1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My 10 year old daughter is going thru puberty

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by lakshmi6102, Jul 14, 2014.

1. lakshmi6102

lakshmi6102 New IL'ite

Dear friends,

My daughter turned 10 years last month. Her body started maturing suddenly last year (about 18 months back). Last month when we went to the hospital for a flu vaccine, her pediatrician said she is too short. Yes, she is the shortest in her class. She is only 125 cm tall. I am 145cm and her father is 165 cm. So if she gets her periods now she will grow only 2 or 3 inches more, i.e., she will be only about 135 or 140cm tall. So pediatrician referred us to an endocrinologist. Endocrinologist took a blood test and x-ray (to check bone age). He said her growth is too fast and she will get her periods in 6 months time. So he advised us to give her an injection called "Leuprorelin Acetate" every month for next two years. This will delay her mensuration and give her some time to get taller, at least my height. But in his opinion it is a little late to start, but not too late. He asked us to consult good endocrinologists back in our state in India. And also buy medicine from India as it is expensive in UAE. Did anyone here give their daughters any such injection? I am very much worried. Please advise. At present I am in India, consulted an endocrinologist who advised the same thing. He said we should take the injection asap without any more delay. He also said if we are worried we can consult one more endocrinologist, for a 3rd opinion. Please help me, I am worried about the side effects.

2. malathi0874

malathi0874 Silver IL'ite

hi friend,
    there is nothing wrong on consulting another endocrinologists, and my suggestion to u is consult a gynecologist also, discuss with the gynec about the endocrinologists reports with her and come to conclusion.

1 person likes this.
  3. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Ten year olds are attaining menarche world wide. It's unfortunate but true. I would worry if she was eight but at ten, docs here just let nature take it's course. IMO, it's best to not go for any injections/meds that will alter the natural growth process of the body. both my nieces were 5' when they attained menarche. Both are 5'8" now. So they did grow 7-8" afterwards. It's a good idea to get a second opinion from another doc about the shots. You can ask the doc about all it's potential side effects too.

7 people like this.
  4. Saisakthi

Saisakthi IL Hall of Fame

:welcome Sister Lakshmi6102 to IL family,

One of our family friend who is a Physician herself let her daughter attain menarche on its own course when she was going to be ten, when we asked her, with so much of advancement in medicine and technologies, should she not have preferred to postpone the same, she said it is not advisable to interfere into the natures way of physical function.

Personally I do feel that height doesn't stop there if a child has attained puberty, do update, perhaps it would be beneficial for others too.

May Baba guide us always, SAIRAM

3 people like this.
  5. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Lakshmi,

she is 10. i have heard and i think it was discussed somewhere in this forum that the leuprorelin acetate was used to treat precocious puberty which means onset of puberty before 8 which increases the bone growth and growth of sexual characteristics..

the new average for menarche now is at 9-10 these days. i know of two kids who started menarche at 8.

now my question:

the doctors know that menarche at 10 is not something abnormal, so why the injections. was it because of your stress on her height or your worry about her height..

i know of kids who have grown a few inches after the onset of puberty both in boys and girls. you find sudden spurt in many cases.

My DD grew a few inches after her menarche.

My son is 16 and has issues because of being tall(everything has a pro and con). and during a physio last week his physiotherapist was telling me that he may grow a few more inches until 18-19.

I agree that there are chances for stunt(not stop) of growth after getting menarche but then you never know. what is the guarantee that giving her six months or 2 year she is going to get her dad's height what if she has your gene.(sorry to be blunt)

For your satisfaction you can take the opinion of another doctor but i would say do not tamper with nature. the cost will be high. as it is we see so many issues cropping with girls from indirect tampering through food and environment.

now as laks09 says you need to check out with the doctor on the side effects. i don't want to scare you, but when you use a hormonal drug that is used for treating some other conditions too, the side effects are huge. flashes, nausea, irritation and many more..it will effect her system. and don't you think 2 years is a long period.

rather as a mom, i would say, teach her to accept her height, raise her confidence, be supportive and make her strong. i would have a healthy not so tall child rather than a girl who has long bearing side effects for this tamper..

6 people like this.
  6. MaliniHari

MaliniHari Gold IL'ite

In my opinion, let nature decide. Do not go for medicines and put the little one through stress. Are you sure that by delaying menstruation, she would grow taller? No one can give an assurance. Instead, let nature decide these things. Teach your kid to be smarter. What in case you inject the medicine and still she did not grow tall? Would she not be developing an inferiority complex on her height?

I would suggest strongly to double check with an gynae and endocrinologist and then decide if you all are fully convinced.

PS: I am 150 cms taller and not once in my life have I felt I am shorter, and short of confidence, never!

Good luck!

3 people like this.
  7. god2014

god2014 Gold IL'ite

Let the things happen naturally as 10 is not a low number for puberty, i am telling my personal experience. i got it at the age of 12 when i was in just class 6 to 7.. Very early in my family as my mom got it at 19-20years.. i am 163cms now, i was in growing phase that time, no way i think they would affect her growth. So you can anyhow consult a docter but better to take it as god has bestowed the kid now with next phase so teach her how to handle them, go ahead instead of panicking about it... Induce the confidence, mental strength and encourage the kid to accept the natural change that is on her way instead of delaying it... :cool2:

1 person likes this.
  8. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

God2014,

On the hereditary thing, i remember having this discussion with my gynaec when my dd was 8. i was too early. so to be prepared, i was talking to her about how to go about, and how things are and more. she asked me about both the paternal and the maternal side, and told me sometimes the precedence could be from the paternal side and also that we should minus 1/2/3 years from the age that it happened to us. and she was right my DD took after her paternal aunt, who was late at that point of time.

Lakshmi,

We do understand your concern and maybe you are taking cues from your experiences of being short. don't think all your daughter will go through the same. things change. you have a better understanding of things, you can teach your daughter to handle it better.

and all the best to you. though it is easy for us to give you suggestions, i know it is difficult for you as a parent to go through it. but relax, be strong and more knowledgeable and prepared to take the issue one step at a time.

teaching her to take care of herself, talking about puberty, the changes, the use of pads and things. take it as a bonding time with your daughter. make the transition from being a girl to woman easier.

and do come back if you want to talk some more.

1 person likes this.
  9. cutemonster

cutemonster Platinum IL'ite

hi lakshmi
    i can understand your concerns as a mother but even i feel we should not interfere with the nature.
    i attained my puberty at two months shy of 12th b day, it was shocking for my mom and grand mom and my mom took me to a doctor but she told that it was normal these days and many girls are attaining puberty earlier and true to it, my cousin attained it even earlier than me. i grew up fine and i am 5'4 " and my cousin is 5"8. i grew 4 inches after puberty .
    if you will stress more about it, your daughter might get scared and confused that whats wrong with her, already all that body changes with puberty are little overwhelming and on top of it if you have to take hormonal injections which will surely have some side effects will be too much for a young girl.
    you can take a opinion of another doctor preferable a gynecologist.
    puberty is just a natural process and height, etc are more dependent on genes so rather than just stressing on height, try to make your daughter comfortable and confident about her body.

2 people like this.
  10. pantu

pantu Gold IL'ite

Hi, I would like to say you can consult to other docs but don't stop the nature. If she is going to have her periods soon that is ok. I also got my periods early. I am 5'6 inch.
    It is a natural process please don't interfere with it.