1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My craze for sarees

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by iyerviji, Apr 15, 2010.

1. shreyashreyas

shreyashreyas Gold IL'ite

Viji aunty..... my mom and aunt also has many sarees and they share their sarees even now.... I love cotton sarees but as i have become fat now, i am not wearing saree at all.... so I have about 30 sarees most of which bought during my marriage and have not even worn them some 5 times.... let them wait for me to become lean.....

2. Tubelight

Tubelight Bronze IL'ite

Hi Viji
    Enjoyed reading this delightful post.
    It felt like going on a long, jolly, saree shopping spree with a dear friend !:thumbsup

I like chiffons . Am not a great fan of starched cottons ( Tarika, Bengal etc) . Just can't stand organza .
    In cottons, I like Belgaum and Karaikudi Sarees ( also called Cheddinad cotton here)

One saree which I retain like a museum piece is a coffee coloured thin raw silk material ( 6 yards cut from a bale of dress material) on which my mother painted pearly white lillies ( like a border ) with fabric paint and presented for my 18th birthday.

3. Padmini

Padmini IL Hall of Fame

Dear Viji,
    You have written very well about your liking. Let me tell you, I do have craze for sarees extremely. If I find any saree beautiful, I will like to buy it at once. In my teens I had a weakness for georgette and cotton. Now my choice is silk cotton and sungadi sarees. My DH, will say, " Even if you go to a saree shop with 10 crore rupees you will be left with lacs of rupees as shortage!" That is my liking for sarees. I think sky is the limit for me.:)
    with love
    pad

4. vijianand

vijianand Senior IL'ite

A nice post on sarees maami!!! Two people I admire for their saree collections are my mammi and my periamma, My maami is a lover of cotton sarees and since she was a school teacher , the cotton collections she had ... God I just love them!!!
    MY periamma < everytime she comes to visit from Bombay, she would buy sarees from Rangachari. The way she selected them, the color combinations and the the way she would wear them... the same with madisaars too. I would wait to see what color saree she would wear for the day!!!
    Saree definitely adds elegance to a woman.

Regards,
    Viji

5. gjaya

gjaya Silver IL'ite

Dear Viji aunty,

It was a very lovely snippet about your craze for Sarees. I enjoyed reading this snippet so much. Oh Viji aunty you should have taken a photo or two and uploaded with your snippet we would have been so happy to see the pictures too.

Count me in too for I have also a craze about sarees. I love wearing sarees. I love Georgette/chiffon type sarees because they drape so beautifuly. I have so many sarees...it feels special to wear sarees, even though I am in US and very rarely get an opportunity to wear them. I like to dress up Viji aunty just like you. So we are like two peas in a pod. :)

Love
    Jaya

6. Radheshyam

Radheshyam Senior IL'ite

Vijima, you remind me of my mother<?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /><v:shapetype id=_x0000_t75 coordsize="21600,21600" o:spt="75" o:preferrelative="t" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" filled="f" stroked="f"> <v:stroke joinstyle="miter"></v:stroke><v:formulas><v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"></v:f></v:formulas><v:path o:extrusionok="f" gradientshapeok="t" o:connecttype="rect"></v:path><o:lock v:ext="edit" aspectratio="t"></o:lock></v:shapetype><v:shape id=_x0000_i1025 style="WIDTH: 11.25pt; HEIGHT: 11.25pt" alt="0" type="#_x0000_t75"><v:imagedata src="file:///C:\DOCUME~1\$SPRAB~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip_image001.gif" o:href="http://www.indusladies.com/forums/images/smilies/icon_smile.gif"></v:imagedata></v:shape> !!
    She is crazy when it comes to sarees. I think she probably has 100 different shades of green, maroon, blue, orange. She will buy a saree for every occasion. A saree for our colony temple renovation pooja, a saree for neighbor's daughter's wedding, a saree for my Dad's promotion<v:shape id=_x0000_i1026 style="WIDTH: 21pt; HEIGHT: 12.75pt" alt="0" type="#_x0000_t75"> <v:imagedata src="file:///C:\DOCUME~1\$SPRAB~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip_image002.gif" o:href="http://www.indusladies.com/forums/images/smilies/icon_spin.gif"></v:imagedata></v:shape>, a saree to help out her friend who is also a saree vendor. All this on op of the saree-gifts she receives for poojas and special occasions.
    <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Ada</st1:place></st1:City> rama !<v:shape id=_x0000_i1027 style="WIDTH: 20.25pt; HEIGHT: 16.5pt" alt="0" type="#_x0000_t75"> <v:imagedata src="file:///C:\DOCUME~1\$SPRAB~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip_image003.gif" o:href="http://www.indusladies.com/forums/images/smilies/bowdown.gif"></v:imagedata></v:shape> Her list of excuses goes on and on..
    But her saree craze doesn't break our family bank (a.k.a my father's wallet) because she is not interested in expensive sarees. All she wants is cotton, pochambuli and other simple sarees that best fits for her body type and age.

Once the saree gets age-inappropriate to her or has gone out-of-fashion, she comes up with innovative ideas to recycle them. She stitches churidhars/kurtis for me or she stitches dress/salwar/pavadai for my daughter or she sews pillow cases, curtains, table cover, cushion cover with saree that are out-of-fashion. She also donates a good number of sarees for charity. As a result, we let her saree craze go on and all of us patiently listen to her saree puranams <v:shape id=_x0000_i1028 style="WIDTH: 29.25pt; HEIGHT: 11.25pt" alt="0" type="#_x0000_t75"><v:imagedata src="file:///C:\DOCUME~1\$SPRAB~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip_image004.gif" o:href="http://www.indusladies.com/forums/images/smilies/rotfl.gif"></v:imagedata></v:shape>!

Cheers!
    Radheshyam.

7. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Mallika

Sudha must not be wearing sarees much. But seeing my liking for sarees she was telling why dont you write about sarees. Good to know your selection of sarees

love
    viji

8. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Nats

Thanks for your fb

viji

9. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Aruna

Glad to see you here and to know that your mom and aunty are also fond of sarees. When I was working I used to buy sarees but after retirement not that much because now cant use them much only for occasions and functions. Good to know about your mom and aunt's huge collections .

Good to know your selection of sarees. I cant keep new sarees for long, like to wear immediately, otherwise sometimes if anyone comes I give to them as gift.

love
    viji

10. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Priya

Thank you. Will try to upload them.

love
    viji