1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My Brother and I...

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Mindian, Aug 13, 2008.

1. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

My brother is younger to me by one and a half years. Therefore he is always present in my earliest memories of life. I used to be the protective sister always and he needed me constantly, so much so that during his first year in school I was in kindergarten and made to sit in the first bench in my class, luckily nursery being the opposite class and so with a special request from my mother he would be in the first bench of his class and could see me always. In school whenever there was a birthday and the birthday child distributed sweets it was an oral pledge between us that we would share it with each other. I always stuck to my part of the promise but he could never do that. His intentions were very good; he would keep it for me but could not help eating it himself. When one of us was sick my mother's rule was that the other would not go out to play but keep the sick one company. No doubt it must have been a great relief to her. So many times he would just run out without my mom knowing and I would start cribbing. But there were days when we enjoyed each others company by playing a lot of silly games… making paper boats and letting them float on a rainy day, Or Bus conductor (he would love to be the conductor and go tring tring) and teacher student(of course I would be the teacher and he my ever willing student). Wonder why we were fascinated by these professions.

I used to enjoy having him in the same school, and loved to tell him secrets (nothing great but whenever I got full marks in maths and couldn’t wait until I got home) during the break. He used to dislike school and at the slightest pretext try to stay at home; one day my aunt actually went all the way to school because he had forgotten to take his eraser and would try to use that as an excuse for the next day. While I was the good one and always it was 'why cant u be more like your sister?' Poor fellow, he heard it always…I can't help it …I am a much organised good girl (read dull in other words) but he was extremely naughty, Here I must mention the incident in my memory. One day he came back from school with a lot of marks on his hands and when mom asked him he said Ashwin had given him that. My poor mom went to school the next day to request the teacher to please keep an eye on the students but she happened to meet Ashwin and was stunned to see that he had marks on his hands as well as his face. Quietly she came back not bothering to see the teacher but after giving both boys some sound advice. He always got my old books as he was just one year junior, thankfully I was not born a girl otherwise I would be stuck with your clothes too, was his usual comment.

Then came the fighting phase, until I was about fifteen. It would be very physical, he would give me real blows with his fist and I would pinch him hard, meaning I would leave scars on his hands and face while I had no visible proof for the beatings I received from him. Even now, I attribute my poor back to his blows. Not that it deterred me in the least. I had some silent mean treatments of my own like hiding his books or shoes and uniform, enjoying his futile search and the scolding he got from mom for never keeping his things in the proper place. Another funny thing I remember is we would not TALK to each other after a fight and if we happened to sing a song that the other is humming, immediately we would jump at each other …..How dare u sing my song….. As if one of us had composed the lyrics and music for it. But during our friendly days we would be Zoheb and Nadia Hassan crooning away to glory. Our Disco Deewane in the audio cassette is a testimony to this. Those days sadly there was no Karaoke…

Only after that came the companionship phase. I got into commerce and started pursuing my CA. We would talk to each other about all our friends .He still needed me to tick off one particular boy who was bossing him around. I was quite a tomboy and put an end to that. Here I must mention a change in my character. .Though he was naughty, he was always very adjusting, very cheerful, affectionate with everybody and a happy go lucky guy. I was quite spoilt, needed a lot of attention from my parents, cribbed a lot to my mom about her having a special soft corner for her son. I was daddys pet… but he took it in his cheerful way…it never bothered him.. Once my appa was calling out ….where is my kutti….and my aunt told him hey appa is looking for u but he laughingly said, no that’s not for me …wait and see, kutti will now come …meaning me. My mom also called him the communist in the family as he would always support the maid whenever mom complained that she was not doing a good job…amma if she cleans every house the way u want her to; imagine the plight of her back at the end of the month…was his argument.

While I had to work hard to get thru my CA. he took life comparatively easy but still managed to get into engineering at IIT.I still remember the way I cried when we came home after dropping him at hostel. Anyway he used to come home every weekend, Friday evening and leave only on Monday morning. Here, he developed a great interest in music so I learnt to enjoy music of all genres only because of him. He used to take me for their programmes…Mood Indigo, ghazhal evenings and also once for a special screening of Umrao jaan, because Rekha was my favourite heroine those days.

He was still studying when I got engaged to my dh and on the day of my marriage he and my best friend were the only people who cried. Dh to this day says, all the others were very happy to get rid of you. Then of course over the years he got a good job and moved away from <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on"><st1:country-region w:st="on">India</st1:country-region></st1:place>. He got married and has a daughter. I was near my parents but then we too shifted here. Now there are only calls and exchange of pictures. He visited me once and I too had been to visit him last year. I fractured my leg at his place and had to extend my stay while my family came back .This time he took care of me. My eyes fill as I recall the way he and his wife were so good to me. We used to sit up late at night and talk continuously, (over the years my dh and dd are my priority but certain things I can share and laugh only with him) and watched all our old favourite movies..,…Every night after I go to bed he would wait till I had tucked myself in, switch on the air-con, shut the door and tell me, get up as late as u want. I was really touched. Am I not blessed to have a brother like him?

I can confidently speak for both of us when I say there is absolutely no sibling jealousy between us, we are genuinely happy for each other always, and feel very lucky to have each other. I pray that he is always his smiling jocular self. With Raksha bandhan round the corner I couldn’t help thinking of him. I was talking about him to a friend when she just generalised all brothers, saying 'Brothers can never be as affectionate as sisters'. Well, I couldn’t disagree more with her.

sindmani and (deleted member) like this.

2. Saraswathipv

Saraswathipv IL Hall of Fame

Hey Friend,

A nice one with Raksha Bandhan around the corner....
    It was a joy reading about the affection between you and your kid brother....Beautiful..

I too disagree with that friend of yours.
    My brother is 4 years younger to me and my closest buddy.( We have a elder sis too.)We did our schooling in Orissa . It was because of him that all my classmates and teachers knew that "Akka" means elder sister in Tamil. I had to be with him during all the interval breaks to tell him how many bells to go for us to return homeBig Laugh..He used to start the countdown from the first one everyday...And when returning to my class after the break, I had to say Tata to him with a smile..or else he would cry....Sometimes I had to put a forced smile :)
    I still tease him about that incident.
    As we grew, we played cricket in the ground nearby our house with all his friends..I know the finer points of the game because of him.
    We didn't fight much...But I used to be the peacemaker when he and our elder sis had an argument...Now of course, we are grown up for those little fights.
    For his marriage a little over 1 year back..it was me and my sis along with our DHs who took atmost care to see that he was no way upset..because, our parents had passed away by that time.......he too tries his best to see that we feel happy.

As you mentioned, we can confidently speak to our brother about anything anytime..And there is absolutely no sibling rivalry...We are happy for each other's success and ready to cheer each other when one is down.....

Thanx for sharing your feelings...

Last edited: Aug 13, 2008
  3. aishu22

aishu22 Gold IL'ite

Dear Mindi & Saras,
    Enjoyed reading your posts.Yes brothers are indeed sucha good company.I always miss that feeling. I dont have a brother but a sister.Yet i had so many cousins living close to my house .. so it used to be fun!!

4. malspie

malspie Platinum IL'ite

Hi Mindi,

We are only two sisters and have truck loads of cousin brothers. The age difference is huge and they are always protective towards us. So, being naughty haughty girls, we love to be away from such brothers! With brothers around, the teens of our life goes for a downward swing, if we do not know to conceal!! Hi. Hi. Lucky me... I played a good innings. ha ha..

5. roopadadia

roopadadia Silver IL'ite

A lovely post on the ocassion of Raksha bandhan.

I too don't have a brother...but have 2 sis and there is no sibling rivalry among us too.

But here at my in-laws place ...it was a joint family till not so long ago...so all the kids 7 brothers and 3 sister are all very close including the spouse. So whenever we get together its one great party time.

6. Geetha Iyer

Geetha Iyer New IL'ite

Dear Mindian,

A nice account of the excellent relationship that exisits between a brother and a sister. With Raksha Bhandan round the corner it is very apt. I too have a great brother and have all the experiences with him as you have narrated. He was a member of this great site, but fell out due to some unknown reasons. It is his influence that brought me here.

I am reminded of the great song " Phoolon ka tharon ks sub ka kahna hai. Ek hazzaron mein meri behana hai" from the movie a Dev Anand and Zeenath Aman starrer.

Love,

Geetha Iyer

7. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Mindi,

Ecellent blog.
    I have just used my 3rd nomination aand just nominated this wonderful piece by u for the best entry for August.Deserves every bit of it.

You must be loving yur brother so much Mindi.May God keep both of u with yr families always happy and take good care of u both.

Touching to say the least.

I dont have sisters so i cant write what it means to be a brother.Regards.kamal

8. maithreyi

maithreyi Senior IL'ite

Hi friends,

Nice thread.

My brother is 8 years younger to me. When we were young, whenever my mother was busy, i took a very good care of him. I played a lot with him. I taught him and helped him in doing his howmework and school activities, gave my suggestions whenever needed. Now having grown up, my brother is my only moral support whenever i am mentally down and vice versa. We share each others joys and sorrows.

As Raksha Bandhan around the corner, i pray and wish prosperiety for all the brothers of Indus Ladies.

9. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear Mindian,

Congrats on making it to the FP of the month.

It was a pleasure to read about you and your brother.
    You write very well and you have brought out the day to day interaction with your brother very well.

I felt I was growing up with you through your admiration for the little one who then slowly grows up and comes to his own. The little brother-sister squabbles are such a natural thing in life.

I am glad that you both nurture the deep affection and love for each other to this day. You are fortunate that time and individual demands on life and the spouses have not changed that.

God bless you both and have a great Raksha bandhan.

L, Kamla

10. Oviya

Oviya Silver IL'ite

Dear Mindi,

Here I am, in your forums, as I told you. This being my debutant visit, having no idea about your style of writing, it was such a feast.

Very beautiful capturing of the fine moments you both had. The way you brought and narrated the phases, is excellent. Wishing you and your brother, a more wonderful time ahead.

O, late-night conversations! I miss them a lot...I want to go back; threaten my aunty with my cousin covering with black blanket, wake up in the early mornings to go with my friend for almond collection, sit in the threshold for a never ending conversation and all the evergreen attractions...