1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My BIG, FAT, CHUNKY tale on WHAT, WHY, HOW about me !!!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Sabitha_K, Aug 26, 2010.

1. Sabitha_K

Sabitha_K Gold IL'ite

The most difficult thing is to write about oneself which some of the finest writers here do it with panache.Today I am going to share and confess something which I believe most of the ILites are not aware of and I have never talked about.My big fat adolescent years where I was an obese child.Whoa, before you quiz me on how I was able to morph my snaps in producing a petite figure in my albums, you need to read till the end.:crazy

You need to understand with ponderous heart that two of the sweetest enemies when it comes to weight gain are your mother and funky friends.

As a kid, my mom always felt that I was underweight though I was bulging like a balloon from all corners.To her I was always a malnourished child, comparing to Somalian refugees, if I skipped lunch occasionally as I was too busy reading Jane Austen and Enid Blyton.

My friends are like spin doctors who never let me know that my torso was sculpted by God's minions having two left hands.

So the first thing you need to understand is that it took me 16 years to realize that I was obese.I had never felt, heard or even had slightest inkling that my lease in obese category has expired and I was entering into a new contract with the super-obese category.

It happened out of the blue one fine day after college when I moved to another city.

Once while shopping with my friends , someone yelled 'Oye Moti (Fatso)'.I looked back with stupefied glance and walked slowly towards the yob.

I asked him with an innocent stare,"'Why did you call me Fatso"?

He quipped , "Because you are one".

I futher interrogated "How fat am I ?Normally fat or fat or abnormally fat ?"

By now he inferred that I might be a lunatic running loose with fat running deep, and to avoid a hefty blow uttered, "Not very fat but just little fat"

I sighed "Hmm...so that means I just have to reduce little and then I would be okay."

He nodded like a mechanical toy, keyed to play eternally.

Now if I were to say that the incident transformed me and I took an oath to reduce, wouldn't Danny Boyle have taken the copyrights from me and made a film on the lone battle of an Indian women against the bullying society.

Like all blithe spirits who also suffer from amnestic bouts at the sight of food, I forgot all about it when I chanced on buttescotch pastry( still remains my favourite ) for dessert.

The following week , when we ventured on another of our shopping sprees, I laid my eyes on the most exquisite skirt I ever saw.I asked for the skirt in my size and the shopkeeper with renewed interest dig it from the bottom of the pile of stacked dresses.For some inexplicable reason, it lost the charm.Bigger the size, lesser the cuteness.I bought the smallest one under the pretext of buying for my cousin which the salesman saw through the boulevard of my buck teeth.:crazy

When I was returning home, these two incidents conflated in my mind and produced a concoction of great potency to tip me from my blissful existence.It hit me so hard that I HAVE TO REDUCE.Now when I look back, I still can't fathom why they had such an impact.You never know what tilts a person from the edge.:spin

Anyways ,if losing weight for someone of my stature was difficult , I made it impossible by drawing a list of NOT TO DO items.

I am not going to diet.
    I am not going to stop having desserts which include my favourite pastries, pies , tarts and the list goes on..
    I am not going to relinquish those melting-in-the-mouth kebabs and smouldering tikkas.

My mission was doomed even before it started ,with bleak prospects of ever producing the blue print of fitness plan from the drawing room.

I am not going to discuss in detail how I lost weight but like all half-baked plans,snoozed-reminders and periodic outburts resembling 'Why me' that would eventually yield results albeit more time , I succeeding in molting from the mould of adipose which engulged me for years.

I didn't go under the knife, volunteer for any weight-loss trial drugs or meditate in the Shangrila surviving on roots and herbs.But this weight loss journey changed my life for ever.Oh yeah I did stick to all my aforementioned resolutions as well.:thumbsup

But, the most important thing aftermath was how it all changed my perception in life.This arduous journey made me to confront someone who was ensconced in layers thereby hiding few previously unknown qualities.I never realized the things I was capable of doing till I was pushed to the extreme.I never understood the joy of accomplishment with pain of perseverance.

Often we look for motivation in books, people and also in incidents that we happen to witness.To me, inspiration in true sense ,can survive like a pumice only when it is erupts from deep inside your heart.

Today I preserve the tales of my weight-loss lore in my dressing sense.(Also, being a huge Ally McBeal fan ,anything above the knee is fashion blasphemy for me ).Now everytime I sit in a meeting room or await my turn to deliver a speech my skimpy skirt reminds me of the gigantic stride I took to be here.Everytime I think I am losing a battle I remind myself of the impossible task I dared to dream and achieve.Everytime I detect my will wavering, I recollect that when a rotund pumpkin can get transformed to svelte strawberry, never ever underestimate the power of will.

Yes, I have churned my past achievement into a constant reminder of what I am capable of doing.It does not matter if your sibling has earned it, it does not matter if your neighbour or friend has achieved it but once you have something to be proud about, it changes your life forever as this struggle would also aid you to move ahead and win many many more wars.The other inspirations wade off with time but the motivational inspiration you carve from your own life is eternal.

Okay I lied in the beginning ; this time as I got my teeth fixed you could not see it coming.My motive behind this snippet is not to share what I have accomplished but to urge you to do something.Something that you had given up sometime back.I did give up on my weight loss several times.But now as I reminscence I wonder what would have happened if I had given up on that LAST ATTEMPT.I would be extremely happy if after reading my lengthy,desultory and sleep-inducing (I literally had to restrain my hand from typing sudorifically soporific here) post atleast one of you resurrects that subdued passion/quest/goal/dream of yours for one LAST TIME.

You never know which LAST ATTEMPT is gonna be the LAST TIME you ever have to do it ..

Last edited: Aug 26, 2010

2. ALPA

ALPA Platinum IL'ite

My dearest Buddy, pal and beste Saby,
    wow reading your snippet actually made me realise that i never gave up in life in anything i did. I still cannot believe that you were BIG, but whatever you did you do look gorgeous and have now graduated from a school girl to college girl to a beautiful woman.
    I totally agree with you on "NOT TO DO ITEMS" my motto is EAT EVERYTHING YOU WANT BUT IN QUANTITY and Saby you are doing great.
    I am so glad to have met you my dear friend:) A BIG BIG HUG TO YOU
    love
    alpa:cheers

3. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Saby Dear
    Reading your post, I am also getting inspired of getting myself reduced a little bit so that I too can fit into my old skirts:)
    After meeting you and Alpa I am also trying to reduce a bit but not like both of you:) but atleast reduce little so that when I meet you both next time will not look like your mother...hahaha
    As usual enjoyed reading how and what inspired you to get that 0 sexy size of yours:)

4. Sabitha_K

Sabitha_K Gold IL'ite

My dearest Kenyan Cutie :crazy

Looks like my telepathic waves had absolutely no interference from other wordly frequency that it reached Kenya as quickly as possible to ping you ..

Whooppppyyyy ! I knew that we both belonged to the same category of do-or-die when I met you.That was one of the reasons we hit it off quite well.

Thanks a hundred creamy , crunchy caramel crusted custard which choco chics !!!! :crazy

5. OOPALL

OOPALL Silver IL'ite

Hi Sabitha,
    Very nice of you to share this with us. Your post has given me more hope in downsizing myself as well...just a llittle downsizing. I too struggle with "I will not stop eating certain food no matter what"entality.

Hugs!
    Oopall

6. Sabitha_K

Sabitha_K Gold IL'ite

My dearest Amarnan Queenie ( I started watching Egypt on History channel just to collate more names for you..:biglaugh:biglaugh)

Wow , wow ..Just when I was wondering on Alpa's prompt and surprise arrival here, and gloating on my telepathic waves beckoning her , I completely forgot that they were intercepted in Cairo , screened and then relayed.

Now tell me did you get a vision of my typing frantically which woke you up from your slumber that you logged in to IL to quickly check if you were experiencing paranormal precognition to see the future.

Anyways , I am glad to see you here ..and nah you already turn few heads when you walk ( now I need not recount the incident you shared with us last week ).If you fit into your old skirts then Nau's friends might ask him , who is this lovely lassie with whom I would like to go on a date with :crazy:crazy:crazy

Thanks a ton for your gracious presence here.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2010
  7. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Sabitha,

After my short-term hibernation :biglaugh in the afternoon, I am into your thread, getting through the words of wisdom, which brought you down to the size desirable.
    Mm...you are absolutely true...you never know which would be last attempt..to bring us to this 'higher level' of understanding and achieving.
    As always wonderful piece of writing with many practical insights...enjoyed it!

sriniketan

8. monifa13

monifa13 Bronze IL'ite

I fully agree with you 'Slim Saby' - If there is a will there is always a way... :thumbsup

9. Spiderman1

Spiderman1 Gold IL'ite

Will the super slim sabby, please stand up, please stand up :)
    If only I can hear you stand on the podium and deliver "I have a dream..." speech instead of only reading the text @ IL.

Inspiring post.

10. Raba

Raba Gold IL'ite

Dear Saby,

Wow! Wonderful statement.
    And I loved your narration saby, though I am not able to believe completely that you were obese once upon a time:biglaugh

Excellent one:cheers