1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My Daughters

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Kamalji, Sep 4, 2007.

1. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

My Daughters

Reminded me of the time we had the daughters.The First one Radhika,was born the day Infosys was born, 2nd july 81,in Mumbai.Since i had just shifted to Jaipur,mom and dad suggested that wife deliver in mumbai,it was fine with me.She went a month before,and here i was busy with my new found business.

Radhika,the moment she was born,she created a ruckus.they put her in the nursery in the hospital, where there were other kids,who poor souls were sleeping soundly, and my dau had to yell and rant,and all the kids joined in the chorus.the nurse scolded my wife that u have not fed the child,and wife assured here that she did,and for the next few days that we were there, she created terror in the hospital.So i call her " Terrorist".How time flies.Shes now married, and i look forward to a junior terrorist,and looking forward to being a granddad,lets see when i am blessed with it.

Radhika was very demanding as a kid.I did not have servants then, and she wanted to be carried the whole day.And wouldnt drink milk,and i had to drive her in my old rickety Fiat,around the lane,and she would drink the milk and fall asleep.What an expensive milky ride that was.But she was happy with the silliest of the toys,and the lousiest of the stories i would tell her.

Sundays, those days in the afternoons i would go to play billiards,and she would not leave me,and want to come with me.Here,billiards is a boy's game,and all males are there.What would she do there among my friends?So i would tell her a silly story.Radhika,today a red and a blue monkey came to our house and started to fight.the police came and caught both of them and they are in the police station.their parents have come and asked me to release them,as they know that the policeman is my friend.She would say, OK Papa, go and get them released and bring them here,so i will also scold them.Ok beta, bye.And i would scoot off to my jaunt,and on return tell her that they ran away from the lock up,and they will come to meet u tommorrow,with their parents and bring some sweets for you.Next day i would buy some toffees for her and tell her the monkeys came and kissed u while u were sleeping,and they left these toffees for you.And Radhika was silly enough to beleive me and myu corny stories.She would kill me today if i told her something fo that sort.

In between Wife got pregnant,and the Doc suspected something and told us to get a sonography done,and lo ! it showed we had twins.But unfortunately there was a problem, and they were dead on birth.

When wife was pregnant the 3rd time, i told her, we may now have triplets.Because the first try had one, the second had two,and by laws of averages,we should have 3 now.And as someone said,Kamalji is a Marwari Sindhi,he is right.It made perfect sense, that in the price of one delivery, i would get 3 kids,and save the cost on the other two.And wife too would save on two labour pains.

But God did not want me to get the lottery, but to earn my daily bread.So we were blessed with Shoba on Valentine's day 14th Feb 87.It was years later i came to know that 14th Feb is Valentine's Day.She was a sweet kid,when she was born, she was just smiling and smiling,and I knew i have a sweet girl on hand.

And i had wished for two daughters as we have only sons in the family,and god was wise enough to listen to me.Thanks boss.And i like Girls better than boys. They request for something, boys Demand.Now in her final year of her BA English Honours,she is doing well.Shes just returned from her trip to Indonesia and Singapore and still in Mumbai making merry with her cousins and my mom.

How time flies,soon she too will go away to her life partner in a few years,and what will be left for me is my wife,my friends,my memories, and Indus

Thank you Indus for having given me the opportunity to write,and given such wonderful friends and readers, who read the rantings of a silly old man, who thinks he is another Khuswant Singh..thank you once again.

KAMAL MAHTANI

sindmani likes this.

2. mithili

mithili New IL'ite

GOSH I SWEAR UR WITS!! DEFINETKY DAUGHTERS HAVE A BETTER SAY THAN GUYS ...COS THEY ARE EASY TO BE FOOLED AWAY WITH LOVE....BUT U MADE IT INTERESTING!!!:clap .....MY DAD WUD MAKE THA SAME STORIES SO SERIOUS WE WUD BE SO WILD WHEN WE CAME TO KNOW THY WERE JUST FOOLING US AROUND ....BUT SURE I PRACTISE THE SAME WITH MY KIDS AS WELL AND MY SON ...THOUGH 7 ...IS SO INTELLIGENT THT HE CAN IDENTIFY MY PRANKS...AND ALERTS HIMSELF...BUT MY DAUGHTER AS USUAL GETS FOOLED AWAY FOR PEACE....

3. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Kamalji
    That was indeed a nostalgic recap!
    I am happy that you belong to my league. I too have two daughters and having got married early, I became a grandfather when I was just 50! My grandson Tarun is 14+ but already a towering, handsome fellow! At 6 feet , he is slightly taller than me! Then my second daughter gifted me with two lovely grand daughters, Kavya and Kriti both keeping me engaged all the time.
    But let me tell you that it is not as easy to bring up girls now as it was when we were parents. And the present parents are not as patient as we were. They want instant results and are fiercely ambitious about their children. They are busy too and more weighed down with professional pressures than we were. That makes them very irritable too and the resultant arguments between parents and children at times go beyond a limit.
    Another difficult aspect is sibling rivalry and the parents neither take cognizance of it nor have the patience to deal with it scientifically. They just shout their children down.
    I guess that the next generation will be even more different!
    Sri

Last edited: Sep 4, 2007
  4. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

Dear kamalji,
    a good one, i also join the gang as i have 2 daughters and the first one was equally tantramatic and sure the second one is a lot subdued, and i know they will make their way out, but for some reasons i feel girls have greater affinity towards the father, like in my article how we admire our men, the love starts very young and father is in the receiving end of the first infatuation in a woman's life.. sunkan

5. Jananikrithsan

Jananikrithsan Gold IL'ite

Dear Kamalji,
    Reading your nostalgic post made me think of my daughers who are no ess than any boys of their age. The older one will not accept when we tell her the pranks she was upto in her younger years, They say girls grows faster, that's true, very true.Enjoyed reading your post as always. All are very well written!!!!!!

6. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Mithiliji,

Well children are the same really.So u can fool yr daughter more than yr son eh !

I love daughters and god was kind enough to listenm to me.Thanks and regards.kamal

7. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Sri,

thank u for yr kind comments.I agree with u, todays parents are very pushy.Every parent wants everything of their child to be the talking point in their society like which top school they go to, what extracurricular activities they indulge in, the exotic holdiays they went to,etc etc.

A lot of unnecessarily flows down the drain,and with parents working in a highly competitive atmosphere,their child must come out first in School,in dance, etc.In short the child must be a Superman.

And yes, we as parents were much different taking each day at a time,u rightly say god know how the future parents will be.

Regards.kamal

8. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Sunkan,

So u are in my club of 2 daughters eh ! Dont people tell u to try for a son ?They told me, but i just ignored them.My parents were happy with 2 daughters,they never told me anything.I am more than pleased with the two, and dont desire a son.

Yes girls love their fathers more, and i am glad both love me , and for me too they are the apple of my eye.

thanks and regards.kamal

9. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Janani ji,

thank u so much for yr kind words.Thanks to Sunkan, who dragged me here,and i too am glad to have come here and met wonderul people like u , Sri and so many others.Thank u all so much.Regards.kamal

10. slp807

slp807 Bronze IL'ite

Kamlaji,

nice article!!!!