1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My Dear Friend’s Birthday!!! - Ganesh Chathurthi!!!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Malar2301, Mar 16, 2011.

1. Malar2301

Malar2301 Gold IL'ite

“A friend is one that knows you as you are, understands where you have been, accepts what you have become, and still, gently allow you to grow.” – William Shakespeare

As everyone would agree, a Friend plays an important and unforgettable part in one’s life. I’m not an exception to it. This friend of mine is so very special to me and though my friend may not be present physically with me, I have a portrait of my friend in my desk at office, as a wallpaper in my mobile and desktop and in my house as well – always in front of my eyes!!!

I’m astounded to share the birthday celebrations of such a friend. To me my friend’s birthday is like a festival. To my surprise, not only for me it seems to be very special, but for others too. We celebrate our birthdays at the maximum for a day or two, but this friend of mine will be having the celebrations for a week and more!! Are you very curious to know who my FRIEND is? He is none other than cute, chubby, plump, and my sweet little Ganesha!!! Yeah of course…I’m speaking about Ganesh Chathurthi!!!

I still remember, as a child I always used to look for Ganesh Chathurthi. In Vellore where I lived my childhood days, that too in my area, in every street people will collect funds and arrange big Ganapathy statues. Each Ganapathy statue will be unique and will be a theme based. But the statues will not be revealed until the GC. Various avatars of my friend will be covered and kept as secret. The josh will start at least one week before the GC (Ganesh Chathurthi). I will watch all the ones on my way to school and on my way back to home. I will literally wait for the GC (as if it was my birthday…).

On the day of GC, before even my mom’s wakes me up, I used to get up. There were couples of instance where I used to get up and wake my parents. My father and I used to get ready by 7 AM in the morning. My father in the traditional wear and myself in pattu paavaadai!!! We go to the nearby market to bring home my dear Ganapathy. Here in Chennai, I see only “achu Pillaiyar”. But in Vellore, they use to make Ganapathy statues little bigger (in clay only...). Every shop will have number of Ganapathy statues; everyone looks similar and so cute. We will go to anyone shop and my father will leave the decision to me to choose one among them. Like love at first sight or the first impression is the best impression, I will select the one which I get impressed on seeing first without second choice. We used to take a plate with little bit of rice in it. The shopkeeper will place the Ganapathy statue in the plate and give some extra clay to support him in the plate.

Next we will hunt for buying others things for my friend. My father will have the plate in hand, and me next to him will walk so proudly often turning towards my Ganesha and will give him a smile. My father will have a huge list of things that has to be bought for his birthday party. And my favorite thing is the little umbrella we get for him. I’m so very choosy in getting him the best. And after buying all stuff, we will walk home. My pride will grow high as everyone will be seeing us having our Ganesha. I have a great feeling that my Ganesha only looks so good. (It’s all born with the childishness…).

After reaching home, we will place Ganapathy in the pooja room. And my dad will go for his office, as he has to put pooja in his office as well. Cooking section will be busily occupied by my mother. And pooja section will be allotted to me. First thing was, I will give bath to the Ganapathy statues that we have at home. As it is his special day, I give him bath with milk, curd, paneer, sandhanam, javadhu powder and lot many. After which I will keep good bhindhis in sandhanam. My little friend will be waiting to wear his new dress. Brand new dothi and angavasthiram will be ready for him to wear. Will make ready and will place in the Pillaiyar manai (stage kind of stuff to place the statues).

Next comes my most favorite one, is getting ready my Ganapathy statue that we bought newly. I have a makeup kit separately kept for my Ganesha every year. First to start with, I will open up his eyes with kajal. Wow!!! He will look awesome (believe me!). Next I will start with other makeup stuff like blush powder, eye lashes, jikinas, etc. Oh! My lord will look like a cini star!!! Then I will tie him the silk dothi and angavasthiram. Then will add jewels to his beauty. Finally I will place the little umbrella. Oh my goodness….en kanne pattudum pola irukum. (He will look so very beautiful that everyone will keep an eye on him).

After finishing pooja, I will go for a visit for all the statues that will be kept in and around our area. The josh will continue for three days. Those three days I’ll be literally flying. I’ll say him bye before leaving to school and as soon as I return will go and wish him. No one can catch me. But on the third day, my father and mother will make him ready to send him to the temple. There were days where I cried plainly. I used to ask my parents “why can’t we have him with us itself…I feeling very bad ma…please do not take away him from me…” My parents have to convince me a lot. Still I won’t be able to tolerate. I’ll go along with my dad to leave my little friend in the temple. I will see lot many there and my dad will my little one there among the others. Then we lit the camper and finally we pray and we will return. I will keep on turning back to see him until he goes away from my eyes.

The impact will be there for a month or so and then I will be back to normal. Once again I will start to wait for another birthday of HIS.

And as I said, I have him in my desk, in mobile, in laptop and at home.

Hope you enjoyed my friend’s birthday!!!

2. SARASVADIVU

SARASVADIVU Silver IL'ite

Hi malar,

Choooooooooooooo Cuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuute

Treating God as a friend: Yeah! I can relate well with this concept.:bowdown

Your narration is awesome malar; I liked the way you described the decration:

"Next comes my most favorite one, is getting ready my Ganapathy statue that we bought newly. I have a makeup kit separately kept for my Ganesha every year. First to start with, I will open up his eyes with kajal. Wow!!! He will look awesome (believe me!). Next I will start with other makeup stuff like blush powder, eye lashes, jikinas, etc. Oh! My lord will look like a cini star!!! ":rotfl

Keep it up malar!!

:cheers
    Saras

3. Keerti16

Keerti16 Silver IL'ite

Dear Malar,

That was really cute and sweet. Liked the alamgaram part a lot! :thumbsup

Cheers

4. ILoveTulips

ILoveTulips IL Hall of Fame

Very cute dear Malar... My favorite God is Lord Ganesha too. I have His pic in my mobile desktop. I believe He is looking up for me every moment and takes care of me all the time. If I have any issues I just tell Him and He will take care of that.

I never celebrated Chathurthi like you said... You really really seem to enjoy doing everything you said... Its very sweet to read.... Very nice in getting to know you more Love...

ILT

5. iniyamalar

iniyamalar Gold IL'ite

That was such a sweet post.:)
    Its true that Ganesha is one lord who is so sweet and a great choice for a best friend(he always listens with a great big smile. doesn't he?)

My husband is from vellore too and only after marriage we do this (same kind of celebration) in our house. Before marriage I used to do this makeup kit stuff to amman on the golu days(9 days 9alangaram - my fav).

Now this. Though I am not a puja kind of woman I love to bathe and adorn the little pillayar in our house. And how i got angry when he didn't drink milk once (i hope u remember that famous incident).

It is really amazing to know that you did abishekam and alangaram even when you were a kid. You are really blessed my dear...:thumbsup

Please read my first blog when you have time. I started blogging with Ganapathi. vaa vaa vinayaka

6. Malar2301

Malar2301 Gold IL'ite

Dear Saras,

Thanks for accepting my point of being friend with god/godess. I know you would definitely agree. After reading your posts on godess Sarasvathi, I felt it. Once again thanks for sharing your views.

7. Malar2301

Malar2301 Gold IL'ite

Thanks a lot Keetri for your compliments!!! Happy that you liked tha alamgaram part!! :)

8. iswaryadevi

iswaryadevi Platinum IL'ite

That was a very sweet blog Malar. Enjoyed reading the same :)

9. rayhaan

rayhaan Bronze IL'ite

That was a very well explained “Birthday ”. Lucky must be your friend- Lord Ganesha!! Happy to know your childhood delighted days:) Keep writing Malar!!

10. Malar2301

Malar2301 Gold IL'ite

Thanks my dear tulips!! Happy to know that you too like Ganesha and have him in your mobile desktop. And overwhelmed by your faith in him. Keep having it dear...Thanks again for your wonderful wishes. :)