1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

My aunt's psychiatric problem -need help

Discussion in 'Health Issues' started by Tugga, Dec 20, 2010.

1. Tugga

Tugga Silver IL'ite

Dear all,

My aunt is having some mental illness since her birth. But when she was young, no one noticed her disability as she looked so fresh and beautiful. After marriage, her behaviour seemed not normal and hence everyone started noticing her in a different way.
    But it was all normal to my uncle as he loved her so much and believed that his wife is behaving childishly. Due to their compatibility, no one bothered to intefer into their marital life and so they were somehow managed their life for 20 years with 2 teenage boys.

Now my aunt has become so weak, lost her weight (now she is only 25 kgs) and lost her appitite... She has sleeping disorders and other mental issues, which makes very clear to everyone that she is having some strong mental illness.

She doesnt sleep properly, hence wakes up at 1.00am and washes her cloths. She takes bath in the cold water at 4.00 am... cooks very slowly (and it takes 10 hrs to prepare lunch with 1 curry).

She forces her kids to eat too much of foods and one of her son is also developing the same symptoms now.

Her dressing and behaviour has been changed so much during this 20 years, but her family never noticed this as a huge deal.

Finally someone has openly broke the ice and asked them to meet a psychiatrist. The doctor easily identified her problems and prescribed some sleeping and vitamin tablets. But my uncle rejected those tablets saying that they doctor wasn't clever to understand his wife's issues.

He keeps on meeting other normal MBBS doctors by thinking his wife might suffer from other physical illness such as BP, anemic, etc..etc... as she was loosing weight and eating less. He doesnt seems to understand that these symptems are associated with psychological issues, rather he thinks it is other issues like normal physical illness.

Since they live in our town, I thought of helping them in some way or the other. But I really dont know how... Please, if you can help me with some ideas.

2. pinkpearls

pinkpearls Senior IL'ite

Hi Tugga,

First of all sorry to hear about the situation and really appreciate you for your caring. next time when they have appointment with normal MBBS, you go with them, and try to talk to the doctor about their situation, and ask him to prescribe the same medicines what psychiatrists prescribed before.

you can also understand your uncle and his family, because it is really hard to accept a fact about the dear once, that to in India, people consider it as a bad thing to go and see a psychiatrist ( they think they are mental doctors), we all know that is very different. In any situation, we cannot afraid to go and see a psychologist about our mental health, one should understand to give same thoughts for physical and mental health. sorry if I did not give the answer you expected. I hope the family will understand her situation and help her getting right treatment.

One more thing if you have good relation with your uncle, try to talk to him personally, explaining the situation, and how it's effecting their teenage boy ( as you said he is having same symptoms?). may be some people do not want to agree the fact with people of their age ( like your relatives), they may open their heart in front of their kids ( like you) or friends. good luck for your effort.