1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My Dear GFs, Please Forgive Me! I Lied!

Discussion in 'Wednesdays with Varalotti' started by varalotti, Mar 25, 2008.

1. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

God is love and love is God

Love is a rainbow of many hues
    One shade is of a mother’s love
    Next of the child for its mother
    Then comes the love between friends
    The love between master and disciple
    Most celebrated love between lovers
    Love between spouses mirrors life
    The deepest is the hue of Eternal Love for God.

Each of these shades is but one
    In the colour of Universal Love called God !

Love,
    Chithra.

2. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

Dear Malathi,
    Let me thank you again for playing along.

Nice words, thank you once again.

Well, here comes the problem with words. Love and Justice are totally different.
    I will tell you a story (a story which I have told a hundred times and now it is part of the spiritual book). Once Napolean sentenced one of his soldiers to die. The soldier's mother sought audience with Napolean. "I am pleading mercy" she cried.
    "But your son does not deserve mercy" Napolean shouted back at her.
    To which the old mother replied, "If he deserved then it wont be mercy. It will be justice. I have come here not for justice but for mercy."
    Napolean saw the truth in her argument and melted. The soldier was saved.
    If God is perfectly just it will be difficult for people like me to survive. We all live, breathe, eat and are happy because God is more of love than of justice.
    Because God is a personification of love he has given us things that we do not deserve.
    You may search in my forum for my past poems. Or go to the index. If you can't find them let me know. I will help you.

I have no inhibitions about the ILites. My inhibitions were about my poem writing abilities which have now been cleared in this particular instance.

If God decides to gift some more undeserving gifts, then who knows, I may write more poems.
    regards,

3. varalotti

My Dear Cheeniya Sir,

I already feel like having won some prestigious award for the poem. Your visit here and your comments in the Indian poems section are real rewards for my writing. I have not heard about Poothanam and Gnappana so far. That was filling some gaps in my education as well. A very profound incident.

The word 'deserve' is an obscene word when it is used in our relationship with God. It is easy for us to whine that God has given us much less than what we deserve. When I was apprenticing for CA, I saw my schoolmate who had run away before the SSLC exams even started, flourishing as the citys greatest tailor. There was a queue outside his shop. At that time I nursed a grievance against God which lasted till I found a far better student than mine in a much lowly position. Then I decided that God operates on love and not on justice, at least not on justice as understood by us, human beings.

That's my Gnanpit and Sahitya Academy rolled into one, Anna.
    regards,

4. varalotti

Oh Shanthi,
    I did not doubt my GFs. I could not do that even in the wildest of my dreams. I only doubted by poem writing skills.
    And one doubt I had about all of you my dear GFs was that like God, your love for me could overshadow your judgmental powers.
    I will have to make one more confession now, Shanthi. In case the review about the poem was not good, I had decided not to reveal the authorship at all.
    That's cowardice, right?

That's amazing. There is nothing in the poem about Madurai or chariots.

I think I am seeing that smiley being used at the right place. With the chair and the face beneath it, it aptly describes my act.
    You know playing with and teasing GFs is an integral part of friendship. When I want to play, will you, my GFs, not indulge me?

Thanks Shanthi.

5. varalotti

Sriniketan,
    I think GF's law is one of the most wonderful legal systems in the world. That's because even the punishment here is sweet and is more of a reward than a punishment.
    But kidding apart, Sriniketan, I fully accept the punishment you have given me.

I think that's where Malathi let the cat out of the bag. (In fact she has not yet nominated .... ha ha ha.. I was teasing you Malathi)

Thanks for the green signal. You can expect more of it in the future.

Sriniketan, did you find out where was the correction made? Refer my post in this thread asking my GFs to find out the place where the poem was corrected.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2008
  6. varalotti

Dear Aruna,

I object the statement, Your Honour. The statement should have been worded like this:
    Now you are talking like a real GF. Thanks for the Wow. When I feel like testing your patience, I'll surely write more poetry.

By the way, did you find out where did I make the correction in the poem?
    love,

7. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Dear Sridhar,

I had already posted my appreciation in MJ's thread. But then sudenly recalled, that you will not respond unless we specifically address the post to you. So, decided to post it again to grab some attention.

Needless to say was also tempted to verse in reply. But me being no MJ or Shanvy or Cheeniya or AC or the other starwalt poets in IL, I decided to stick to my practiced prose form.

What a poem! Not just a poem, it is a stuti, a psalm, a hymn! You have written from your soul. You know what this poem reminded me of. Let me explain. There have been waves in poetry from old ballads to most modern The Fib.This poem is more the classical type. The ones like Father Williams, Squirrel and the Mountain. Something Longfellow about this. This is stuff that should be prescribed, memorised at 10 years and then recalled when one is 80years in fulfilled tranquillity.You should write more and more. God has been unfair to you yet again (by your own admission). He has given you the gift of true poetry.

regards
    Vidya

8. varalotti

Dear Indhu,

You overwhelmed once again by not only praising me but also thanking all the ILites, MJ who agreed to play along and being a poet herself, consenting to post my poem, Cheeniya Sir for his words of blessing and for giving one more piece of powerful knowledge to me, and to all the GFs (not just my GFs dear, our GFs) who appreciated the poem.

I have already accepted the punishment given by Sriniketan under the GF Law and have written to her that it is actually a reward and not a punishment. There is another GF waiting for me with another sweet punishment down the line.

Above all I am also ready to accept the punishment which you, as my GF, as an ILite and finally as my DW may choose to give.

Unlike my other writings I did not just scribble off this poem. I was writing it for months on end. I remember to have started sometime before my US trip. And was adding a line or two every now and then.

This happened several years back, Indhu. I came to know of a CA who did not do well in his studies but was doing great in his career. He was a globe trotter and was making as much money in a month, as I can ever hope to do in my entire career. I am an ordinary man with an even more ordinary mind. I felt a mild resentment. I did not have the heart to address this resentment to my greatest GF, God Herself. But somehow somewhere I got this piece of humbling wisdom. I don't remember whether a friend told me or I read it somewhere or it was just a random thought happening in the mind. (SHE can communicate to us in these ways and a billion other ways which we do not even know) I have dramatized the process for sustaining interest.

"Now, Sridhar, what's your problem? You think that a person with lesser intelligence is more successful, right?"
    "Yes.. but..."
    "But by your own admission, I gave you more intelligence than that man, right?"
    "Yes... but you see..."
    "Wait. You think that I am unfair in distributing "success" between you two. And you know he thinks, that I have been unfair in distributing "intelligence" between you two. Now tell me sridhar, who should I listen to?"
    And then it hit me that SHE acts only and purely out of love and not justice or fairness. And may be that was the seed for this poem.

Normally anything I write I first submit to your editorship before it goes out of my system. Please forgive me for violating that rule. You may give me another punishment for that also.

I too liked her words and I hope you might have seen my reply to her.

Thanks for the very nice, poetic expression.

Thanks once again,
    love,
    sridhar

9. Malathijagan

Malathijagan Silver IL'ite

Dear Chithra,
    That was an excellent one! So you are a great poetess too! I think you should submit one every day as you submit recipes.
    Regards,
    Malathi

10. varalotti

Dear Usha,
    What did I do to get this kindness, this adoration from you. May my God make me deserve it sometime.
    More than me my wife melted on seeing your words. Yesterday morning she was repeatedly saying, did you see sundarusha's reply.

Yes, Usha. You are right. This world is the school premises. Our life is our class. And this kind teacher comes in several forms. At times as our mother at times as our child at times as a stray dog or even an inanimate object. And when we do not listen to Her, unlike the worldly teachers, She does not punish us or fails us in the examination. She gives the lesson again and again. A billion times if necessary.
    love,