1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My depression disappears!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by mithila kannan, Jun 26, 2010.

1. mithila kannan

mithila kannan Gold IL'ite

For no particular reason,I felt very depressed .Even when I got up in the morning I was in this mood only.Sullen,irritable and angry.My husband guessed my mood and left for office with out a ‘hi!’ or ‘bye’.I felt very bad.

Around 3 in the afternoon,I could not bear to sit at home in that state of mind.I got out of the house and started going for a leisurely walk.I went on thinking,probing into myself.What was bothering me?,why did I get into this obnoxious mood?I knew.The sofa set that is in our drawing room celebrated its tenth birthday last week.It has become old and dilapidated in my eyes.I have been wanting to buy a new sofa set and my choice would cost Rs.4o,ooo,minimum.My husband put his foot down and said,”Nothing doing.We can’t spend that much money on a sofa set now.There are other more important things to take care of.”That’s all.There was no further talk between us.Iam very irritated.I have been married for the past fifteen years and I don’t have the right to buy a sofa set with out his approval.

I keep walking slowly and it begins to drizzle.I keep walking ,getting drenched in this mild shower makes me feel good.The grocerywallah from whom I regularly buy groceries shouts to me,”Amma,shall I give you an umbrella.You can return it later.”I smile and say,”No,thanks”and walk further.At the end of the street,there is a vacant plot.Looks like someone is thinking of constructing a house or building there.A hut has come up there .A family which is going to work there must have started living there.The lady of the house is cooking inside,I can see the smoke going up through the thatched roof.

The ground on which the hut stands is slushy,puddles of water everywhere.That one room is that family’s drawing,dining and living room.There is no bathroom inside or outside.They somehow fend for themselves.A mild shiver goes through my body.Then I see her.She must be eight or nine years old,must be the daughter of the family.There is an old big tree in the open ground.This girl has tied a thick rope on its branches and is sitting on it and swinging away to glory.

I keep looking at her.She is wearing an old skirt that comes up to her knees,a blouse that is torn in the armpits.Her unruly thick hair has been plaited into two pigtails.A couple of rubber bangles adorn her hands.But she is swinging in ecstasy.Up and down …..up and down.As the speed with which she swings increases and her feet almost touch the ground ,her laughter also keeps pace.

I look at her face,innocent ,guile less face.Her mirth,her happiness and her joy.Sure,she is enjoying ,tasting the happiness of this moment like honey,sip by sip.As I keep looking at this girl,I feel my mouth suddenly curving into a smile.

I walk back home,humming an old Hindi song.It is a long time since I hummed a song.:)

2. Soldier

Soldier Gold IL'ite

Hi Mam!

Happy to enter this thread with mine as first fb.

Oh! so well written. I could actually visualise what you have written - that proves your writing skills. Sure you must have been back to moods after the walk in mild shower and analysing and enjoying the girl's activity.

I too get angry suddenly sometimes. But then I should have drizzles to cool me down mentally and a happy girl like this swinging and enjoying to compose me naa!

Nice post.

3. meenasankaran

meenasankaran Platinum IL'ite

Very nice post. Thanks for sharing your 'walk' with us. Reading your post, I could actually 'see' the girl swinging with the breeze on her face.

4. Yashikushi

Yashikushi Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Amma
    The Carving behind the curving smile of your sulky mood.
    YES Ma.Sometimes we fail to feel for ourselves that happiness lies in penny things when we are drew inside of the verity.
    Variables are likely to vary.may be in your case the sofa and the small girl.
    A coin worth one-hundredth of the value of the basic for us.But the one whom don't have coin at all.
    This scene depicts our country modality.
    HAPPY for your drizzling disappearance.
    Thanks.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2010
  5. mithila kannan

My dear soldier,

Thank you.
    Everybody can not have evrything.We should learn to appreciate the blessings that God has given us.Then life becomes a beautiful song.
    love
    mithila

6. mithila kannan

My dear meena,
    Thank you fr that fb.God has hidden so many small and big gifts in ech of our lives,if only we find them out and learn to appreciate them ,enjoy those gifts then life becomes full of fun.
    love
    mithila

7. mithila kannan

My dear saroj
    Your fb reminds me of a man who was sad and sulking as he did not have a pair of shes to wear.He sulked and sulked till he came across a man who did not have legs.
    love
    mithila amma

8. monifa13

monifa13 Bronze IL'ite

Dear Mithila Kannan - What a lovely post! Yes, we all get depressed sometimes, with or without a valid reason but we do come out of it-don't we? In the suburb where we live here there are two men - One is called as Joe and the other one is John. Joe doesn't have a leg and John is totally blind. What I am telling you is not a story; It's real. Joe walks faster than many of us here and he always has a friendly smile for us. John is living all by himself. He goes to the bank, he does the shopping and manages to cook, wash and do the other things like a normal person. There is a departmental stores in our building. If he wants to buy a can of soup he will just go and stand in front of the shelf where the soups are kept and the local people or the shop assistants will help him pick up the one he wants. Whenever I see them I thank the Lord for the good life and the good health He has given me and I pray to Him to keep both of them happy and confident for the rest of their lives. We learn from other's miseries too...

9. Custard

Custard Gold IL'ite

Hello MithilaKannan,

Your post is very true! It happened to me once too. One morning, with a bad mood, when I was going to college, my mood changed when I saw a little girl with a sweet smile riding with her dad (probably to her school). She was so pretty and so sweet. After years, even now I think of her sometime. :)

10. shabd

shabd Bronze IL'ite

really inspiring post:thumbsup:hatsoff