1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My Changing Views About Foreign Migration

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by SGBV, Feb 7, 2021.

1. HariLakhera

HariLakhera Platinum IL'ite

I have seen some seniors returning home after some 30/40 years of life in USA. It is true that if pockets are deep. one can live a very comfortable life back home as everything is cheap in terms of dollars. Some Americans are working in Bangalore but earning in dollars. They not only live a King's life but are in a position to save also which is not possible in USA with that income.
    Ironically, home calls back only in old age, by which time all time has gone into making life comfortable.

chanchitra and Thyagarajan like this.
  2. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

[QUOTE="HariLakhera, post: 4207719, member: 4715. Some Americans are working in Bangalore but earning in dollars. They not only live a King's life but are in a position to save also which is not possible in USA with that income.[/QUOTE]
    Well, you are right.

We are in the shoes of those Americans as you mentioned above. Working for international organizations, earning in dollars, but spending like Sri Lankans/Indians - meaning, everything here is cheap if you count them in dollars. So, we not only can live a luxuries life, but also can save & enjoy the life with family.

But, I see this trend, I mean "loving home life than foreign life" among youth of today than that of yesteryears. Despite of their earning & lifestyle they do prefer the lifestyle here & enjoy.

But, every X,Y & Z from my parents era dreamed of a foreign life back then. Just that, some could materialize it, while many others still regret about their inability. Perhaps those were the real sour grapes ;)

HariLakhera and Thyagarajan like this.
  3. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

Just wait for this pandemic to get over. Many will start applying for various countries for studying or employment purposes as usual..

abc00, Anusha2917, SGBV and 1 other person like this.
  4. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:
    When I am a boy I have energy & time but no money.
    When I was young, I had money & energy but no time.
    When I had money & time, I am old devoid of energy.
    That is life's tale.
    God seldom bestows one with all these three together I.e. MONEY -TIME- ENERGY.
    Thanks and regards.

SGBV, Anusha2917, HariLakhera and 2 others like this.
  5. Hopikrishnan

Hopikrishnan Platinum IL'ite

This Tamil persistence of this thread is a strong hint. When a native of a Tamil Nation (Nadoo is nation, no?) leaves, and becomes an economic refugee in some other country-- where people speak a different language, eat a different sort of food, and dance to a different song, and so on, they are in a foreign country. Just because there had been no use of passport, application for visa etc.. to get to that place, people are lulled into a notion that they hadn't left mommyland.
    A Telugu or Tamil native is much less at home in UP-India, than in UP (Upper Peninsula of), Michigan. The most adventurous lot of all, the Keralite or the Punjabi, would call the whole planet her/his home.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2021
    vidukarth and Thyagarajan like this.
  6. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

@SGBV,

Migration is not entirely driven by the economic status alone. In earlier days, migration was from affluent families who can afford to send their adult children abroad to educate, and then they settled in the country where they were educated. God bless you for doing so well in your home country and many do struggle to do well on their own whether they are from a poor or affluent family based on their social status (reservation system), lack of opportunities, growth potential, and many more. Some countries, strictly follow the age and experience for professional growth whereas other countries give opportunities to people based on their attitude and enthusiasm to take greater responsibilities.

Syamala Gopalan's parents sent her to the US in the early 1960s to pursue Ph.D. in Nutrition and Endoctrinology and she did so well after that resulting in educating her children in the US. One of her children went on to become the first woman Vice President after playing a role as an Attorney General in California and later becoming a Senator. Whereas former President A.P.J. Abdul Kalam studied at Madras Institute of Technology had an ambition to become a flight engineer in the Air Force but he was able to climb the echelons of the Space and Nuclear Research Program in India after joining DRDO. He went on to become the President of India. Each one pursued their full potential and did what they could do to be successful in their respective places.

Again returning to the mother country is an individual option of each person migrating and that doesn't mean they got frustrated with the life in the western countries nor they are more patriotic to their mother country. They do that depending on their plan and family situation. Everyone who migrates to foreign countries have a strong bond with their mother country and its culture as much as their bond with the foreign country that allowed them to thrive in their professional careers. All immigrants even if they become a citizen of a foreign country remain with their umbilical cord connected to their mother country always.

How one feels about migration is the individual opinion and there is no way to generalize it.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2021
  7. Mistt

Mistt IL Hall of Fame

Viswa Sir, I couldn't agree with you more. Stay at foreign country or go back to mother land is completely a personal choice.

abc00, Sandhya13, Viswamitra and 3 others like this.
  8. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

This is very true :blush:

So true sir. Each one has their own reason to migrate to other countries. So there are many people who judge them differently based on their own experience :grinning:

Mistt and Viswamitra like this.
  9. brahan

brahan Platinum IL'ite

I loved this line of yours. Its a immensely proud feeling ..especially having started life from the scratch and built/sculpted every piece of it in our own Homeland

SGBV likes this.
  10. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

@Viswamitra sir

You are absolutely right. To migrate or not is a personal choice. Everyone is entitled for their choice & opinion on this matter.
    No one can judge here, because there is nothing wrong or right it.

Even in this thread, I clearly stated my opinion as my personal views. That too changing views.
    Perhaps in 2025, I might want to migrate again. Who knows?

I see this pattern of changing views among youngsters in Sri Lanka. Not sure about the trend in India these days. But for Srilankans the end of war & introduction to the technology made so much difference in the past decade. People are vocal about their choices after this covid19 pandemic

But, it is bad some people still think my views are similar to the fox's mind set in the fox & sour grapes story. As if migration is the only source of successful life.
    I reiterate, it is not the case for all

Viswamitra likes this.