1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

My Backyard Garden

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by blindpup10, Mar 22, 2020.

1. radv

radv Gold IL'ite

Hi @blindpup10 - you really have green fingers. I also have “Duke of Tuscany Jasmine” plant. Last summer this plant had quite a number of flowers. However, this summer there was only one flower. It is healthy green plant. Growing new leaves, new branches, but no flowers, no buds. I have tried putting Epsom salt, digging soil around it slightly , etc. I would appreciate if you can give some suggestions. Thanks for sharing photos of your garden. I find them motivating.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  2. sociallifein30s

sociallifein30s Gold IL'ite

ah thats lot of help. Thank you will try the banana peel in water thing.

3. blindpup10

blindpup10 Platinum IL'ite

hello @sarvantaryamini- I would like to start by saying I am still a novice when it comes to gardening. I will tag @MalStrom here.. She will be able to give you more confirmed answers.

If the pumpkin flowers are roting it could be either there is too much water, the plant has a disease. I use neem oil spray for my plants. My zucchini had it, ridge gourd has it too- the leaves of zucchini had turned white. But not he ridge gourd- but the flowers are withering away too without flowering.

try fertilizing it and just give a little water?
    Or maybe the place where the plant is not ideal...

Last edited: Sep 14, 2020
    MalStrom and sarvantaryamini like this.
  4. blindpup10

blindpup10 Platinum IL'ite

@radv- Thanks for the compliments. I have had my fair share of plants dying on me. I am still a novice, I just got lucky in getting few things right. I will tag @MalStrom here, she will be able to give you more precise advice.

Especially with the Duke of Tuscany. I faced the same exact issue with mine too.I have had Duke of Tuscany from 2017 and this is the only year it is giving out flowers. Around Nov2019 I moved the plant to the current place as it wasn't giving out flower, not even growing and it even had yellow leaves.

This year I placed it in a place with direct sunlight and watering it twice a day helped.
    You have no idea- how many fertilizers, Epsom salt, daal ka pani, and what not I have done to keep this plant alive and thriving.
    Mine is just producing flowers and still hasnt grown an inch.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2020
    MalStrom likes this.
  5. radv

radv Gold IL'ite

Hi @blindpup10 - thank you. Look forward to @MalStorm response.
    And yes thank you for providing the correct name for this type of Jasmine. I thought it is from Mogra family.

MalStrom likes this.
  6. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Pumpkin and zucchini will sometimes drop the first few flowers before they start holding on to the flowers and producing fruit. This can also happen when the fruits first start to grow. Some of them will stop halfway and just rot without getting bigger. If you have a lot of bees it will help with pollination. They will also do this when the plant is stressed with extreme heat or lack or rain. If your plants are not doing well it might be better to pull them out and start new ones.
    As for jasmine, I don’t have much experience. I can only grow it as an annual here since I don’t have room to bring it indoors in winter. I buy the one variety (not sure if it’s name, but it doesn’t have as many petals as Duke of Tuscany) available at the Asian market and it seems to flower well during the season. I give it some compost and Osmocote.

sarvantaryamini likes this.
  7. sarvantaryamini

sarvantaryamini Gold IL'ite

@MalStrom, what is a good frequency to water pumpkin and other melon plants? Sometimes, the plant doesn't seem to grow at all.

MalStrom likes this.
  8. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Are your plants in pots or in the ground? If they are in pots they will need frequent water. If they are in ground then judge by the amount of rain you get. If you don’t have rain then water deeply at least 2-3 times a week. If you put at least 3 inches of mulch around your plants then you can water much less.

9. sarvantaryamini

sarvantaryamini Gold IL'ite

I wasn't aware of the mulch tip. We are at the peak of summer and it doesn't rain for us at all in summer. I think I do water more than twice a week. At least once in 3 days. How do you fertilize your soil? In our area, the soil, in my view, is not much fertile. It is also very sticky like clay.

MalStrom likes this.
  10. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

If your soil is heavy then it will help to add a lot of organic matter like compost, manure and peat moss. Over time the soil will become lighter. I add alfalfa meal and kelp meal as well since it is supposed to help plant growth. Since I have a lot of plants I add Osmocote slow-release fertilizer which only needs to be applied twice in the season. When I had fewer plants I used to use a balanced organic fertilizer.