Mutton pickle?

Discussion in 'Andhra Pradesh' started by lalithanivas, Feb 9, 2011.

1. lalithanivas

lalithanivas Gold IL'ite

Hi all,

Can anyone post the recipe of Mutton pickle?I searched a lot but could not get any where.I already posted in Non veg recipes thread.Since no body is giving reply I thought of posting here.I think Andhra ladies know how make mutton pickle.If any one know please give the recipe.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2011

2. svssnec

svssnec Junior IL'ite

My mom actually makes very good non veg pickles. I know the process/ingredients but dont know the proportions correctly. I will check with her and post the correct recipe soon.

3. svssnec

svssnec Junior IL'ite

Ingedients :
    1kg mutton
    1 1/2 cup( electric rice cooker cup) kaaram,
    1/2 spoon -lavangam powder,
    1/2 spoon-ilaichi powder,
    1/2spoon saajeera,
    1/2 spoon dalchina chekka powder,
    5 spoons avapodi,
    1tsp menti podi,
    1cup (electric cooker cup) nimmarasam. ,
    2tsp pachi dhaniya powder,
    2tsp garam masala.
    4 spoons avaalu,
    1/4 kg allam vellulli

Method : clean, cut mutton pieces into 1/2 inch pieces. wipe and dry in shade. The pieces have to be kind of dry and it takes atleast 8 hrs to dry. once dry, deep fry these pieces on a medium low flame.

in a bowl mix all the powders with kaaram. (saajeera, ilaichi, dhanita, menti, aavapodi, garam masala, salt, dalchina powder) in the center make a well and put ginger garlic paste. take three huge laddles of oil in a kadai. Once the oil is hot, add aavaalu and pour this hot oil on the allam vellulli paste in the kaaram well. the paste actually gets cooked in this hot oil and lets out a very nice aroma. now add the deep fried Mutton pieces to the mixture and mix well. Once the oil /kaaram mixture is completely cold, add lime juice and store in a clean container.

4. lalithanivas

lalithanivas Gold IL'ite

Hi svssnec,

Very happy to see reply from you.Since many days I have been searching for this recipe.Finally I got it here.Thanks a lot for the recipe.I shall definitely try it and let you know.May I know your name dear?

5. lalithanivas

lalithanivas Gold IL'ite

Hi svssnec,

I have some doubts.Please clarify them.
    1)As you mentioned if we dry the mutton pieces and deep fry,do they get cooked?I think they become hard after frying .Do they become hard?

2)Instead of adding hot oil to kaaram powder and ginger garlic paste , can we add ginger garlic paste to the hot oil followed by the powders and cook them for some time and then add the pieces?

Also if you don't mind will you please let me know the measurements for 250gms mutton.I want to try with 250 gms first.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2011
  6. svssnec

svssnec Junior IL'ite

Lalitha,

Am glad I was able to help you and my name is Shwetha :)

Happy cooking!!!

7. svssnec

svssnec Junior IL'ite

Lalitha,

1.You will have to dry them in shade, under a fan. You will have to cut them into small pieces and fry them in a medium low flame. The pieces will have to fry till a little golden and it will take atleast 15mins for frying one batch. If there is lot of moisture in the pieces, or you fry them at a high flame , the pieces will either burn or become hard. Even if you fry them correctly , the pieces will be slightly hard but once you add lemon juice they soften up.

3. If you add ginger garlic paste , kaaram to the hot oil, the powders and the paste will get burnt. When you do it the other way the heat is distrubuted and gives the pickle a nice aroma /taste. Remember , you will have to add HOT oil, ( when you see fumes coming switch the stove off and add this to the paste/powders)

4. Divide all the ingredients by 1/4 and you should get the quantities for a 250gm mutton.

8. lalithanivas

lalithanivas Gold IL'ite

Hi Shwetha,

Once again thanks for clarifying my doubts.I shall try it next week and let you know.

9. lalithanivas

lalithanivas Gold IL'ite

Hi Shwetha,

I prepared mutton pickle.It was very tasty.Thanks once again for the recipe.

10. svssnec

svssnec Junior IL'ite

Am glad you liked it Lalitha !!