1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My artistic journey: A humorous passage

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Navaljee, Apr 27, 2010.

1. Navaljee

Navaljee Senior IL'ite

[​IMG]

[Oil on Canvass -By Naval Langa 1995]

It was not a matter of surprise for me to live amongst the singing birds and swinging paddy fields. I am a born villager, so it was natural for me to behave so naturally. No one had noticed to my looking at the striking difference between the colours of leaves of same tree. I was getting hard time in assigning my spare hours in wandering through neighbouring farms and not playing cricket with other boys.

However every dog, or every cat, has his or her days. Mine also came. It was surprise for all of my family members when one of my teachers found me painting landscapes with coloured pencils. She saw my work on drawing papers. She liked it, and she licked it into my family circles. That was the first recognition as a possible artist. This incident gave relief to my mother, as she had stopped worrying about my unaccounted hours. My father was uncommitted as usual. But I found one change: my pocket money was doubled. It enabled me to pay the costs of colours and drawings paper.

I tell you this because such could be the story of many of the would-be artists. Some of them might not be fortunate to get any opportunity to excel or a have pat on their backs. In the days of college I went through two major happenings. One was to award me a life long unhappiness, the life long mortgage of my freedom; and another showered upon me a life long happiness: I met my future wife in college; and for happiness I thank my college library that helped me meeting the writings of great artists.

I went through the big volumes of art books containing the experiences these artists went through. I read about all the techniques they used while using the colours, I went through the minute details about how these artists handled their paint brushes and how passionately they stood before the canvases, for days and months together. I read all these materials, stroke by stroke, dash by dash, drop by drop; I was a ‘round-the-clock’ reader in those days.

You can read my other articles about OTHER PAINTINGS and PAINTINGS OF BEAUTIFUL WOMEN at the links given in the left sidebar here.

2. knot2share

knot2share Gold IL'ite

Very nice Nawalji! Is this your first painting? It is dated 1995 so I don't think so. I am wondering if your paintings had any vibrant colours when you had met your future wife in college? Did it say stories of you two? Did it portray what you felt? Just curious thats all. Have heard many musicians composing a piece based on real life incidents. So figured you would be one too. Thank you for sharing as always.

3. Navaljee

Navaljee Senior IL'ite

From Navaljee to knot2share
    After 2001, I have started practicing as a lawyer in Gujarat High Court, and I now hardly get time to paint. For family mater, I can say that I am very happy. I do not know whether she had found me or I have found her. Hahaha. For other articles about painting written by me, you can see the links given in left sidebar here.
    -Naval Langa