1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My 10 year old daughter is going thru puberty

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by lakshmi6102, Jul 14, 2014.

1. lakshmi6102

lakshmi6102 New IL'ite

Thank u everyone. For all the kind and reassuring things that you have said. I am consulting another endocrinologist, and also my husband and I have decided not to go for any injections. I just hope my daughter won't be shorter than me. Thank you everyone. I am so happy and grateful for all your responses. I feel so relieved now.

Lakshmi

Last edited: Jul 16, 2014
    4 people like this.
  2. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

all the best for your daughter. do talk to her about menarche, prepare her.

if you find it uncomfortable talking about it as a mom, you can talk quoting a cooked up incident like x who was my classmate had her periods in class and i was your age, and did not know about it, and then it was granny who sat with me and talked about the changes, the reasons and that it was normal. all ladies above a particular age get it even i did"

being normal, being there for her is the best thing you can do for her now as parents.

1 person likes this.
  3. maroon

maroon Gold IL'ite

Great decision dear. NEVER go against the nature unless extremely required.
    On the other hand, I have heard swimming helps increase height and also delay menarche. Why don't you put her for swimming?
    Skipping is good too.

4. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Lakshmi,
    I bought a book for my DD and we read it together. That helped prepare her. Not sure if it's available where you live(The care and keeping of you - body book for girls). I bought it on amazon. She was well prepared when she attained menarche. I sill remember how shocked I was. Apparently my cousin who is a doc did tell my mom that she needs to talk to me about it but my mom told her she was too shy to. I was zapped. I thought I got some disease. So talk to your dd.

L

5. Priya4oct

Priya4oct Gold IL'ite

Hi Lakshmi,

Just an advise for height, motivate your daughter to participate in physical activities like cycling, monkey bar, running etc. I have personally seen my SIL's sister , who was very short in the age of 10 and her whole family is short including father. Since childhood , she wanted to join Police and did lot of exercise (specially cycling, swimming and monkey bar). She is 5 ft 7 inch and tallest in family.She got her puberty in 12 year (class 8th)

6. Happy2be

Happy2be Gold IL'ite

Ya even I t hink you should not interfere in nature's course. My cousin attained menarche at 10 yrs when she was 5" and now I am 5.2", though I got my periods when I was 13 yrs and she is 5.5". So don't worry and be calm with DD and help her understand her body better.

Take care.God Bless all kids.

7. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

I am one such example who attained [FONT=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]menarche at the age of 10+. I was short like any 10 year old girl then. But I grew, and now I am 169cm. I think I stopped growing only after my O/Ls. That was about the age of 15 I guess. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]The growth of that time (immediately after puberty) was too much. I suddenly grew to a notable height. But then, it slowly increased till I stopped growing. [/FONT]

8. Nandini786

Nandini786 Junior IL'ite

Relax.. Don't worry... There is nothing wrong, it is very normal in present life style. You just provide her the information regarding menstrual periods in detail and also you can gift her the "menstrupedia comic book".