1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

MUSIC ! and some nostalgia...

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Mindian, Feb 28, 2010.

1. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

hey sandhya,

really?????
    i cant help thinking today it is so easy..just a click of buttons you have the song lyrics etc etc.but of course the fun of straining to catch the lyrics and feeling pleased that you have got it at last ! hahahh

2. AbhiSing

AbhiSing Gold IL'ite

Mindi My dear

Hmm another trip down the meory lane. Loved your Post and the FBs!

Music...different music reminds me of different times. And as you said, without music where I would be these 11 years in a foreign country.

Just this morning, I thought about my Thatha (who is 99 this year). I and my cousin, when we were around 10, 12 years used to dance with him as he sings this folk song to tease my Patti:

Endi kutty ennadi kutty enna seyyira nee?
    Poonai kuttiku poo mudikkiren..summava irukken naan...

There goes this song with questions and hilarious answers. I remember him singing and I dancing with him 5 or 6 years ago too during one of my trips to India.

Now heard from amma that his memory fails him more often that he finds it hard to recognise the grand dauters/GDs sometimes.

Oh Mindi...how I wish I am there now to hold thatha's hand and dance with him , hearing him singing that song in his teasing voice.

Memories both happy and sad flood with music and plunge me to a different world.

Thanks a lot. This music memory lane was very enjoyable filled with very good memories of childhood.

3. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

my dear vijee,

as always I am happy to see you and glad that the post took you down memory lane..now do you think i am full of memories only????:hide:

hahhah now that you say I realize...i dont seem to be doing anything constructive illaya..eppome reminiscing or nostalgia dhan :biglaugh

What a cute song that is !

Call it sheer coincidence but today me too was thinking about my thatha.He is 101 now and has published a book on bhagavatham when he was 90 +.my bro created a website and has put the book there . I came here directly after visiting the website.:) so was thinking about him only.

4. SoaringSpirit

SoaringSpirit Silver IL'ite

My dear Mindi,

Oooh, your musical post reminded me of many a song that have been ecthed in my memory not just because of their music but primarily because of the people and incidents around those songs. Very true that it is the people/incidents that make the song special and always a delight to listen to.. Ah, wish some of those days came back!

Some of the songs that I can think off the cuff are -

Asha's Sooni Sooni saans ke sitaar par - an old song semi classical song. My sisters and I would create a semi stage at home and dance on this song with our chunnis and all. I have yet to see the picturization of this song!

Hum to tere aashique hain sadiyon puraane - not a classy song per say but one that I enjoy listening regardless because it reminds me of the love affair my favorite lady teacher in high school had with another teacher (male of course!). They got married and had two kids while I was still in India. They were such a sweet couple.

Khwaab ho tum yaa koi haqueeqat from Teen Deviyan - my summer vacations at my cousins' where this song seemed to play on the radio almost every afternoon.

Yeh dil na hota bechara - a family friend who used to sing this song extremely well - replete with Kishore Kumar's yodelling.

O Hansini - a coworker in India who'd love singing this song all the time (not for me :)) but for the girl of his dreams. This guy was not a great singer but he sure sang this song very well. And even if he'd want to sing some other song, we'd always make him sing this one!

You're still the one by Shania Twain - my times of living and working in a city other than my husband's.

Deva ho deva ganapati deva - ganeshotsav in Mumbai

Ne mazasi ne parat matrabhoomi laa (Marathi) - of my times living in India. Arouses a strong urge in me to go back and settle there.

So many songs and so many beautiful memories. Thanks yaar Mindi for taking me down memory lane with you. It was a lovely journey with a lovelier companion like you!

Luv,
    SS

Last edited: Mar 6, 2010
  5. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

my dear buddy SS,

absolutely thrilled to see you here.it has been ages since i have seen you anywhere near snippets :) so glad that music and your fond memories associated with it brought you here.thanks dear for sharing.

oh yes cant imagine ganesh utsav without deva ho deva,holi without rang bharse,garba without oh sherowali etc etc.like you say too many memories.:)

you had to just mention a marathi song and i remembered my friend who usedd to sing songs from pinjra and also mi dolkar dolkar daryacha raja ...:)yes, i too miss mumbai a lot.

Missed you all these days.So glad you took this musical journey with me.