1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My craze for sarees

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by iyerviji, Apr 15, 2010.

1. iyerviji

iyerviji Finest Post Winner

Dear Usha

Glad to know that your family is crazy of sarees and also to know that you gave away so many sarees including Kanjeevaram. You should have a big heart to give away expensive sarees. All the best to achieve your dream.

love
    viji

2. iyerviji

Dear Anvy

Welcome to IL and to snippets. I am really very happy that your first post is in my thread. When you wear the saree for the first time it is difficult. Good to know your mother is fond of wearing sarees. One day you will also start liking sarees

love
    viji

3. iyerviji

Dear Coffeelover

Good to know you also like sarees especially Mysore silk. I also like Mysore silk very much.

love
    viji

4. iyerviji

Dear Smita

Good to know that both you and your mother are fond of sarees. Sarees give an elegant look. Pure silk sarees look great on anyone

love
    viji

5. Raba

Raba Gold IL'ite

Dear Viji Mam,

Nice post. (Out of curiosity) Can you please add some photos of you wearing your favourite sarees in your album,:). I would like to admire it

I never had interest in sarees. But from last month, because my dad forced to buy some sarees for marriage, i went with my family to buy some. And that turned my interest towards sarees. My dad was surprised to see me buying that many number of sarees:rotfl

With so much experience in buying sarees, i think you can start posting nice tips about buying sarees:)

Keep writing mami:thumbsup

6. iyerviji

Dear Raba

I would try to add the photos. You can see my photo which is there in the album with my favourite Purple colour saree with red border which I had bought from Kumaran Silksin Chennai.

Good to know you like sarees

love
    viji

7. Foundlove

Foundlove Gold IL'ite

Dear Mrs Viji,

Such a wonderful thread.Sarees have always mesmerized me. I love the sensual yards and I think its elegant,demure and sexy at the same time.

I am very much in love with the antique weaving art and love all "pure sarees".

Other than the fancy georgette ones So far I own
    • Benarasi, Kantha,Madhubani, Tant cotton ,Garad,pure Mushirdabad Silk (West Bengal sarees).
    • Paithani,Shalu- Maharashtra or Western plateau.
    • Chanderi,Kota doria ,maheshwari - MP
    • Mekhala chador-Assam
    I am yet to own a kanjeevaram.Please advice as to where to find the best kind.

If people know about more sarees that are pure weaving kind please let me know.

FL

8. sarajara

sarajara Gold IL'ite

Good one Viji Mam!

Saree gives a special look to the one wearing them. We can make it look the wauy we want, respectable, classy, sexy , cool, grand, what ever may be!

Blouses play a major role in this. The hot season of stitching trendy and grand blouses are in now.

I have also admired people who have a great collection of sarees :)
    The first one beiing my mom. I would wait for her to wear a zari b ordered cotton on every friday. She used to look very magnificent in that with a look that commands respect and traditional at the same time.

There had been another teacher who taught me geography in my school complettion days. Iused to love her trendy collection of sarees and stylish blouses at that time even. There were only traditonal blouses at that time.

Now i look forward to see my colleagues come in saree. Because its quite rare to see some one in saree and we wear saree to office if we have some unofficial atmosphere.

9. iyerviji

Dear FL

Glad that you liked the post and glad to know you also like sarees. Oh you have such a nice collection of sarees. For Kancheepuram sarees you can either go to Kancheepuram or you can go to Kumaran silks, Nalli or other silk houses in Chennai.

love
    viji

10. iyerviji

Dear Sara

True sarees give an elegant look. Good to know that your mom has good collection of sarees. My Geography teacher also used to have good collection of sarees and used to look beautiful in sarees. When I was working every Friday I used to wear sarees with zari border. Now a days other than pure silk there are so many types of sarees with zari border. I used to buy like that type of sarees but now not able to wear heavy sarees.

love
    viji