1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

my brother in law's marriage

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by swtsvn, Jul 8, 2009.

1. swtsvn

swtsvn New IL'ite

its been 3 years since my marriage. my brother in law got recently married few days back. and attending his marriage gives a whole new meaning to my marriage.

during my marriage, i was solely concentrating on the ceremony, the poojas, posing for the photo:crazy, saying hi to everyone. i dont even remember looking at my hubby's face. all i remember were the pictures posing and the poojas, my father's sentiments, my mother's advices.

but now looking at my bil's marriage, i want to go back and see my marriage video. since my marriage, it never occured to me or Venkat to play back our wedding video, or even look at our marriage pictures together. life has become hectic and busy to look back. But seeing the marriage ceremony, i was constantly thinking, what was i doing during my nalungu, what was Venkat:wave::wave: doing during janavasam.

amidst the chaos the gurukal explained one critical aspect of the mantra, that the following sentence means "that i will take care of my bride in sick and health until death do us apart". it was nice of the gurukal to explain the meaning of the critical sentence which is usually chanted in sanskrit.

since i was the elder daughter in law of the house, i was given preference to do the unjal formalities. it was a new experience for me. probably i would not get this type of attention in any of the forthcoming marriages, because they would be of cousins. hehe. but it was nice to give milk to the couple, to suthi potu fy the urundais. and ya, i too was wearing madisar. probably second time after my marriage. once i wore it during seemantham. and then now. i was actually feeling proud to wear the madisar, and being traditional if only for a few hours. when others went and changed their madisars, i was adamant like a child that i will continue in my madisar until the main ceremony (tying the knot) ends. after teh ceremony got over, everyone were congratulating people "marumaga vanthacha" to my mother in law and father in law " mappillai vanthacha" to the bride's father and mother. "orpidi vanthacha" to me... at that time, the lady who tied my madisar.. (yes unfortunately i dont know how to tie my own madisar, and someone else has to do it for me. never had the necessity, and it is extremely difficult to tie for oneself. it is highly complicated that people discovered easy way to tie saree, the one that we wear now.. )

anyho that lady who tied my madisar came to me and said "eppo nee poi vera podava mathikalam. kalyanam mudinjirichu" .. (now you can go and tie another saree, the ceremony has ended).. with a big sigh i did the same.

overall the marriage was wonderful with lots of relatives, gossips here and there, mehandi ladies applying mehandi for everyone from young kids to old ladies, some guys even came for mehandi,, the kid boys ofcourse...

attending another marriage at such a closer perspective made me rejoice my marriage and made me want to look back at my marriage album... if only someone would bring the 2 kilo weighing album from india .... :coffee

2. shree

shree Silver IL'ite

hi sujatha,

your narration was very nice. u brought my marriage in my eyes.

3. manchitra

manchitra Senior IL'ite

good narration felt as if I was attending your BIL's wedding.

4. sigmabeta

sigmabeta Bronze IL'ite

Its a nostalgic feeling every time I go to a wedding and think of the moments in my wedding. I liked the way you enjoyed the wedding in your madisar, keeping the tradition alive.

5. RadhaG

RadhaG Senior IL'ite

Nice sharing of thoughts there!