1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My Dad and his watches

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by SMG, Dec 31, 2008.

1. SMG

SMG Junior IL'ite

My dad uses only one watch. If that breaks and is beyond repair only then a new one is purchased. In his whole life he must have used about 3-4 watches so far. He daily wore it whether the occasion was a wedding, party or office. When I used to offer him to buy a new one on his birthday he would refuse saying what use does a person have for more than one watch. Then he will start on the uses of a watch and try and lecture me that one watch is good enough because at the end of the day it was required only to tell the time. Then in some years time there used to be a day when the watch stopped and needed a new cell. Daddy dearest being busy with work would always wait for the weekend to put in the new cell. Till that time habit forced him to wear the stopped watch. One day after he returned from work he had a weird smile on his face. I asked him the reason for the grin. He said he found it strange that for as far as he can remember nobody asked him the time as in this modern day with cellphones and all everybody knew the time. But on the ill-fated week when his watch had stopped he was asked twice in the week by strangers to know the time. I was about to say something like you should have had a spare watch then thought and asked him what did he reply to those strangers. He smiled broadly and replied that he pretended to look at the watch to tell the time and then acted surprised that the watch has stopped working.

2. swathi14

swathi14 IL Hall of Fame

Hai SMG

nice experience of your father. Did he bought a new watch / repaired the old watch.

Nice post and I enjoyed reading it. My father is also like your father. He does not have anything spare in dresses, sandals and of course watch.

He will say pointing to my amma "I can manage only one".

Andal

3. SMG

SMG Junior IL'ite

Hi Andal,

First of all i would like to thank you for taking the time out and posting your views. This is my very first blog entry.
    Regarding that watch, he put in a new cell. But now someone who had come back from the US has gifted him a new watch and my mom told me he doesnt knw what to do with the spare.