1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My decision to adopt a baby

Discussion in 'Adoption' started by achutty, Aug 7, 2009.

1. Gowri66

Gowri66 Gold IL'ite

Gayathri..
    Congrats. Very happy for you and your family. Lots of love to your kids.

Krithika,

Just wanted to share how we started :
    As we do have a plan of adoption... Before Aditi was born, we check with them and they told we must have 3 yrs of marriage and then only we can adopt. So we had to postpone the idea.

This is what we did :
    (1) You can go directly to check their office.(we went to the t.nagar office)
    (2) You are supposed to fill up some forms.
    (3) They will do some background check (by social worker)

Check these links, you will get an idea :

Central Adoption Resource Agency
    Directorate of Social Welfare - Child Adoption, Govt of Tamil Nadu

Hope I could help you a bit.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2010
  2. ganges

ganges Gold IL'ite

dear achu,

The decision for adoption is a most welcome one. We know two of our friends family adopted two girl childs. They both are very happy with their child and no issues from family or nighbours. Gone are the days when the society took such things for gossips and all. So dear, If you and your husband decide after discussing with the parents, then go for that without hesitant. But once into that dont have any second thought.

best wishes.

ganges

3. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Gowri, thanks for chiming in here. The thing is, we have been told by just about everyone who knows of our plan to adopt to go to "A" particular NGO for their scrupulous practices. I have met the people who run the NGO in a different context and absolutely love their work. Just wondering if there are others out there. The one I am talking about is in Teynampet. At this point I am collecting information. We have a long way to go before we actually start the process: we have decided to wait till K is back in school and settled:)

4. jeys

jeys Junior IL'ite

Hi Gayathri,

I am also interested in adoption. Could you let me know the name of the agency in chennai. I have a baby boy who is 11 months old now. I live in Abu Dhabi but basically from chennai. When we approached a agent here, they told us that we can adopt a baby only when my boy completes 2 years. Is that the case. Could you clarify.

Awaiting your response.

Thanks
    Jeys

5. viswaa123

viswaa123 New IL'ite

Hai Achuty...

Thats a great decision...

We are also in the same situation.. we are planning to register this June in India for adoption... Good Luck...

God bless us with a kid in our family.... Our prayers are there for you too...

6. SriVidya75

SriVidya75 Platinum IL'ite

One of my single friend is looking to adopt a baby, any ideas or suggestions for her? I have no information for her except to point out to this thread...could anyone give more info on what she can/cannot do ? and how to approach etc? and what are the difficulties or challenges she has to be prepared with?

Last edited: Apr 13, 2010
  7. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Srividya, if she is in India or wants to adopt from India, ask her to look up the CARA website. It has answers to most commonly asked questions. The rest could be answered by parents who have adopted and it may therefore be worththewhile to look up local chapters of Adoption support organisations.

8. SriVidya75

SriVidya75 Platinum IL'ite

Thank you Dear!

She is here in US. Down the line she may move I have no idea..but as of now she is in US and she is preparing herself for this, she said as there is 2 yrs wait for teh baby to be matched meanwhile she wants to be ready for the baby both financially and mentally ...thats why I was trying to gather more info for her.

9. arthidiva

arthidiva Silver IL'ite

Can a lady adopt a child, while being single? This is for my cousin sis who has no idea of getting married now or in the furture too.. so she is thinking in the lines of adoption.. adopting a girl child..

10. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Dear Nittu,
    sorry. I did not reply you at the right time. Did you go thro the website the others have posted? Do you still need any assistance? I am sorry dear. I will get all details if you want now.