1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My decision to adopt a baby

Discussion in 'Adoption' started by achutty, Aug 7, 2009.

1. Nittu

Nittu Senior IL'ite

Hi eandian
    Can u help me in adopting baby...please tell me how u started and which is the best place ...Waiting for reply!!!

2. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Hi,
    this is a good decision, I appreciate you both for taking the right decision at the right time.
    I have 4 siblings among this myself and my elder brother have 1 child each. One brother is unmarried and the other sister and brother are childless. But they were not interested in adopting. My sister and hubby regret their decision now. Brother does not like talking about it so we have not discussed it so far.
    Recently one of my husband's friend adopted a girl child from an orphanage. They celebated the baby's first birthday last month in a grand manner. They are just in the seventh heaven after baby came into their life.
    If you want I could get you the details of the orphanage in Tamil Nadu.
    There is another ILiite whose son had adopted a baby girl even when they have a biological son, how noble!
    Go ahead and enhoy parenthood.

3. Nittu

Nittu Senior IL'ite

Hi Varloo
    Thanks for taking time to share . please help us by getting the details of the orphanage. I am so happy for the parents who had adopted the child :)
    Thank you in advance!!!:bowdown

4. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Hi, wait for a day, the details will be here in a day's time. I cannot send you a pm. So I will post it here if that does not interfere with the forum ettiquette.

5. Nittu

Nittu Senior IL'ite

Ok No problem ,Will wait for your reply!!

6. eandian

eandian IL Hall of Fame

Sure. I will be glad to help. From your profile, i understand that you do not live in India. Then yours will be an international adoption. this will depend on your visa status there. As far as I know, one of you should be a US citizen. I had green card only and hence could not adopt from there. We had to wait for 2 more years to become citizens. We did not want to wait. So I spoke to my company and they moved us to India and I did local adoption. It was a big decision but worth every bit.

It would help if i can know your visa status. Then I can provide more info as the procedures are entirely different.

But the general plan for domestic adoption will be...
    1. Visit any agency and fill application form
    2. Provide all the paperwork required
    a.economic status,
    b.health certificate,
    c.letter from three references (old time friends) stating that you will be good parents etc etc
    d. Letters from one sibling on each side saying that they will take care of the baby in case anything unexpected happens to both of you.
    e.Proof of employment
    etc etc.
    f. Police statement - no objection certificate.
    3.The social worker will visit your house and check if it is a goof environment for the child to grow up
    4. Once he/she is satisfied, they will place the baby as a foster child.
    5. Then the case will be filed in court and the adoption legalized.

Internation adoption will require more paperwork, more time and more money.

Pls do not hesitate to ask more questions. The first step is very scary and the paperwork might be intimidating. But I got the application form in September, Went back to the agency with all the paper work completed in October and the agency finished their part of paperwork and the sweet darling arrived in November.

you can also email me if you want.

7. eandian

eandian IL Hall of Fame

Also search the internet you might find many useful info ....just google "adopt baby from India".

Last edited: Aug 30, 2009
  8. Nittu

Nittu Senior IL'ite

Hi varloo
    I will be going back to india shortly....we do not have green card.

9. Nittu

Nittu Senior IL'ite

Hi varloo
    Can u give the name of the adoption agency where ur friend had adopted(if u can share) It will be helpful for me,so that i feel very confident!

10. SBRB

SBRB New IL'ite

Its really good to read so many encouraging responses. But lets not just keep looking at the rosy picture. After much deliberation, my husband and I have also decided to go for adoption. We have seen couples around us who are very happy after adopting and it gives us a lot of positive energy. Though, I must confess that there are times when I feel whether I will be able to do justice to the whole arrangement.
    You must agree that if some problem arises with a biological kid nobody doubts your decision to have that baby but in case of an adopted child, any problem will only raise eyebrows, even from your closest relatives. Moreover, we are also a bit particular about the colour of the baby that it should slightly match ours since that will be better for the baby's future also, and all the agency guys have nodded in agreement that this is in best interest for the baby.
    These are real life situations that couples like you and us will have to face in the future, I am just trying to be realistic...............no intention of discouraging you!!!!
    Hope we get all the good guidance and support especially from GOD for taking the biggest decision of our life!!!!!!!!
    AMEN