehehehe

we had sent my BIL to bring the cake frm the cake shop...he came and by that time,all of us especially me and DH changed our traditional costume to the casual ones..i was in my designer sarees with accessories(of course no time to do makeup again) and DH was in his party wear...cake arrived..it was a rectangular with my DD's name embossed...the embossing came out fine but the cake decoration was bad..seriuosly..took from the best shop but dint satify my expectations...DD's name was in red color with the below rectangular part in yellow...oh gosh,it looked like a banner wen sseen from top and no decorations other than few cherries here and there...but the guests really liked the cake shape and its taste...good for me...:-D

before cutting the cake,i discributed party hats,eye masks and hooters to all kids...to my surprise,even the elders started wearing them and were playing happily...later we cut the cake with a singing knife and all sang 'HAPPY BIRTHDAY"...and from each of sides my BIL and DH bursted the party crackers (just like we did in birthday)...FIL started distributing the cake pieces and we all went and got blessings and appreciations from everybody..all ate the cake and said the AYUSHHOMAM was really very good...then we gave away the return gifts for all kids(frinends/realtives/photographers and some workers) and the plants gifts...the plant gift was a big success,...each and every person gave us wonderful feedback.again in this party also,i was not able to organise the games as there were less number of kids around 5 kids(it was a weekday and exams had started for many of them)....after settling with the mandapam guys,all returned back home happily..all from my parents and in laws,DH appreciated me for taking care of all things in a wonderful manner... i was personally very happy and satisfied as i had handled all things single and everythin went fine...i was on CLOUD NINE...wat more can i ask

immediately after reaching home all had to pack for the kerala trip...left on the same day to kerala..went to guruvayoor (and nearby temples-1 day)and palakad to our family temple(2nd day)...took the train...came back to chennai.got ready immediately...repacked the things and immediately within 2 hrs started to Gharbharakshambigai temple and next day visited parents side family temple,Vaideeshwaran kovil,got DD's tonsured,went to kovalam beach,budhan stalam.chidabaram and returned back to bangalore the next day

OMG...it was definetely a tedious trip but definetely a memorable one...i was initially so scared thinking abt my little one ,how wil she manage,how abt her health,wat will she eat or will she eat someting as that was our first outing after her birth and that too for a whole 10 days outside bangalore and tat too continous travelling...but my Little one is an Angel..she gave absolutely no trouble at all and adjusted to everything...she is truely a big blessing from god

Last but not the least some suggestions(which i did and also i understood i should have done better) from my side ,
    * while planning for the LO's birthday,please make sure u arrange things(be it a card or decoration or watever) in a nice creative way...
    * Be sure of number of attendies(atleast near approximate number) and buy return gifts according...dont buy too much excess...
    * try to give useful and unique gifts

Thanks for reading my big post...sorry i couldn't refrain myself from writing even the smallest part of my plan....thanks for ur patient reading..

Also please post ur feedbacks,comments or critisicims

Last edited: Oct 23, 2010
    11 people like this.