1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

My 1.4 yr old boy is on hunger strike for 2 days now :(

Discussion in 'Health Issues' started by abinayamadhavan, Apr 21, 2014.

1. abinayamadhavan

abinayamadhavan Silver IL'ite

All,

My boy got vomiting on last friday evening after my IL fed him Mosambi juice(which he doesn't take normally). He had vomiting al through the night around 3 times. Saturday I took him to the doctor and she gave medicines for fever, vomiting and an antibiotic. He had slight temp also. saturday he was perfectly okay and ate less than what he normally eats. Sunday he didnt eat at all. sunday night again he vomitted twice. today again he has eaten only a half idli since morning. I am worried. what I do?

Shall i take him to doc again? or continue the medicines? He didn't have fever or vomiting today.

Similar Threads
    1. sumanr
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Vinu4me
      Replies:
      Views:
    3. mkclg
      Replies:
      Views:
  2. brahan

brahan Platinum IL'ite

Its better to take him to the dr immediately..Not eating for more than 2 days must have sure made him weak. How is his milk intake...Are yous till BF him?

3. abinayamadhavan

He is active. Yesterday morning he had a glass of milk and half idli in morning. Afternoon he had 4-5 spoons of porridge. Dinner-half idlie which he vomitted.

Today morning he had half idli and half glass of milk. After i have come to office, he has not eaten anything

4. fellowblogger

fellowblogger Silver IL'ite

1 person likes this.
  5. abinayamadhavan

not much restrictions on the food. He takes the drained water from cooked rice (kanji) and milk. He doesn't eat any solids. As you say he has got gastroenteritis as well as a viral infection. He hardly sleeps in the night and cries through out. seems like he has some difficulty may be a stomach ache or body pain :( I don't understand... I am relying on fluids as of now.

Generally viral infections will go off in 4 or 5 days? am i right?? I can't see him like this :(

6. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

Give him lots of fluids. Soups, formula, electrolyte restoring fluids - preferably prescribed.
    Also check if he is teething. Teething gels of paracetamols might help reduce the pain. Not eating much for a few days won't do him much harm. However not drinking / not having wet nappies is a huge cause for concern. In that case take him to the doctor immediately. Keep giving him plenty of fluids.

Kids do fall sick and recover in a few days. Just think of it like this - We all did and it helps build our immunity.

7. vadapallisudha

vadapallisudha Gold IL'ite

Hi,

Swastika too is unwell since Thursaday. we took her to the pediatrician on Friday since she had vomited twice previous night and her stool was slightly gooey. The doc gave some medicines and suggested for an stool test. We will get the reports today, doc wants to see if there is any intestinal infection etc. he has given mebex and antibiotic tonic. She doesn't show any signs of pain in her abdomen but her diet has considerably reduced. Even today morning she pooked out a bit but later had a little breakfast and half mug of milk. lunch was plain roti with small bowl of dahi.

I think ur son need de-worming as u mentioned that he hardly sleeps at night. kids with worms shows signs of pain around their belly when touched that area and dont like to play, irritated, poor diet etc.

Try giving veg kichidi, moong dal kichidi(watery n rice well mashed), plain white bread toast, plain soups, buttermilk etc. they are easily digestible.

Check his wet diapers, stools. Give him plenty of water if he drink ORS then nothing like it swastika hates flavored water. Initially she had only one or 3 wet undies since y'day she is better. Just see that he is not dehydrated, complete the dose the doc gave.

sudha

8. abinayamadhavan

Thanks Gueshoo..

Yes, Sudha he needs de-worming to be done. Its a holiday here on thursday, and am planning to take him to ped then. Last dec he had a similar type of fever ( worst than this) and ended up not eating for more than 5 days.

I understand this is common in children. But then i have no heart to see him suffering. Let your kid recover soon. I am making sure he drinks some fluids atleast.

9. fellowblogger

fellowblogger Silver IL'ite

it is ok if your kid throws up, bacterias comes out that way....they will have stomach pain thatz the reason why ur kid must be crying....my DD just recovered from this hence i know the symptoms....as i said earlier give lot of fluids...i gave electrol, juice, just lots of water is also good, butter milk, ganji etc....since your kid is too small just give him liquid suitable to his age.....dont force feed he will ask when hungry, dont panic if he throws up, clean him and make him drink, make sure hez not dehydrated....if fever is high give sponge bath....my DD had 103+ temp for a whole day i gave her bath in light cold water thrice, thatz what brought the fever down. i think for a 1 1/2 yr old u can just give sponge bath....dont worry he will be fine....

1 person likes this.
  10. Vikramguliya

Vikramguliya New IL'ite

Its better always to consult a doc before taking any suggestions from other persons