1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My 4 month old baby eats less suddenly

Discussion in 'Breast Feeding' started by smileAlways, Dec 16, 2011.

1. smileAlways

smileAlways Gold IL'ite

Hi,

I am having a 4 month old DD who is exclusively breast fed. I am back to work 4 weeks before. She used to take approx 450 ml(400-500) of milk from bottle altogether while I was at work. Suddenly from the last week she is only taking 240-250 ml. I am worried if she is getting enough. She seems to be happy and active otherwise. Does anyone experience this? Is this due to climate change? Or is this a developmental phase that they lose appetite?
    * *On a related note I have another question. I used to pump and store once a day in the morning one month before getting back to work. In that way I had enough supply for emergencies in the freezer. After back to work, i used to pump in the morning and twice at work. This was enough for her. During weekends I pumps only in the morning and stores. Now that she is taking lesser amount of milk, *I am running out of freezer space and I believe probably I will never use the frozen milk( planning to donate the milk in that case) . Due to this, for the last 2 days I stopped pumping in the morning and pumping only once at work( since i skips first 2 pumping sessions, she is getting enough from this one session without touching the frozen milk, I get more time at work, no wastage of milk). I am kinda worried that, due to pumping once in 23 hours will reduce my supply and when her appetite is back to normal, I will be getting lesser milk for the day. Is there anyway we can increase the supply once it lows?I know if she directly feeds it will be like demand and supply. Since I am back to work only option I have is pumping . * I don't want to pump and save /waste more than necessary to maintain the supply.*

2. SocalMommy

SocalMommy Senior IL'ite

Dear Smilealways,
    I have exclusively breastfed both my babies for about a year each. No formula ever. Went back to work after six weeks of my delivery and pumped at work. First twice a day and then gradually once a day. Children grow and eat at their own pace. Today your DD might only take half of her normal feeding, tomorrow she might take double. I don't think climate has anything to do with the amount of your DD's feeding. As far as your milk supply getting low, you already have the answer-demand and supply. The more you feed, the more your body makes milk. In a month or two, your DD might be ready for solid food too. Check with your Pediatrician.

Other useful resources that I found helpful are: 1. Breastfeeding clinic (Check with the hospital that you delivered your baby at) 2. Checking the "La Leche League" website and 3. Calling 1-800-4-GERBER (for any parenting/feeding/baby related question). I hope it helps. Good luck with breastfeeding. Remember, by breastfeeding you are giving your baby the gift of health and immunity so keep going.
    Regards,
    Hajira

3. sahana2011

sahana2011 Junior IL'ite

SA,is 450 ml the total of her 24 hrs feed?how is she at nights?

4. smileAlways

smileAlways Gold IL'ite

oh..Sahana....Its a mistake..I meant 12 hrs..I was typing in hurry. 450 ml for 11-12 hrs during the day..night i am directly feeding her. i did not notice a difference..but night I will be in sleep while feeding, i dont even remember the time and number of feedings in the morning

5. smileAlways

smileAlways Gold IL'ite

Thank you so much Hirija for replying me..it is informative

I dont mind taking a bit less or more if its the pattern ..but she had been consistently taking 400-450 ml for 2 weeks and suddenly reduced to take around 250 ml for this whole week.
    i have heard that during winter, its difficult to digest the food.
    I am not planning to introduce solid food until 6 months, unless its necessary. I know that i have to reduce the pumping slowly after the introduction of solid foods to her.

6. dimple123

dimple123 New IL'ite

breast milk can be frozen for up to six months. So you can keep pumping. feeding at night is a good idea as its keep your supply up and also keeps her well fed. if she is peeing 4 wet diapers a day minimum and seems fine then dont worry. Babies take in what they need they dont starve themselves. They need more sometimes and suck more and then we automatically produce more as they demand more. Pump and save if needed,and solids can be gradually started between 4-6 months,dont worry aobut it.

7. smileAlways

smileAlways Gold IL'ite

Thanks dimple. My baby returned to her normal schedule after one week. It was just a passing phase..

@ mods, can you close this thread, as the issue is solved..
    Thanks

8. RadiantCat

RadiantCat Gold IL'ite

Babycorn looks like you have forgotten your sept 2011 group!