1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My Dad

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Kamalji, Aug 29, 2007.

1. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

My Dad

My Dad left us 11 years back.I remember him everyday.Whenever i am in a sticky situation, i just have to close my eyes,and imagine what Dad would have done ,and lo i have the solution.He was a very farsighted person,let me give u a few examples, of how differeant and farsighted he was.

1) Pakistan - He came with his mother and grandmother from Pakistan during the partition,penniless,eating in the govt mess,and the RSS camps.All his life he was broke,but he never lost heart.He had lost his father when he was 12 or so.And he took care of his mother and grandmother,who too was widowed.

2) 4 Sons - He made sure that each had hos own seperate business,and seperate houses,and he gave them that.He did not want the ladies to spoil the show,nor the brothers to fight in the same family business.So iwas settled in jaipur soon after my marriage,and he bought me a bunglow here,and gave me my capital to start my business.

The other 3 were settled in mumbai,one brother given the export office,and a seperate flat immediatly after his marriage.Two of my brothers stay with mom now,and after her the property is split between those two equally, we two having being given our share.

We brothers have different habits and spending and earning graphs.But we are always happy for each other.Because we dont tred on each others toes,and the ladies and the kids are like one,speaking on the phone frequently.

3) Drinks - He encouraged us to drink, but at home under his watchful eyes.And told us our friends are welcome to come and have a drink.How many fathers are like that.That is one reason we like to drink with our family around,and not in bars and restaurants.

4) 1994 Sitapura - Dad used to come to jaipur 3 to 4 times a year and he used to love it here.He came to know that the RICCO,the state body, has constructed an Export Zone for Garment Exporters,whereby the Govt was giving away land to Registered Exporters for 250/- per yard,.with concessional electrictiy and the works.I was operating out of my Bunglow as other exporters were doing,and he forced me to buy a 1500 yds at Sitapura,at 250 per yd,and got my mumbai brother to also buy one 1200 yds at the same price.

It was a new concept,and there were not many takers.But Dad could dictate terms,and he told us Sitapura is the future.I scoffed at Dad,and two years later he died.I surrendered the land back to Ricco, and they cut 50/- per yard and returned me the money,as also my brother did.The traveling time of 30 minutes seemed long for a jaipurite like me,which is nothing for a Mumbaite.And here I just had to climb up one storey to be in my office.

Today my Mumbai brother has shifted to Jaipur,and he wants to buy land over at Sitapura,as most of the Garment Eporters have shifted there,and there is no land available but in resale.Today the rate is guess what ? 8000 per sq yard.And today he wants to buy just 500 yds,as we cant afford to pay more.

If we had just kept the land,the value would have been 2700 yds x 8000 = 2 crores. My dad told us,keep the land,jaipur is fast developing,and how right he was and how foolish I and my brother were.Thats life,dear friends.Its a lot of money,for us, I dont know about u guys.Today who has come to Sitapura,but Infosys and Gen Next,and Wipro is coming soon.

He never spent on himself,but for us anything,but to be fair,we never asked him anything atroicous.He was very modern in his thoughts and ideas,and what we all 4 are, is because of this one man called Dad.He settled us all, never forced us to go take jobs.He said better to earn 10,000 in yr own business than to work for 20000 with someone.He taught us to be honest,never to eat anyones money,and to never lend to a friend or relative any big amounts.

He told us, lend as much as u are willing to say Goddbye to it.Yes Dad,Iam all bcs of you,and it is my good fortune to have been born as your son.I just wish, that in every Birth that i take,I want u and mom and my brothers and everyone to be again a part of me.

Mom stays in Mumbai with two of my brothers,and we all make sure,that she is happy,and never to feel that Dad is no more.

I just wish u were around today,I would give away everything I have, just to have u with me.Thank you Dad, for having chosen me to be your son.I did not deserve it,but thanks Dad.God bless you.

KAMAL MAHTANI

2. arch174

arch174 Senior IL'ite

HI kamalji,
    gud to read ur post...ur father was indeed very far-sighted..signs of a gud businessman...:2thumbsup:
    it is amazing to know that with nothing he could build upto everthing...
    I sometimes feel that not having much is a great push becoz if people have little bit..(maybe earned by parents)..they become lazy & do not want to work hard...maybe they have fear of losing wot they have..theydo not want to take any risks..
    Anyway thanx for sharing..

3. Jananikrithsan

Jananikrithsan Gold IL'ite

Such a wonderful, caring father you were blessed to have, lucky you. He truly cared to see the family happy even when he was gone. Only when families are together and in the same business opinions vary and there will be unwanted misunderstandings. Really nice post, Kamalji

4. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Arch

Well i could not help it if dad wanted to give me money could i?:-( But we took care to build on it,but all thanks to him for what we are all.Regards.kamal

Jananiji

Thanks for visiting.Yes if we were in the same business,we brothers would be fighting with each other.And the ladies good they are seperate.You know how many problems are there these days.

When my wife goesto mumbai, all the bahus have the fun, the children get along fine,and we keep talking toe ach other almost daily for a few mins.

Thanks and regards.kamal

5. arch174

arch174 Senior IL'ite

Hello Kamalji,
    Nothing personal in wot I said earlier..but u will also agree with my general observation...
    the very fact that u appreciated ur father's efforts seperates u from the others..
    U took care to further ur dad's dreams..which will definitely pass to ur next generation..gud values r learnt by example...ur father was the best example..
    I apologise if I have hurt ur feelings...

I have often heard people say..if only my father had set up some business..
    I tell them ur children should not say same abt u..

6. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Arch,

No u have not hurt my feelings, dont worry,please.what u said was right in fact.

I have a very thick skin,so just dont worry.And what use this forum would be if we cant discuss things.We all have our own views and we have every right to express them, even if we dont agree on certian points..

Your points are very valid and true,relax friend.Regards.kamal

7. Vysan

Vysan Gold IL'ite

Dear Kamalji,

That is great.... Your father has planned and guided your life to prosperity.

In todays materialistic world where the sons inspite of inheriting quite a hand ful throwing the parents out.... You remember him.... All salutes..... It is more than the money the family values that is being imbibed in the sons is worth appreciating...

My father was working in TNEB for 42 years and all throught the period in Substations in the Industrial Area. He was known for his honesty and sincearity. All his subordinates built 4/5 houses.... But till the end we lived in the rented house/Govt. Qtrs. He always used to tell us never to tell lies and not to accept bribes... and he lived to that. It has gone deep inside us... The other side of the story in todays world because of my honesty & sincereity I am facing lot of probs as i am in accounts.......

Hats off to your Dad...

Keep Going........

Veda

8. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Dear Kamalji,
    You are really a blessed person to have such a nice dad and also a well-knitted family! May God always Bless you and your family.
    Love,
    Pushpavalli

9. malspie

malspie Platinum IL'ite

Hi Kamal,

You are indeed lucky to have a far sighted father. I lost my papa at a very young age, that did not let me lose my determination to achieve what I want to. Today, I have acheived for myself what my papa would have given me if he was alive. but, he is not here to share with me all the pleasure. My mom had the luck to share my happiness.............

Good write up...............

10. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Dear Kamalji,

You have been gifted with such a nice far-sighted and practical father.