1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My 21 months old doesn't talk yet!!

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by ashwinid01, Oct 28, 2015.

1. ashwinid01

ashwinid01 Gold IL'ite

I am really getting stressed out.. My 21 month old isn't having many words. My heart says there's no big problem may be he is speech delayed a bit in comparison to his peers but the stuffs on internet and with n number of relatives and friends asking it really freaks me out.

Am not that happy with ped and it's difficult to change his ped. When i expressed my concerns to ped she referred us to a Audiologist.. We visited him last week,turns out my Son has good hearing. But that Audiologist was the most insensitive doctor i have come across. I was really hopeful he give some words of encouragement but he was totally opposite. He dint let us speak and he only kept talking. He was using terms like MR (not for my son but i general) and that had totally put me off and probably more worried than ever. And he also told i we have to wait till he turns 2 for further examination.

My son is super active,never sits at one place if not for some rhymes or books. He is happy most of the time. He says word Car whenever he sees car. THat is the most often used word by him. When he is really irritated or badly wants me to hold him he calls me Mum. Says papa couple of times. What worries me he says couple of words and then never repeats them again. It comes only once. For ex words like Thank you,I love you,Goodnight. For few days he said word book and stopped (only 2 days), then he said aaight (for light) for 1-2 days and stopped. He follows my instructions (Example when i ask him to get his car, or sit on his bobby car,get me water, put down his pants etc.). Goes to day care. He plays alongside of kids sometimes and sometimes plays on his own which the care taker says is pretty normal for his age. He is not a very great pointer. Points only sometimes. But communicates what he wants. When i point at something he looks at it. Pretend plays toys. In his day care he sleeps and eats on his own but not at home. His eyecontact with me and his caretakers is pretty good but not so much with strangers. He enacts for few rhymes. Humms for few rhymes and shows his body parts.

He cuddles,kisses,loves playing peek a boo,train train,catch me if u can.

Am desperately waiting for his speech. Since am a working mom i feel very guilty that may be i am not giving him best of time.

I know 21 months is not too late but it is not too early as well for expecting.

If it helps he is growing in multilingual environment : At home Indian language,day care different language and rhymes in english.

Please advice me what to do.

2. vaidehi71

vaidehi71 IL Hall of Fame

Change the paed if not happy and no help obtained.

3. ashwinid01

ashwinid01 Gold IL'ite

Hi Vaidhei.. I tried that.. Many ped are not ready to take new kids esp if they already have one ped.

4. deeprapriya

deeprapriya Gold IL'ite

OP,

I dont think, your son has any issue. Usually boys will be late to talk, that what I heard from my parents and my relative circle.....Dont worry...

He speaks few words like car,mamma,papa and all... definitely there is no issue..... He is going to day care right???...Let him mingle with his own circle which will make him talk... even at home, let him play with neighbour kids....

When you spend time with him, make sure you dont encourage his actions...For example, if he wants something, let him express it but should not point that and ask....

If he points and asks, you tell him, "this is toy, car"... Keep talking to him, like how you talk to others, though he understand or not, it will be recorded in his mind...

Lets also wait and see what others reply.....

One more thing, if your child has any problem, it would have been shown in earlier developmental stages as delays..... My co sister's DS had issues from 3rd month... He didnt look at face and smile... He didnt realize it.... We found and checked with doctor and came to know that, he has hearing problems.... He was not able to hear at all....(Parents got married in relative circle!!!!).....

Your case is no where related to this....Please stop worrying....

1 person likes this.
  5. vaidehi71

vaidehi71 IL Hall of Fame

What did the paed say so far? I think that since the hearing is normal that is not the reason. How many words does he speak?

1 person likes this.
  6. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

Don't worry, as he is understanding things and talking car etc , stuff. Actually as he is going to day care he is socializing , listening to others, not only from home . I.e good I feel. when u tell him cat , etc words tell in both languages English and ur language.

Looks exactly like my son, he used to talk few small words and amma, but he understands most of the small sentences , I too asked my ped around 22 months, he said he is fine and said , He knows this is hospital, so crying looking at me, he goes to day care, all is good.
    Before few weeks of his 2 nd bday he started talking 2 word sentences , bday , balloons all he knows and started telling. If We talk to them when we r together and show animals vegetables etc board books it is good, now my son 2.6 talks and calls me amma Amma all the time for playing , and asks specically what he wants.

1 person likes this.
  7. ashwinid01

ashwinid01 Gold IL'ite

His ped last referred us to Audiologist, and she told she hopes there's no problem. Her son himself was talking late. But the generally in country i stay i dont find doctors assuring. They always speak of worst cases. And their typical answer would be "I dont know, I cant say." Will meet her in November again.

Till now he has uttered to close about 10-15 words. But Many words have been said only once. Per day he uses only about 4 words.

8. ashwinid01

ashwinid01 Gold IL'ite

Thank you for your reply Kashmir flower. In his books he shows few animals, icecream,train,car,ship etc. And when i say "Eat the Icecream", he pretends eating from his book.
    I miss an assuring doctor here.

9. ashwinid01

ashwinid01 Gold IL'ite

How is your nephew doing now? From what i heard from the audiologist i met,if it hearing disbility it can be corrected via some procedures.

10. deeprapriya

deeprapriya Gold IL'ite

We had done Cohlear Implantation for him @chennai.... he is completing 3 in december... talking small small words....going to school...

1 person likes this.