1. Interested in Natural Skin Care Solutions?: Check Here
    Dismiss Notice

My craze for sarees

Discussion in 'Clothing & Apparels' started by iyerviji, May 25, 2011.

1. iyerviji

iyerviji Finest Post Winner

Earlier when I started wearing sarees I used to wear Nylon sarees which were printed. In that mostly borders were not there. We used to get Nylon sarees worth Rs. 40/- that time. Also imported sarees worth Rs. 75/-. Then plain imported sarees with border started coming. Otherwise we used to buy borders separately and attach to plain sarees. One of my friend always used to get imported sarees from her aunty from Dubai. But now in Dubai all Indian sarees are there.

That time since we were financially not so well off I used to get the sarees printed which I used to have after I wear for some years and make it new. In that way I used to feel I have new sarees.

Then after 50 yrs I did not feel like wearing Nylon sarees. I wear thick sarees and those with borders. I like Gadwal sarees, Calcutta sarees with attractive colours. I have worn all types of sarees to my hearts content.

I never knew that ladies going for a walk used to wait to see what saree I am going to wear when I used to go to work . Now also I have so many sarees , but dont get a chance to wear much because now I am not working. When functions are there I get a chance to wear them. For my dh's nephew's marriage my brother in law bought a pattu saree worth Rs.5000/- last year. Since his wife is no more me and my dh only conducted his son's marriage. So he gifted a costly saree to me. Recently when I went for a marriage I met one young lady who was wearing the same type saree but different border. It is mustard with maroon border. Then I went and spoke to the lady and told her that both our sarees are same. She was saying she had bought 3 years back for her engagement from Chennai worth Rs. 3000/-. She said now it must be costly. Since she stays in Singapore she said she does not wear much sarees and all her sarees she has left with her mother and only when she comes to India she wears them.

Still my craze for sarees is there.

1 person likes this.

2. Pavithra55

Pavithra55 Gold IL'ite

maa truly said...! each and every women have a strong craze for sarees. even i have started collecting sarees...! hmmm u must have worn wonderful sarees thats the reason people have waited to see u while you were working

3. Coffeelover

Coffeelover Platinum IL'ite

Viji,

You are bring back beautiful memories of younger days. I have worn saree form the age of 17. I even remember my first sari. I used to wear it only for wedding for a year, after that I have started wearing sarees only.

Have you had 3 part sarees. It used to be inexpensive. If you wear it properly, we can't see the stitching. I love Bengal silk, Bengal cotton etc.

I am planning to make a trip to Bombay just to see your sari collection.

Enjoy the sarees, Viji. I make a point to wear the sarees often.

Hope to see you and your collections soon.

CL

4. Sudha Kailas

Sudha Kailas IL Hall of Fame

Wow ma.......your writing on saris made me feel that I was wearing all those lovely saris and walking around gracefully to work or wedding !! You made it so picturesque and colourful !!

5. Malar2301

Malar2301 Gold IL'ite

Dear Viji ma,

What ever dress we wear, when it comes to saree...it make us look so homely, gorgeous and so beautiful. I love to wear saree..but to only functions and place where I can just go sit and come back.

For me, working in saree is really hard...i still did not get used to wear a saree and do house hold things :bonk

6. namrathamorab

namrathamorab Gold IL'ite

Well loads of saree discussions in here.. Sadly we girls these days wear less of the six-meter drape.. but then even with the decrease of number of people wearing them they have not lost the charm and elegance and is always in-fashion.

Though I dont have any personal collection, my mother is a saree freak and has over 28 shades of Mysore silk sarees.. a vivid collection!!!!!
    (I generally flock myself in borrowed feathers :rotfl)

7. Coffeelover

Coffeelover Platinum IL'ite

Namrathamorab,

WOW!!! for your mom's collect :bowdown:bowdown:bowdown:bowdown.

I thought I am freak who collects Mysore silk saris. 28 different shades. Wish I can visit your mom' house to look at it. I have 12+ only. Time for me to go to India for shopping. Is it all plain or do they have designs? What kind of blouse she wears?

Thanks for sharing the info.

Good day!!!
    CL

8. hema76

hema76 Silver IL'ite

Sarees are really always a lovable thing for ladies whomsoever or whatsoever doesnt matter .

I rarely use to wear saree but when i wear saree i feel like something i was litttle matured so use to wear in occasions and functions .

My mother had such a beautiful collection , she had many sarees in paper material, cotton, Mysore silk, silk ,siffon and also some saree i dont know what the material is , as she is no more all sarees came to me and now i have countless sarees .and offcourse i like all the designs of her .

9. sritas

sritas Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Vijima an Indian women where ever she is she definitely likes to own a saree or two, though we like to wear salwar for convenience I too like sarees very much and like to have a good collection...............though now there is no craze for pattu saree I too like Gadwal, tusser and soft silk sarees.
    Nice of you to share your experience with saree.
    Love

10. iyerviji

iyerviji Finest Post Winner

Pavithra dear thanks for the first fb. Glad to know that you have also started collecting sarees. You will require after your marriage. Ya I think others liked my sarees very much thats why they waited to see my sarees. [