1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Must Knows for your Little Child

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous in Parenting' started by Jlatch, Mar 5, 2008.

1. Jlatch

Jlatch New IL'ite

Hi all,

As Parents, we teach a lot of things to our little ones. numbers / alphabets / colors / shapes / nursery rhymes / capitals etc. We also teach them abt presidents and prime-ministers, about Bill Gates & what not. Do you think that we have taught them enough?

"No". We are only trying to ensure our child's secure, successful future as the world is competitive & full of child prodigies. What is missed of, is the present. How to behave/handle situations in present.

Few essentials that every child must knowevery parent must take pains to teach their child are listed below:

1. That He is good, and the world is good too. And that he is safe here, because his parents love him and ensure his safety. He must know his address and telephone numbers, and he must know how to reach his parents in case he needs them. He must know that he can trust the security person in the mall, and the neighborhood families etc. He must live with a sense of security. The ugly truth of life should be safely hidden from him for now.

2. That all are equal. Girls are as good as boys. If boys are stronger, girls are smarter.

3. That poor people deserve the same respect and dignity as others do. And that animals and plants have equal right to life as humans.

4. That etiquettes and courtesy are important part of ones’ social life, and being a kid is no excuse.

5. That world is a wonderful place with flowers, butterflies, fairies and Santa Claus. And the children are in this world to make it extra-wonderful. They are blessed with unique talents, gifts and potential , and they’ll be given the environment to harness it.

5. That no matter what, Mom and Dad will always love him, and will always have time to listen to him. He is the priority no.1 of his parents, and everything else comes a distant second. He can count on them.

6. That Books are the greatest invention ever. They have the most wonderful stories and facts, and that his parents love reading to him. Once he grows up, he’ll love reading too!

7. That some things are dangerous and kids should not touch them- Wires, Iron, electric tools, Sockets. And there are other stuff that one needs to be careful with – Heights, hot food, knives and scissors etc.

8. Every child, specially girls, must know about pubic and private parts of their body. They must be taught that it is not okay if someone touches the private parts, and they must immediately inform parents in case such a thing happens. The statistics of child abuse are alarming, and the victim’s age is generally much lower than we can ever think of.

Pl. as well add/share to this list on the essentials of child must know.

cheerS
    Jlatch.

2. babyraji

babyraji Silver IL'ite

few cents frm me
    1.sharing the things or toys with friends.
    2.smile when wishing or communicating .

raji

3. latamurali

latamurali Gold IL'ite

Well Said .....Jlatch.........Thank u very much for sharing

MY few additions:

To respect elders ( whoever they may be)
    Value of money , punctuality
    Personal hygiene
    Value of Prayer

4. padmavathi m

padmavathi m Silver IL'ite

hi friends,

good informations for everyone, thank you
    My 2cents

human ethics, good attitude, self confidence
    love and compassion................but we have to teach the child to be diplomatic in handling situations,
    no expectations, because this world, has no time for anyone, everyone are running for their living, and for their benefits.......................

love
    padma

5. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Jlatch and others

You have given almost all things that we need to teach our children
    From my side:

1. Positive attitude...that is never think in negative.
    2. Fear..I teach my kids not to fear even god, as long as you have not done anything wrong.
    3. Moral values

6. Jlatch

Jlatch New IL'ite

Raji, Lata, Padma & Shanvy,

Thanx all for stepping in & sharing your thoughts.

Emphasis & teaching of these values from early age would definitely prepare the kid in handling situations in confident manner in their life.

luv
    Jlatch

7. Oviya

Oviya Silver IL'ite

Dear Jlatch,

That is a very useful one...

My contibutions;
    There is a way to behave when outside and when others come home.
    Certain things to be discussed only with parents.
    Every problem has a solution.

Love,
    Oviya.

8. Rajul

Rajul New IL'ite

Hi all.
    We should teach them how important is to have good character.
    And I think only the parents can teach it .

9. JustAni

JustAni Silver IL'ite

Hey Jlatch....

So nice of you to start this thread.... I was thinking of starting a similar one, but it's ok.... will gel here.

I have always told my daughter to do this & wanted to share these:

1. Respect elders - your own grandparents or any other elderly people you meet.
    2. Do respectful deeds - Like holding the lift or the door for others.
    3. Greeting people whom you meet everyday.
    4. Waiting for your seniors before you have your food.
    5. If you are angry, you can sulk in your room.... in private!
    6. Always say sorry or thank someone with their address - Sorry Mamma - Thank you Appa
    7. Throw rubbish in the bin.
    8. If you want to spit, spit on a tissue & then throw in the bin - Never on the road
    9. Offer others before you have anything to eat, in their presence or not.
    10. No dirty talk while having lunch/dinner & no talking with their mouth full.
    11. "Excuse me" after every burp - My daughter now say "excuse me" after every fart too.... Big Laugh
    12. Stop them from complaining too much - They'll end up cribbing all

It's been nearly 4 + 2 months since my daughter started her school. I meet a few girls in 10th & 12th std everyday who are from the same school as my daughter. But till date I've not got a smile, forget a Hi. It's very sad to see that such basic values have not been installed in those girls.

I must tell you honestly.... I believe that once the child has grown up, it's hard to get them to do these things.... & it can be quite irritating for others to see them like that. Rant

10. sowmyaganesh

sowmyaganesh Senior IL'ite

Hi Ladies!

Well said and thanx for all your tips. I have a baby and will start to teach her from now on. Any others tips for a new mommy please don't hesitate...

luv