1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My daughter gets easily distracted while studying

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by Amarpreetkochar, Aug 20, 2009.

1. Amarpreetkochar

Amarpreetkochar Junior IL'ite

My daughter is very less attentive in school and is usually doing mischief. She cannot learn one lesson until I make her rather force her to do so. Many teachers complaint about her. What to do for making her more attentive?

2. priya5474

priya5474 New IL'ite

Hi

I have a son who gets distracted very easily during studies. I have listed the causes and resolution that worked for me.

1. They need to watch the special program of their choice
    I give him his time for TV watching say 4.30 to 5.20 in the evening and 7.45am to 8.15am in the morning.
    He gets to watch almost all the programs of his choice and he is satisfied and konws amma will allow him to watch TV tomorrow same time.
    2. They get distracted by noisy environment (be it due to TV / others talking etc)
    I try and take him to isolation , hug him and kiss him before I ask him to sit for study.
    3. They have not got something to eat which they had wanted just before sitting for the study.
    My son would ask for some eatables at home. If I say you can have it later and take him for study, i'm done for, every 5 mins he will want to go for urine or for water just to try his luck on grabbing that snacky. This I realised shortly and gave him the snack he wanted and then made him to study.
    4. They see the younger (toddlers if any) playing around when they study.
    I try not to allow the young one's come near him and pretend to scold her and ask her to study as well or just close the door of the study room.
    5. They did not understand what is taught - This is a possible key issue for most of the kids. Kids will want to escape from something that they don't understand and create a kind of aversion. Explain as many times as needed to make the kid understand. May be for that subject alone you could place some extra coaching and support from school side in the form say tuitions. But tuitions again shouldn't become yet another school for her. You should carefully look for a dedicated teacher who can give personal care to your kid to make her understand what she is weak in.

IMPORTANT: If he is not scoring even after effective backup then please do not scold the kid. Continously encourage him stating that this is not what you are capable of, I know you are a genius and you are capable of more. This will surely encourage / motivate the kid to score more.
    It is not that we should not scold / beat the kids. It is worth once a while but when we do it often, they get used to it and finally nothing results out of it.

The above strategy is my way of parenting. I too have lot more issues with my kid which I'm trying to cope / handle with. For instance, when I call him over phone, he will not respond and would have the receiver in his ears but keep on watching the tv as it is his tv time that i will call him up to instruct on his plans for rest of day . I will be in the office during his return from school so I would prefer calling him as soon as he returns from school. I'm trying truely not to disturb him during his tv time :)

Like wise, just try to understand the ROOT CAUSE for your daughters distractions and help her cope with it.:hiya

3. lesasue86

lesasue86 New IL'ite

First of all, how old is she? If you force her too much then she will not listen to you at all.