1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My Blog -29 (My Superstitions!!!)

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Pragmatic, May 31, 2009.

1. Pragmatic

Pragmatic New IL'ite

Superstitions...An irrational belief arising from fear! Oh yes! I know it is improper but I coyly admit I am superstitious in my own ways. I tend to relate incidents and fear about the future. To clarify I am not superstitious about black cats, lizards, broken glass etc ...Rather I have my own set of rules.:confused2:

Since childhood l had been relating little things as my good luck n bad luck..and nah! its not abnormal at all. I have many friends who do the same thing..May be unknowingly I picked this habit from my childhood classmates/friends. As an example, If I used a specific pen for my exam and the test go tremendously well , I use to consider it as my lucky pen and I use to have the same pen throughout my exams :p. When I was in college I was specific about the dress I wore on some particular exam and by chance if the test went well...that's it! I use to wear the same dress for almost all my exam days (Eeeks...that was so gross..isn't it ;) silly Me)

Hmm...I am also somewhat superstitious about numbers..Like '8' has never been my buddy... I have seen some terrible times related to this number. The most devastating thing that happened last was my dad's death on 08Oct08. May be it was just a coincidence but I tend to consider 8 as my unlucky digit.

Lately I have also started believing in evil eyes...The moment I share some good news with my relatives, it somehow has to go topsy turvy...Latest! we were so excited n bragged about the vegas trip to everyone around n end result was hard luck with unwanted ticket by cops. :(

Everytime I soothe myself thinking that it was just a coincidence, a new thing pushes me to believe on it.

I understand that all this is in the mind, few coincidents , some beliefs that cause fear. Reality is that we have no control over the future happenings so why worry!

But are these little superstitions common or is this something only with me :( ???? That's a million dollar question that's been clinging in my mind????? :oops:

2. hydgrr

hydgrr Bronze IL'ite

Hi Pragmatic,
    Even i am like u...i used to be very superstious like u. I used to always use the same pen for exams and same dress like u. wearing the same dress for exams was so gross but still. I used to always think that is lucky for me and that is not. Even after my marriage i always say to my husband u shd not tell everything to everybody unless it is confirm else we will not get it and so on. My husband is exact opposite of me...like i would say him not to cut his hair or nails on Tuesday and Fridays still he always do them on those days. Nowadays i am trying my best to tone my DH into my superstitions :)
    -priya

3. Pragmatic

Pragmatic New IL'ite

Hi Priya...same goes with me ...my hubby never follow my superstitious instructions. Funny part is when he says
    "We should not cut nails on Tuesday, that's what mom and you say!! I agree but which timezone should I follow..coz when its Tuesday in India ..its Monday in US and when its Tuesday in US ...its Wednesday in India. If I go by both the days I wouldn't be able to cut my nails for 4 days in a week" hahahaa so true ..its bit confusing when we are in different time zone ;) and I remain speechless by this point of his!

4. toolika

toolika Bronze IL'ite

Intresting, but with me its just opposite. My DH is very much superstitous. He keeps on pestering me - dont wash ur hairs on this day dont cut ur nails on that day.
    I listen to him and follow till the time its not effecting me.