1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Music my passion 9 - The violin that spoke........

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Shanvy, Sep 9, 2008.

1. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

I was thinking of writing a blog on a different topic for quite sometime, could not make it due to different reasons..

This is an spontaneous one to pay tribute to the man whose violin used to speak to us, the man none other than Kunnakudi Vaidyanathan, who passed away on 8th of september.

I initially had the chance of listening to him and even watching him during the thiyagaraja aradhanai vizha, and then by chance somebody introduced a cd of his songs, I admired and was fascinated by his versatility, infact my DS got obsessed with wanting to learn the violin seeing his antics

He was not worried about being different, he always enjoyed what he did, the involvement and the enjoyment with which he did his workshops, his songs speak for themselves.

It is said, once when a small baby cried during a concert, he reproduced that on the violin.

The moment I think of this person, I can only see, a man with a shining, glittering shirt, a vibuthi adorned face, holding the instrument steady on one arm and the other moving the bow in such speeds over the strings, sometimes bringing thunders into the concert or a fine breeze.

He was heading the raga research centre in chennai, and his workshops on ragas were illuminating to every carnatic music lovers.

Kunnakkudi mentioned once that he had played some of these ragas in front of a panel of doctors and proved their efficacy.

I remember reading that he invoked the rain gods in 1982 to end water scarcity in Chennai by playing Raga Amirthavarshini standing in ankle-deep water in the nearly parched Red Hills Reservoir.

Everytime I listen to the song, Thiruparang-kundrathil nee sirithal I will remember him as it was his first song in cinema.A man who had many titles and awards to his credit.

May his soul rest in peace...:bowdown

2. Gowri66

Gowri66 Gold IL'ite

Dear Shanthi,

Read about the sudden demise of Kunnakudi. Really shocked and felt really bad. I used to admire his talent and verstality. His cheerful nature and his enthu in the Thyagaraja Aradhanai Utsavam venue is ever memorable..

May his soul rest in peace.

3. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Dear Shanthi,
    I was also shocked to hear that he is no more..when my mil conveyed this news to me after watching the Sun news and got upset., thereafter..she is an ardent fan of him, so is my DH, me, my parents...who will not be his fan after they listen to him..
    I also remember the song..'sivan yengae sakthi yengae, sivasakthi yengae yeagae..

May his soul rest in peace..

4. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Gowri dear,

His research is so profound, and infact his classes in jaya tv was so good, i had to programme my other work according to it.

5. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

sriniketan,

He used to play chinna rajave chitterumbu and sivan yengae with the same enthu and gusto...and he will be remembered for the same....

6. Saraswathipv

Saraswathipv IL Hall of Fame

Shanthi...the world of music has indeed lost a very popular cheerful personality..As you are aware..I do not have much knowledge of classical music..yet...I have watched his programs with awe...his rapport with the audience seemed unmatched.
    Yes..his performance has reportedly soothed mentally affected patients and also those with stomach ailments..
    Lets pray for his soul to rest in peace..

7. latamurali

latamurali Gold IL'ite

Yes shanthi, its a big lose to music world and also to all people, he is sucha loving and wonderful person, i have seen him in person and my cousin got his blessings for his VIJAY TV SUPER SINGER JUNIOR and also got chance to learn tips from that LEGEND and i too admire his outlook,adhukla eppodum oru deiviga kalai oru thejas erukkum and no words to say about his talent , though i dont know abc in carnactic music, but will listen to his performance with much enthu , i think he is the only person who make even simple people to sit and hear his performance

My:bowdown:bowdown:bowdown to him , may his soul rest in peace

8. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

saras,

The music world has definitely lost a very great personality.

yes, he has proved that ragas do help in curing, and there is a story that he cured his father who was ailing on his death bed to come back live with his performance.

but he always said music as a therapy needs more faith in the music.

9. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

LM,

Amen. may his soul rest in peace. nice to know that you could meet him and get his blessings. most of the saravana bhavan outlets play his songs only. and this does makes the ambience more to our liking.

I expect Kunnakudi's songs whenever i enter any saravana bhavan...

10. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Dear Shanthi,
    No one who love carnatic music could forget the face of Kunnakudi and his uniique style of playing. Thyaga Bramha Aradana would lose its charm without him in he front row. His demise a great loss to all music lovers. Your blog is a tribute to his eternal music,
    Love,
    PS