1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My craze for sarees

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by iyerviji, Apr 15, 2010.

1. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Viji

Glad to know that your mami and periamma have good collection of sarees and their choice is super. True in a saree ladies look elegant

love
    viji

2. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Jaya

Good to know you liked my post. Ya I should have taken photo and uploaded. If you want you can see the photos which are in my album.

So you have also a good collection of sarees and like to dress up . Right we both are same

love
    viji

3. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Radheshyam

Glad to hear that your mom has also craze for sarees. I think she has more collections than me. Like your mom I also dont like to buy costly sarees. Costly sarees we can wear only for marriages and parties but for that too now a days many people wear other sarees which look like pure silk sarees. Why simply waste money in costly sarees. Instead for that amount we can buy many sarees.

Your mom makes good use of the sarees by stitching chudidhars, pavadai, pillow covers etc. She is really great

love
    viji

4. Amma15

Amma15 Gold IL'ite

Dear Viji,

I belong to a family of sari crazy women - not designer. Cottons and silks. My mother died 2 years ago at the age of 81yrs. It was amazing the number of sarees we gave away. I alone was able to give my maid and dhobi's mother 10 saris each - including Kanjeevaram! She always had new sarees in her cupboard to give to anyone who visited her!
    My dream is to possess a handloom sari collection - cotton or silk from every part of the country! And my DH is fulfilling it!
    My younger sister ( we are very close ) prefers mainly silk. We are in Dhaka for a short stay and returning end of the month - I have recieved orders from her to get her Rajshahi soft silk sarees! Yes ,Your Highness - I told her !
    Loved this post.

Regards,
    Usha

5. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Shanthi

Glad to know that you also love sarees and you still remember the saree which you wore for the first interview. Good to know that others admired your sarees. You also have a good collection of sarees. Ya in Dubai mostly everyone wears jeans and top or salwar kameez, less people wear sarees. My elder daughter also stays in Dubai and has left most of her sarees here. So I wear her sarees also for functions as if we dont use them they might get spoilt.
    Enjoyed reading your post

love
    viji

6. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Oopal

Good to know you love sarees. All the best for your dream to come true

love
    viji

7. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Mindi

Good to know I sound like you chitti. You are neither boring nor dull , each one is different. My sister is also like you she does not have craze for anything. Though I have craze for everything still I am satisfied with what I have.

I cant keep new sarees for long, either I will gift to someone or I will wear it. Many times I buy sarees which I like very much and then if someone comes suddenly I gift to them. Thats why I get so many sarees from others also.

Now for my dh's nephew's marriage which on 28th May I have got a pure silk saree from by brother in law and also a saree from his sambandi as his wife is no more and we will be doing the vratham for my dh's nephew.

love
    viji

8. anvy

anvy New IL'ite

Hi every one! i wonder reading these threads. I thought sareee is the most complex feminine Costume in the world. the first time I tried it was on my college anniversary day. we all girls decided to wear saree. i told my mom and my mother dressed me (I would rather say"stuffed"me in) in a saree. a Black jacquard chiffon with deep olive green and lavender boarders. she stuffed it with about a dozen safety pins here and there. the whole day I was feeling un easy because of the saree even though all the boys where hanging around me. hehehe. after that a very few occasions i tried saree. even for my wedding I avoided saree because of my discomfort to drape a saree and being around in a saree. but on the contrary my mother falls on the other side. she loves saree,especially chiffons, nylons and satins. reading the threads I feel there is an urge developing in my mind to wear sarees. thanks for all . it wasnice going through the threads. thatnk you very much

9. Coffeelover

Coffeelover Platinum IL'ite

Viji,

I love saris. I loved your reading your post about it. I live in U.S. for long time. Whenever I get a chance, I do wear saris. I collect Mysore silks especially plain saris wear with printed blouses. I have more than 15 black saris. I shop for saris here and in Chennai. Now I have started liking Silk Cotton. I am in collecting spree.

Nothing like wearing a sari.

Good night.

:coffee

10. smitarubinsson

smitarubinsson Gold IL'ite

Hi iyerviji,

Nice to see your enthusiasm written down for all for read. I must admit I'm a big big fan of sarees and so is my mom, both of us cann't get enough. Now I'm in the Uk and because of the weather i am unable to wear sarees or salwar for that matter. But as soon as the sun is out i'm all dressed with matching acessories.
    My friends find it odd that being in my 30's i prefer sarees to modern outfits.
    I am not a fan of the chiffon type sarees which cling to you and show off all your defects but i'm a big fan of pure silks and cotton from anywhere from India.
    waiting to see your collection