1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My craving for filter coffee in davara tumbler

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by iyerviji, Sep 18, 2013.

1. iyerviji

iyerviji Finest Post Winner

Mostly South Indians have Filter Coffee and that too in Davara tumbler and those who are from old times dont sip it but drop into the mouth without the lips touching the tumbler. I am also fond of having filter coffee in Davara tumber and not sipping it but having it without the lips touching the tumbler.

Now only me and my dh are at home. He has horlicks everyday and only if he goes for any occasions he has coffee. From the time he had diabities , now it is under control he stopped having coffee because without sugar he does not like to have coffee. So he has horlicks. So I am the only person having coffee and mornings I make for my maid. She does not like it hot but I like it hot and not very hot too.

One of my sister in law likes strong coffee with more sugar, which I did not know when she came for the first time. She told her sister that I dont make strong coffee but what to do my dh does not like strong coffee and not very hot too, so I used to make according to his choice. If she had told that she wants strong coffee I would have definitely made separately for her. Later when I came to know I always used to make according to her choice

Another sister in law drinks hot hot coffee and do not know how it does not affect her tongue. I like hot coffee with froth on the top. The coffee made with the decotion just made and hot milk taste superb.

Though I like filter coffee I used to like the Bru coffee which I used to have in my daughter's house in Dubai. There you dont get coffee powder, so they buy Bru. Actually they dont have much coffee only tea and that too first green tea , then have coffee. When I was working I used to enjoy drinking coffee in a Cup and that too hot hot when the coffee was served at the table. The coffee used to be prepared by a Christian and he used to make like how we South Indians make

So dearies how do you all like your Coffee in davara tumbler or in a Cup.

Attached Files:

2. RatnaMalliswari

RatnaMalliswari Gold IL'ite

hi,
    I am greatly addicted to coffee,its my boosting cup in morning,in busy morning time also i enjoy my coffee i never have it in hurry will enjoy every sip of it,i cant express my feeling it's great time in morning my mom gets coffee powder from coffee day,she take strong decoction,hmmm i can have fragrance of it while writing also.I enjoy my coffee whether you give me davara tumbler or cup. But i feel i enjoy coffee in davara tumbler when i am chennai more.Its perfect match to me.I love coffee.

2 people like this.
  3. vidukarth

vidukarth Platinum IL'ite

i like my coffee in davara and tumbler only.. i like bru coffee very much, when i goto my athai's house when i was young, my athai would give me bru coffee specially because i like it :)

Evan now i have bru instant at home, and drink it occassionally in the evenings when i crave for it..
    my DH likes only filter coffee, so in the evenings, i keep the decotion for him and i relish with bru.. satifies both our needs :)

2 people like this.
  4. Chitravivek

Chitravivek Platinum IL'ite

I love coffeee in Davar Tumblar.. This is exactly how I have been drinking for ages and now my DH too hahah made him an addict to it after marriage :hide:

3 people like this.
  5. kanaka Raghavan

kanaka Raghavan IL Hall of Fame

I like coffee,that too filter coffee only.I prefer to have it a TAVARA tumbler as well,that gives it the real taste.Here also I have a filter that too our traditional one and for my guests it is only FILTER coffee any time of the day.

3 people like this.
  6. sumalynux

sumalynux IL Hall of Fame

I have stopped coffee, coz my doc advised....

But once in a while, i do enjoy Filter coffee.. My dh like it with Foam...

1 person likes this.
  7. joylokhi

joylokhi Platinum IL'ite

Hi iyerviji,
    I wonder how many homes have such brass davara and tumbler for coffee any more. Though originally we also belong to kumbakonam, tanjore, but we have for years been having our coffee in coffee mugs only, being convenient for wash etc. But your image brought to mind our trip to Trichy by road from bangalore where we had 'degree coffee' at an outlet specially labelled as 'degree coffee' that too in brass davara and tumbler. Nothing to beat this combination!. At home also we insist on filter coffee only and cannot accept the instant varieties. Yes, old is gold in such cases :)

2 people like this.
  8. manjubashini

manjubashini IL Hall of Fame

Vijimma lovely writeup. My hubby great fan of filter coffee ....he often asks for davara tumbler but this time too i forgot to bring it from chennai. He's never satisfied with the taste of my preparation of filter coffee he always comment that i am not much expert making a filter as his mom does. i have many a times googled to find the typical taste which he is longing for still search & process continues.
    If possible Please share your method of preparation vijimma. I would love to try your method too.

1 person likes this.
  9. anuraags

anuraags Silver IL'ite

Ur intresting coffee story made me to think my appa. He is no more. In our house first coffee in the morning is prepared by him. We always like his coffee and the way he prepares. If my father is doing some work we will wait till he come for coffee we don't ask our amma for coffee. For all our guest also he only prepares coffee and he go to hall and serve them.
    Even now each and every person in our family,friends everybody is thinking off about his coffee.
    Now iam not drinking coffee regularly b'cos the taste is not as good as my appa. He goes to shop and make them to prepare fresh powder to buy.
    Today iam very much missing my great appa and his coffee.
    Now in the morning I wait till my husband wakeup for my first boost.

2 people like this.
  10. anurar20

anurar20 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Vijima

i love coffee with cup and my cup of coffee should be Very hot and strong with less sugar and thick milk with foam....i use both filter (Specially Suma) as well as Sunrise.

Mom was shouting at me when i say this is less and had cream i dont like with that so i take extra filter, but mom is mom she use to make according to my taste...after marriage i should make my own coffee and prepare to my DH too. My MIL likes my coffee very much but i dont like hers as she pours lot of water which i dont like.

Thanks vijima you made my day by talking about coffee which is my all time favourite as well ill take more than 5 times in a day ( i know its not good) but what to do i am adicted to it. hmmm now i am carving for it.

3 people like this.