1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

My 15kg Weight Loss Journey..dedicated Buddies Pls Join Me..lets Loose The Extra Flab

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by felonopsis, Jan 19, 2018.

1. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

A good doctor can also be worth their weight in gold. I saw a new endocrinologist last November, who also happens to be South Asian. She took one look at my records and said that I would have to work extra hard due to insulin resistance. She advised me to follow a keto diet, which is not easy as I am a vegetarian. I have however incorporated many changes like going low-carb, cutting out wheat, added sugars, most grains and dairy. My reading also led me to the Obesity Code by Dr. Jason Fung, and the intermittent fasting concept. It was like a light bulb finally exploded in my brain. I do the 8:16 plan of eating, that is taking in all my calories between noon-8 pm. The stubborn weight is finally starting to come off.
    I didn't mean to hijack this thread, just wanted to point out the book if anyone wants to look into it further.

felonopsis and madras2018 like this.
  2. madras2018

madras2018 Platinum IL'ite

Agree. A good endocrinologist can help resolve a wide variety of problems ranging from depression, infertility to difficulty in losing / gaining weight - all stemming from thyroid functions.
    Yes these are important changes to make. I thought I shld go vegan or limit dairy. But it turns out that plan is not for everybody. My dietician needs me to have a cup of yogurt during lunch as I am a vegetarian and due to my other conditions, I have limited protein choices.

Interesting point abt the 8:16 diet too. What do you eat for breakfast or when you get up ? I am also curious how do you do keto diet / low carb as a vegetarian. what are your carb options ?

One major thing I miss about being in the U.S is being able to get field greens/ aragula / baby spinach. Such things are either hard to get or very expensive in India.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
    felonopsis likes this.
  3. Rakshini

Rakshini Silver IL'ite

Hi kalcandu,dont worry.most of them here have thyroid problems.pcod s also common nowadays.just follow a healthy lifestyle.yr weight will reduce.good luck for your TTC journey.

kalcandu likes this.
  4. madras2018

madras2018 Platinum IL'ite

Hope you are getting treatment for these.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
    kalcandu likes this.
  5. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

I have never been a breakfast person but would dutifully eat out of habit. It was easy for me to skip. I just have a large cup of green matcha tea and that keeps me going till noon. But if you are used to eating breakfast you can just tailor your hours around that.
    I don't do a proper keto diet since I don't like eggs or avocados. I just try to follow a healthy eating pattern with lots of salad, fresh vegetables, strictly measured portions of nuts and greens. And I do eat some brown rice, lentils and beans.

felonopsis and madras2018 like this.
  6. kalcandu

kalcandu Silver IL'ite

Hi. Thanks for asking. I have been prescribed vitamin B12 and vitamin d tablets. I have not been asked to do anything for pcos. Gynac just asked if periods regular, which i said yes. Then she said we will wait for one month for tsh(4.58) and vitamin levels to stabilize and then you try naturally for 2 cycles. If not successful she said she would give me pill to induce ovulation.

Am i supposed to do some treatment for pcos?

7. kalcandu

kalcandu Silver IL'ite

Thanks Rakshini for your kind reply. Yes i was shocked that i have so many health issues without the commonly associated symptoms of these diseases. The only symptom i had was for vit b12 deficiency, which is nerve tingling and pins and needles sensation in hands and feet. Thyroid was discovered in a routine blood test. Vit d no symptoms, so also pcos... So finding it tough to accept reality.

Ya it is true that these days the lifestyle is so bad that it is nothing to be surprised of if there's are health issues. I am eating healthy since last 6 years, rarely eaten outside... Only drawback is no exercise.. So it is hard for me to cope with all these developments.

Living alone with husband, stay at home wife also makes me feel even more morose. I am glad to have this forum to have someone to share with

8. coffeecups

coffeecups Gold IL'ite

Hi, welcome to the group.
    Have you started thyroid meds? Are you taking it on empty stomach and giving 30min gap?
    Pcod... Is quite common these days. So, don't worry. Reducing weight helps to control pcod and improve ur chances of conceiving.
    There is nothing like rice is harmful and chapathi is good. They are misconceptions.
    But white rice is plain carbs and a bad thing for pcod. So are carb rich foods that tip your insulin balance off.
    Try to eat foods which are digested slowly and there by let's your body release insulin slowly and not as spikes.
    Go for greens, whole vegetables ( preferably avoid starchy tubers) and sprouts etc.
    Make a food journal and see how you are eating at present and what are the changes you can bring in it.
    Things can't change overnight and it needs consistency and committment.
    Include exercises in your daily routine.
    And also consult a good dietician regularly until you understand the changes you need to bring in.
    Educate yourself and apply the knowledge.
    Good luck

felonopsis and kalcandu like this.
  9. coffeecups

coffeecups Gold IL'ite

Meet an endocrinologist.
    They might start you on some medicines to counter insulin resistance.
    Meanwhile good diet and regular exercise are the key.

kalcandu likes this.
  10. kalcandu

kalcandu Silver IL'ite

Thanks a lot!
    I am now taking thyroid meds for last 7 months. Yes i take them first thing in the morning on empty stomach and eat breakfast much later.

I always thought rice was bad and chapati was good. Thanks for clearing that myth. I now understand the benefit of eating foods which keep us full longer. Food journal seems like a good idea. I do love potatoes and eat them weekly. These food restrictions do pinch the happiness out of you:sleepy:

I am based in Chennai. Could someone recommend an Endocrinologist? I would be grateful. Thanks