1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

My 10 Year Old Wants A Starter Bra…

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by anika987, Dec 15, 2022.

1. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Anika, not to make you worry ahead of time... but this is only the start. My daughter had friends in swim who used tampons. She asked if she can use too though she did not swim regularly. I said yes and got 2-3 types of them. When I briefly explained how to use them, she decided napkins were fine. : ) I was so relieved because knowing her like she was in her teens, she would most likely forgotten to change the tampon when needed. I am grateful that was one reminder service I didn't have to provide. :grazy:

Turns out, it is perfectly fine for preteen girls to use tampons. But my ancient old-fashioned mind balked at the idea.

anika987 likes this.
  2. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

My daughter is 7. I am sure she will ask for bras soon. So be it! Many of her classmates (8 yo) are already wearing starter bras. Don't make it a big deal. Just take her shopping and get her what she wants. I am sure she has a lot of other things that she doesn't necessarily need, this is just another piece of clothing.

My 9-year-old son asked me to buy him deodorant because he felt his armpits get stinky after playing outdoors. We looked up kids' deodorant and apparently there is a brand called "Growing Up" that makes deo for 8-12 yo boys. I bought those, he wore it a few times and doesn't wear it anymore. It's fine.
    Kids are growing up, and they know what they want (at least they think so). As a parent, we need to be open-minded and not compare with what we did at their age. We were growing up in different times and in a different society.

anika987 likes this.
  3. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Anika,
    This is so true. It isn’t what you think it to be. It is vicious. It takes years to overcome and you aren’t doing your DD any favors by denying her. Actually you can relate to this better than us. You’ve struggled to fit in, find acceptance and stand up to relentless pressures. How do you expect your 10 yrs old to do it? It’s not easy to deal with peer pressure at any age and she’s at her most vulnerable.

I don’t know if you are trying to make her stronger by pushing back at this stage but that’s not how it works. She needs to feel included at this age. A starter bra is no biggie. It’s made for 8-11 yrs olds. I wouldn’t tell a 10 yrs old that her friends have different body types than her and they can wear the starter bra. That is a recipe for body image issues. She probably is already aware of it and wants to fit in anyway.

anika987 likes this.
  4. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Hmm true…

I brought one simple starter bra like a short tank top as of now.If she prefers something else will buy it for her.Thank you

Anusha2917 likes this.
  5. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Anika, I know you've resolved this for now and moved on to other topics : ) but I wanted to say one more thing. When a child wants to try something before a certain age, it can feel unsettling or jarring for the parent. Two examples that come to my mind are preteen girls wearing dark colored lipsticks or high heeled footwear. It is hard to explain why. Other things like shaving arms, legs, or getting eyebrows, upper lip, chin threaded or elaborate hair style ... can be OK even for preteens if they want to, but dark color on the lips and the gait that comes with high heels steals their innocence. Similarly, a girl wearing a bra before it being necessary can feel "not right" in a inexplicable way.

It's been raining like crazy in my area, so I was clearing up many draws and underbed storages not looked at in years. Came across some of my DD's beginner bras. LOL.. that sorting is paused and here I am. : )

nayidulhan likes this.
  6. nayidulhan

nayidulhan Silver IL'ite

Could you please share your opinion on the pros and cons of shaving vis-à-vis waxing to start for 12 year olds? Also, at what age do they get the eye brows done? (I started when I was ~16yo because I didn't really need to but then times change so fast and I am almost a fossil now) :D

7. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

I did waxing in India till I came to US because it was easy and everyone was doing it. The prevailing wisdom was that shaving would cause the hair to grow coarse and thick. The advantage of waxing for so many years is that the hair growth has definitely reduced. Now I only shave and I use the Venus 5-blade razors with frequent replacement of the blades.
    My Western friends say that they have always only shaved their legs and waxed their eyebrows. I prefer threading and go to Indian parlor for that. I started shaping my eyebrows at 16 but mine are mostly neat and just need a little bit of tidying. You can ask your DD what she prefers.

nayidulhan likes this.
  8. nayidulhan

nayidulhan Silver IL'ite

Thanks for your reply, MalStrom. So basically the pros and cons of waxing and shaving are the same or at least similar. One can choose either over the other considering one's convenience, right?
    I have always used the waxing technique for hair removal & threading for shaping the eyebrows- in India as well as US. I don't really know why...:)
    A mother recently mentioned about some powder that's available online. One has to just dust the arms/ legs with it, wait and wipe off. Job's done, she said! :innocent:

MalStrom likes this.