1. What Movie Did You Watch Today? : Post Here
    Dismiss Notice

Music Is Like The Sinking Star Beyond The Utmost Bounds Of Human Thought

Discussion in 'Music and Dance' started by Cheeniya, Jun 29, 2018.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

There was one man who did not feel awed by the utmost bounds of human thought in Music. Spell his name gently like the music he created- NAUSHAD. Born on 26th December 1919, Naushadji entered the boundless arena of music at the age of 21. It was an amazing journey in the boundless ocean of music till his demise. He gave 65 years of his life of 86 years to explore Music. His journey in the boundless ocean of music secured him prestigious Awards like Padma Bhushan and Dadasaheb Phalke Award. I am not even going into his other Awards and Recognition. The first film of him that I saw was Baiju Bawra in Star Talkies near my house in 1952. The theatre has been demolished but the songs remain for eternity. I saw numerous films only for his music.
    His experimentation in film music is highly noteworthy.
    "For Aan (1952), he was the first to use a 100-piece orchestra. He was the first composer to have developed the system of western notation in India. The notation for the music of the film 'Aan' was published in book form in London.
    In Uran Khatola (1955), he recorded an entire song without the use of orchestra, having replaced the sound of musical instruments with choral sound of humming.
    For Mughal-e-Azam (1960) song Ae Mohabbat Zindabad, he used a chorus of 100 persons. He asked Lata Mangeshkar to render a part of the song "Pyaar Kiya To Darna Kya" in a bathroom that had glazed tiles and then recorded the music to get the echo effect.
    For Ganga Jamuna (1961), he used lyrics in chaste Bhojpuri dialect.
    He used just six instruments in the title song of Mere Mehboob"- Courtesy Wikipedia
    Naushad had requested the Maharashtra State Government to sanction a plot for an institution for promoting Naushad had requested the Maharashtra State Government to sanction a plot for an institution for promoting Hindustani Music. This was sanctioned during his lifetime and the 'Naushad Academy of Hindustani Sangeet' was formed.

Let me now list out my favorite songs:

This song in Ragha Maulkaus is one of Rafi's top favourites. All the 13 songs of the movie are priceless gems. Four of them have been sung by Ustad Amir Khan

From the film Uran Khatola sung by Rafi for Dilip Kumar. The film was later dubbed in Tamil

Naushadji introdced for the first time introduced Ustad Bade Gulam Ali Khan in Film Music.

This the song that uses a chorus of 100 people and sung by Rafi

Sung by Lata in Mother India. This is the film that sowed the seeds of love between Nargis Nargis and Sunil Dutt who later married her.

Ghunghat Nahin Kholoongi Saiyan (Video Song) | Mother India | Nargis | Sunil Dutt
    Also from Mother India

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qb2536SvEAU (HD) - Asha Bhonsle - Ganga Jumna - 1961 - Music: Naushad - Asha Hits
    Sung by Asha in Ganga Jumna

Inhi Logo Ne Le Liya Dupatta Mera
    From Pakeezah sung by Lata

2. Mistt

Mistt IL Hall of Fame

@Cheeniya Sir,
    I guessed that you would wrote on Naushad jee :). The most favorite songs from his music composition are

Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
    Rajijb and Cheeniya like this.
  3. Cheeniya

Thanks for your prompt response @Mistt. You are my greatest motivator to continue the series

Mistt likes this.
  4. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

I think Naushad was everyone's favourite. The old songs you have mentioned are forever in our heart.

Rajijb and Mistt like this.
  5. Cheeniya

@iyerviji
    When Meena Kumari died, Naushad lamented that " Hindi film industry may produce great actresses but there would never be another Meena Kumari". I would say the same thing for Naushad as a Music Director.

Mistt likes this.
  6. Mistt

Mistt IL Hall of Fame

@Cheeniya Sir,
    To be frank, I am a great fan of your musical series. I have been knowing some of amazing songs which I missed and happy to know life stories of music composers through your series( after reading your post I check their wiki and known many things). Some old songs reminds my childhood memories that is the happiest thing for me. Thank you for starting these musical series and all these series are the greatest tribute to music composers.:)

GeetaKashyap, iyerviji and Cheeniya like this.
  7. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

Cheeniya Sir,

The music created by these greats is so great that people recall and enjoy them to date.

Rajijb and Cheeniya like this.
  8. Cheeniya

Dear @Mistt
    Thanks a lot for your appreciation and your interest in this series. I have a lot more to write about and I hope you will stay tuned to me. I love these old songs for their soft melody. I hate the cacophony of synthesized sounds of the modern days.
    Sri

Mistt likes this.
  9. Cheeniya

Dear @GeetaKashyap
    I am happy to see you following this series. Stay tuned!
    Sri

GeetaKashyap likes this.
  10. Mistt

Mistt IL Hall of Fame

No worries Sir, I will follow yours musical series as HUTCH AD :D. Agree, old songs are evergreen and I stopped to check new Hindi songs from a few years. I very rarely finding melody songs in Telugu now a days.
    Adding one more amazing song of Naushad jee's composition. What a lyrics too!

Last edited: Jul 1, 2018
    Rajijb likes this.