1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

My crazy week: a story of kindness

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by tashidelek2002, Apr 16, 2010.

1. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

I want to share with you all what happened to me this week (the reason for my abandoning my threads for a few days).

In my area and also due to the recession, jobs are scarce. I had been looking for months for a job and finally at the beginning of the year I got a clerical position at a local school system (I am very much overqualified but I was happy to get this job). My job is in the transportation department and I was hired by a panel of dept members and the head of the school system. The benefits of this job are quite good especially the health insurance and the head of the school system made sure I was hired in time to avail of a better retirement package that was going away as of the first of the year. I have a nice big sunny office all to myself, I have the satellite radio going all day, we have a big full kitchen and no problem eating while I work etc. My boss treats me with respect and they like me a lot.

Now when I was hired I knew that the NY state budget was a big problem. (I am a NYS employee.) As the newest employee in my job classification, I have the least seniority so if there are cut backs in this job class I would be the person who would lose the job. We started getting scary announcements about the budget and I was very concerned. There was a motion made by my union that the others in my job class would take 10 days off with out pay next year in order to save a job. Then I heard that this was not an accepted item. On Monday this week my boss came to me and gave me the news that my job had been eliminated. I was very upset. He was very upset. I went home and had a horrible night wondering how I was going to find another job. Monday night I had a call at 9 pm from the executive board of the local union and they were taking a vote about that ten days off idea. Tuesday morning I had a call from the head of the school system. She gave me the good news that the union's offer had been accepted by the school system and that my job had been saved.
    The eight members of my job class were persistent in their offer to take time off in order that I might have a job. These eight members I have very little or no contact with. They have given up over $1000 a year each that I might save my job. I was amazed at the kindness of these women to help me out. I wanted to share with you all this grand act of kindness and you let you know that there are good people out there who should be recognised in their acts of sacrifice.

2. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

tashi, let me be the first one to congratulate you. It indeed is amazing how people come through for others. You are indeed lucky to have such a supportive group of people around you. I totally understand what you speak of, especially when it is with reference to the school system and the cutbacks that kick in easily or not so easily. Good luck with everything - I am sure you are back with a bang on IL too.

3. desidiva

desidiva New IL'ite

Congratulations!! What a touching act by practically strangers. I am happy for you.

4. Sujimallige

Sujimallige Bronze IL'ite

It is such a breath of fresh air to read about this act of kindness in this dog eat dog world.May they be happy always.

suji

5. radsahana

radsahana Silver IL'ite

dear tashidelek

it is indeed a very unique act of kindness from all the other 8 members of your department. You are really surrounded by good souls.

congratulations and have a gr8 day

6. Nitha J

Nitha J IL Hall of Fame

Tina;
    My heartiest congrats on the job and more importantly surrounded by such wonderful people.
    It is such a lovely gesture. God bless their good hearts.
    -Nitha

7. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

Yes ladies...I was indeed lucky to have the support of the ladies in my job class. There was also an element of union solidarity and I think they were proud of themselves on two fronts: helping me and then on a larger level having a victory against management in a tough environment. The concessions on both sides made this possible.

8. neha1

neha1 Silver IL'ite

Tina,
    Yes,a very kind story indeed. Good to know that we still have ppl like this around and good luck to you too
    It was very nice of you to share such incidents with us. In today's busy world all of us are busy only thinking about problems and good things and acts like this just vanish out of scene.

Neha S

9. Sindhuja

Sindhuja Silver IL'ite

Tashi,
    Congrats! Nice to read about your colleagues. God bless them.
    Your posts are very useful. Keep it going!:thumbsup

best,

10. Ansuya

Ansuya Platinum IL'ite

Tina

I really enjoyed reading your inspiring story. It has reminds me that in an age when it's mostly grand, sweeping gestures of kindness, charity, and generosity that are widely publicised, there are a million little stories like yours that tell exactly the same story (albeit on a smaller scale); how not to forget our humanity even when we are under pressure.

The financial crisis has shaken me to the core, simply because I don't understand much about how stock markets, banks, and the rest work, and so I was quite content to leave it up to the "experts" all these years. This sort of complacency on the part of ordinary consumers like me is partly to blame for the dire situation you, and so many people around the world, had found yourself in.

All countries have problems, and many people suffer as a result. What is significant to note is how these problems are dealt with. When denial, poor or no communication, passing the buck, apathy, blindly following tradition, corruption and other assorted evils prevail, societal problems persist and flourish.

In your case, all the mechanisms in place to deal with this sort of issue worked, and your situation was resolved. It is a great example to me to see how a truly democratic set-up, coupled with goodwill and integrity on the part of individuals involved, can make a huge difference to a person's life. Thank you for the happy ending :)

Last edited: Apr 22, 2010