1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My Dear GFs, Please Forgive Me! I Lied!

Discussion in 'Wednesdays with Varalotti' started by varalotti, Mar 25, 2008.

1. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

Dear Devika Menon,

I know, Devika, about your reading my poem earlier. I saw your fb there. It made me really, really happy.

Only after reading fbs of all my GFs there I realised what a blessing I have got. These ladies will not hesitate to appreciate good work whoever might be the doer. Nor will they hesitate to condemn something bad, whoever may be the author.

I am very happy to learn that you enjoy reading my posts. For I have always seen you as a silent observer of my forum.

No, Devika, it was not April Fool coming a few days early. To the best of my knowledge none of us were fooled. But if at all anybody was fooled it was yours truly. I was fooled both by your unconditional love and your discerning readership.

thanks once again.
    regards,

2. varalotti

Dear Lalitha,
    What is this you are talking about? The first sentence in your post talks about "great punishment" but all the subsequent lines are describing great, sweet rewards.
    To enjoy more and more of your love and affection, to eat lunch/dinner with you all, (why just Madurai or Bangalore, even if it's Timbuktu, I'm game) - these are all sweetest rewards one can ever hope to get.

When it comes to poems (and for that matter in matters of prose too) I have never gone above the simple. I love simple words for the simple reason that they are the only ones I understand.
    Many a time when I happened to read the work of a great author, I had to have a dictionary in the other hand. And soon enough, I will be reading more of the dictionary and less of the book. In those moments of frustration I vowed that if at all I wrote, it will be with the simplest of words. My readers should not be running for the dictionary.

I am happy that you have given such a nice punishment. Happier still that you read the poem and happier even more that you liked it.
    love,

3. varalotti

Dear Pushpavalli,

In terms of writing popularity I can be called the Reverse Sujatha. Even his dhobi list would get published. In my case I am sure many of my stories I sent to magazines would have been used to write dhobi lists. As of now I enjoy a high rejection percentage of 60% plus.

In the case of my earlier poems I received fairly good fb from IL GFs. But my GFs outside had told me clearly: "Sridhar, your prose is poetic, but your poems, prosaic."
    Another problem with my poems are that I belong (if at all) to the oldest school of poetry. In a poem we look for rhyming, easy to remember words and above all some powerful, different message. I am incapable of this "stream of consciousness" writing.
    Even now I remember the poem Even This Shall Pass Away. I remember the last lines describing a king, very old and expecting death. This King would have a ring with the words "Even this shall pass away" inscribed on it.
    The last few lines go like this:

"As an answer to the king
    Fell a sun beam on the ring
    "Even death shall pass away"

A punishment handled by Sriniketan and seconded by Pushpavalli, not only a GF but also the mother of GF.... how can I ever imagine refusing it... Fully accepted. And will be adhered to strictly till I breathe my last.
    regards,

4. varalotti

Thanks dear GF.
    But there was no mention about the poem? Was it that bad, GF?
    regards,

5. slp807

slp807 Bronze IL'ite

wow!!! Sridhar sir,

wonderfully written :bowdown, now we have another poet in IL.....
    i second Sriniketan about the punishment , u need to write more and more..

waiting for the next one...

6. varalotti

Dear Chithra,

Well that was a really poetical reply, Chithra. Though the rainbow has seven colours even a layman to physics like yours truly will know that it is but one colour, white, which gets broken up into seven colours, when light passes through a prism. In the case of a rainbow suspended water drops act like a prism through which sun light passes through to create the magic of a rainbow.

Do you know that you cannot see any rainbow between 8 30 AM and 3 30 PM? The inclination of the light rays will not be enough during those hours.

Love,

Last edited: Mar 27, 2008
  7. varalotti

Dear Vidya,

I saw your post there itself. But believe me Vidya, had you not replied here, I would have gone there lifted your work from there and would have brought it here myself and then would have given my reply.

Your practised prose form is way more poetic than my unpractised poetic form. The most concrete evidence is your very matured, soft, firm and a very pointed and considered response in A Love Story for you thread. For me it is the finest post of March along with Kamlas reply to Ramya Varadharajan, whatever you girls of FP forum may decide.

What words, Vidya. For a moment I forgot these words describe my attempt at poetry. You have made my day for all days to come. I think someday you should start a forum in IL on How to Write a FB. Count me as your first student.

Dhanyoham, Vidya.
    regards,

regards
    Vidya[/quote]

8. varalotti

Thanks Srilatha. No, no please do not count me as a poet. This poem is an inspiration which was in the making for 6 months and more.
    Vadivelu, the comedian, should not aspire to become the hero.
    Varalotti, the kadhai sollli should not aspire to become a kavignar.
    Thank God Sriniketan left the punishment open - she just said write more. And did not insist write more poetry. Then it would have been a real punishment. More for my GFs than for me.
    regards,

9. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sridhar,
    Well, I happened to read your reply before you "edited" it !
    In my excitement of posting a "poem", I seem to have missed it ! I realised it much later. But, I thought, why a formality between GFs ! It was not intentional at all, Dear Sridhar.
    See, how I have made up !
    Love,
    Chithra.

10. sudhavnarasimhan

sudhavnarasimhan Silver IL'ite

Dear Sridhar,

I am really not surprised at your attempt at poetry....we have seen it before.
    Also the content is true to all the philosophical, spiritual sharing you have done with us all here. But by asking MJ to post it first, you got your unadulterated praise, which is what u were expecting i guess!
    Good work.....i have nothing left to say , looks like all ur GFs have sadd it all....so i just second all of them. Just finished reading all the wonderful fbs also.
    So you have managed to surprise Indhu also. beware she my depend or expect poems from you for all occasions now!Big Laugh