My city My pride---Share tourist attractions of your city.

Discussion in 'Travel' started by manjubashini, Apr 3, 2013.

1. manjubashini

manjubashini IL Hall of Fame

Every city is either vibrant these days or is working on a plan to attain vibrancy soon. The reason is simple: a city isnt sucessful-isnt even a city, really-unless it can lay claim to being 'Vibrant'.

We would love to hear from you why your city is your pride and please share your experiences and best to do in your own city.
    [​IMG]

As I belong to Chennai I would proudly love to start with Chennai.

[​IMG]
    Chennai capital of Tamilnadu. Chennai previously known as Madras. The history of Chennai illustrates that the city is about 400 years old and is also the 36th metropolitan city all across the world .

The spirit of Chennai, vibrant culture and reminiscent traditions all make the city wonderful and tremendously important as a part of Indian heritage.

Monsoon: June to September (South-West Monsoon), October to December (North-East Monsoon)
    Season: Tropical throughout the year.
    Best Time To Visit: November to February

Tourist spots of Chennai
    Chennai has many famous temples, mosques and churches.

Chennai beaches, Kovalam beach, Elliots beach, Marina beach.

Also has monuments like Fort st. George, Kamaraj memorial house, MGR memorial ,War memorials, Govt museum, Senate house, Thousands lights Mosque, valluvar kottam, Anna library which has a wide range of books to all category readers.

And few other places like Crocodile bank, snake park, Guindy park, Planetorium, Malls, Amusement parks, cinema theatres etc etc.

Airport services
    The third busiest airport of India is the Chennai International Airport which is located at a distance of 7 km from the main city. Both, international and domestic flights land at different terminals: . The airport connects Chennai with the major cities and countries of the world.

Cuisines of Chennai: As you all know south India is famous for its Idli, dosa, varieties and particularly coffee with a strong aroma. Many famous restaurants have a elaborate varieties of food to enjoy.

Please do share yours too looking forward for responses which will be helpful to others to plan their vacation. [​IMG]

5 people like this.

2. rakinya

rakinya Platinum IL'ite

Re: My city My pride.

Hai Manju,

Good thread!!!!

I belong to Trivandrum, capital of Kerala. It's such a wonderful place. I love my hometown.
    About the climate:
    Winters -November to February
    Summers -March to May
    Monsoons-June to September

Trivandrum is best during the months from October-February and it is the ideal time for sight seeing.

Place to visit in Trivandrum:
    Shree Padmanabha Swamy Temple, Kovalam Beach, Varkala, Ponmudi, Neyyar Wildlife Sanctuary, Poovar Island and lots more.

Transport Services:
    Thampanoor Bus Stand: serving the buses traveling on all routes in Kerala and other inter-state destinations such as Nagercoil, Kanyakumari,Chennai, Bangalore etc
    Trivandrum International Airport:It is the 8th busiest airport in the country. It connects Trivandrum with major cities and countries.
    Trivandrum Central Railway Station:Trains from here connect the city of Trivandrum to major cities of India including New Delhi, Chennai, Hyderabad, Mumbai etc

Cuisines of Trivandrum:
    Sadhya, Puttu and kadala, Baked tapioca and fish curry, kuzhalappam, traditional or chicken curry (Nadan Kozhi Curry), chicken fry (Kozhi Porichathu/Varuthathu), beef fry, fish/chicken/mutton/beef molly(fish or meat in light gravy etc.

2 people like this.
  3. manjubashini

Re: My city My pride--Share what are all best in your city.

Thanks Rakinya.

Happy to know so much of details of Trivandrum. I have too visited Trivandrum during my school days. I loved the greeny environment. I did stayed in one of our relation's house... which was surrounded by a coconut farm. i could barely remind some of those memories. These informations will be definetely useful for further searchers about your city.

1 person likes this.
  4. pallaviparul

pallaviparul New IL'ite

Hi Manju,

I like your all threads and its really interesting and usfule for us.
    I think for every person their city is proud for them where they live. I live in Delhi and i love Delhi city.

5. maliniglow

maliniglow Gold IL'ite

Hello Manju,

I am not from pondicherry, my mom's native place is pondicherry, and my dad's chennai. so I am mixed. So My city My pride, I vote for chennai and Pondicherry.

Chennai: Breeze BEach in Tiruvanmiyur where we could notice more celebrities.

Queenland, Kishkinta, DAkshinchitra ( where we could notice many south as well north indian house styles and many more olden rock caves and temples.

Marina is the second longest beach in the world, and often I go there and hav fun with my friends. Its a good place if you are getting together with your friends or family members. It brings back so many sweet memories.

Spencer plaza, - I used to hang out there, because my college is near to it, so we often bunk the classes and go to spencer plaza for getting AC breeze.

Sorry friends, I am foodie lover, so I would talk more about food.

Aavin milk booth - I m Aavin products lover, so my favorite is Favored milk and kulfi. For the people who are about to try AAVin flavored milk, ask for carrot, banana, apple , vanilla, pineapple ( new flavor), other chocolates, pistachio, mango, badam( already existing flavors).

Murguan Idli shop : For all north indian friends, who are Idli and Sambar lovers, if you are about to visit chennai food, you could go in Murguan Idli shop. There is a small stall near the murugan there they sell Jigarthanda too. It's a Madurai famous drink, and I haven't tasted it in MAdurai. But one of my relatives told that its delicious in authentic madurai drink shop.

Cafe shop : ( not a coffe lover, so doesn't goes there much)

If the title is mentioned My state, My pride, then there would be a long list of tamil nadu.

3 people like this.
  6. maliniglow

maliniglow Gold IL'ite

PONDICHERRY - now it's named as Puducherry.

My mom's native place is pondicherry, so right from childhood to now, I have plenty of sweet memories.

Pondicherry is famous for its beach, Annai ashram, and its a french state.

You could notice many foreigners settled in pondicherry.

Temples : Managula Vinayagar temple, Sri Varadaraja Perumal Temple, Big Hanuman temple

Aurobindo ashram ( Annai ashram) - its so calm and quiet there. You have to maintain silence , and you could meditate. Entry is free, and you could see umpteen of rare flowers.

Places to visit in Pondicherry : Auroville, museums, botanical garden, arikamedu, boat house.

The place which my grandmom dwell in pondicherry is like mini kerala because it is surrounded by plenty of coconut trees. So I used to enjoy going there during my childhood. In those days for a tree, they built leaving spaces, but today people cut down the trees. It's one of sad thing happening in TN.

My state and my pride would be tamil nadu and pondicherry.

3 people like this.
  7. sarada30

sarada30 Platinum IL'ite

Hi Frndz,

A great tourist thread i love to share about my city HYDERABAD.

It is a lovely historical place with many sight seeing attraction:

Golconda fort a place which every one should see in the evening which has a laser show. Which is a very eye catching view.

Charminar: It is a historical place representing our city. Ppl can enjoy sight seeing and also a lot of shopping like bangles and pearls.

And many more religious places to visit.

Ramoji Filim City: This is the place where most of the movie shootings take place and it has many tourist packages it is a very beautiful location to enjoy with family.

i will come up with few more places.

2 people like this.
  8. mini1

mini1 Bronze IL'ite

Hi
    I come from the city that never sleeps- Mumbai!
    Things u must do in Mumbai
    1)take the local train
    2) roadside food- pani puri, vada pav, sandwich toast
    3) ice gola on juhu beach
    4) heritage buildings- VT, gateway of india, museum
    5) Mumbai rains- especially for those of u who are adventurous!
    6) sunset at bandstand or worli sea face
    7) walking in bandra hoping to catch a glimpse of ur favourite movie stars!

I can go on and on :) :) but well that's what's on top of my mind...

3 people like this.
  9. pm86

pm86 Silver IL'ite

Hi,

I belong to beautiful city - Visakhapatnam
    Simhachalam - Pilgram place -Abode of Srivaraha lakshminarasimha swamy
    kailasagiri - Local hill station - Beachview
    Andhra University - Biggest in the district
    RK Beach - Famous beach -Love Bhelpuri here more than any other place.
    Araku - Best scenic hill station of the district
    Burra Caves
    Rushikonda, Bheemli, Gangavaram, Yarada, Vuda park - Beaches
    and many more.

1 person likes this.
  10. manjubashini

Hello mini,

Thanks for contribution dear.
    Mumbai the word itself has a magic in it. Whenever in think about Mumbai the first thing comes to mind are the Shiddhi vinayak temple, dabbawalas, shopping , chat varieties and then bollywood stars.
    And also Haji Ali mosque and Iskon temple are also famous in Mumbai.
    The city has two Airports

The Chattrapathi Shivaji International Airport and Santa Cruz Domestic Airport.

Everyone should once in a while visit Mumbai. Mumbai, previously known as Bombay.

1 person likes this.