Musicians & Songs

Discussion in 'Queries on Religion & Spirituality' started by vaidehi, Feb 2, 2008.

1. srinivasan_vanaja

srinivasan_vanaja Gold IL'ite

Re: Pancharatna keerthnai's !

hi vaidehi,

Srirangapura Vihara is of ragam "Brindavana Saranga". MSS and Aruna Sairam had done good justice to this song.

Actually Ranjani & Gayathri started their career as violinists. Later they started giving vocal concerts and proved their excellence.

2. srinivasan_vanaja

hi sindhuja,

shanvy is correct about Varali.

normally when we need to leave the present guru, we can request the guru to teach varali.

one more song in Varali - Ka Va Va Kandha Va Va.

This song is well sung by Neyveli Santhanagopalan, Sanjay Subramanian and Unni Krishnan.

3. srinivasan_vanaja

hi shanvy,

PSSivan is your mil's maternal Periyappa! Great!

PSSivan's association with M.K.Thyagaraja Bagavathar (MKT) in those days is well known and was praised a lot.

MKT was perhaps the biggest draw among the singers of that period. His songs reigned over the hearts of the tamil people not only in India but also in Sri Lanka, Burma, Malaya and Singapore.

He has handled many ragas in films which also include very rare ragas like Ratipatipriya (today's well known song in Ratipatipriya is "Jagath Janani Sukhapani Kalyani"), Rasaali etc.

He deserves credit for popularising the then rare raga 'Charukesi' for which the carnatic music world will ever remain indebted to him. Saint Thyagaraja has himself composed only one krithi in this raga and Charukesi was not very popular in concerts until 'Manmatha leelai' was heard. From then on, even film songs were composed in Charukesi. Popular among them are 'Vasanthamullai' by TMS and 'Aadal Kaaneero' by MLV.

Papanasam Sivan, MKT and G.Ramanathan
    were indeed an epic-making trio at that time. Their coming together could have been a divine intervention. Papanasam Sivan took extra care to compose for MKT's high-pitched voice and MKT took extra care to bring out Sivan's emotions and sentiments. 'Chidambara natha' is even today the best song in Hemavathi. 'Deena Karunakarane' and 'Krishna Mukunda' are two of the all time great hits in Navroj raga.

Even today his songs are sold in thousands. MKT has withstood the test of time.

The beautiful and gentle personality and the exceptionally sweet honeydew voice that is beyond description will surely linger in the minds of his fans forever. The legend MKT continues to live in the hearts of many who mourn his death silently.

His voice sounds great to my ears. I hear to his songs whenever I feel like.

4. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

vanaja,

though i am not too conversant with the very old songs, what ever you have listed are all familiar and good ones and I also like his voice...thanks for sharing those details.

I also like ka va va...it is a favourite of my son. Veda's ex colleague used to sing that song so beautifully, that we could feel as if kandan is standing and blessing us..his voice used to mesmerise my son,when he was just 8 months

5. AGR

AGR Bronze IL'ite

Ka Va Va Kandha Va Va..I have heard this song rendered by Priya Sisters........It used to appear in Jaya after which Sriman Narayana etc would come.....When I was studying for exams I used to stop studying and listen to this song.....and pancharatna Kirtis I love hearing the rendering by Maharajapuram and after MS sudha is my favourite (love hwer Dhyanalingam which was a big hit........

6. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

Today is shukravaara . You can hear this song in every Kannadiga ' s house welcoming
    goddess Lakshmi ....... Bhaagyaada Lakshmi baaramma .

Bhaagyaada Lakshmi baaramma
    nammamma nee sau
    bhaagyaada Lakshmi baaramma

Hejjeyamele hejjeya nikkuta
    gajje-kaalina dwaniyatoruta
    sajjana saadhu poojeya veLege
    majjigeyolagina beNNeyante ......... ( bhaagyaada )

Kanaka-vrishtiya karayuta baare
    manake maanava siddhiya tore
    dinakara koTi thejadi hoLeyuva
    janakaraayana kumaari neenu ....... ( bhaagyaada )

AttittagaLade bhaktaramaneyoLu
    nityamahotsava nityasumangala
    satyavatoruta saadhu sajjanara
    chittadi hoLeyuva puttaLi bombe ..... ( bhaagyaada )

Sankhye-illada bhaagyavokoTTu
    kankaNa kaiyya tiruvuta baare
    kunkumaankite pankajalochane
    venkaTaramaNaNa binkadaraaNi .......( bhaagyaada )

Sakkare thuppaa kaaluveharisuta
    shukravaarada poojeyaveLege
    akkareyuLLa alagirirangana
    chokkapurandara viTTalana priye ............ ( bhaagyaada )

7. puni88

puni88 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Re: Bhaagyaada Lakshmi baaramma .

Hello Sundari Madam,
    THanks for posting this song...
    I like the songs by Bheem Sen Joshi from movie 'Nodi swamy naanu irodu heege'
    and by Balamuruli krishna.

~Punitha

8. aishu22

aishu22 Gold IL'ite

Dear Sunkan,
    Thankyou for posting this..I'm infact learning this from my grand mom in law, for the correct pronunciation in kananda.We especially sing it after the deepalakshmi pooja on Fridays..

9. Vysan

Vysan Gold IL'ite

Dear Sunkan,

I like this song very much.... where can i download the song....

Thanks for the lyrics......

Veda

10. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

YouTube - Bhagyada lakshmi baramma - pt.Bhimsen joshi

this song here is by bhimsen joshi for the kannada film nodi swamy naavu irodu heegey..anantnag and lakshmi have acted here.. sunkan