1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

MUSIC ! and some nostalgia...

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Mindian, Feb 28, 2010.

1. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

dear susri,

glad that you enjoyed the post. yes most of my days begin with MS only.lata mangeshkar too is another favourite :)

2. knot2share

knot2share Gold IL'ite

Dear Mindi

Music keeps me going too. When I am alone at home I normally blast the music system and get on with my house work. In between some really good songs come and I take a break and plonk myself in front of the system. Its like nobody else exists at that time other than songs and me. I listen to classical but not regularly. Adukku I need one particular mood.
    I think listening to old hindi songs is something I got from my dad. You know he taught me how to play the bul bul tara also once!! Every night when the neighbourhood is ready to sleep that is when dad also gets ready with his old Hemant Kumar or Rafi numbers or Mukesh or Lata numbers.

Some favourite numbers are Tu pyar ka sagar hain, Choo lene do nazuk hoton ko, Janey kahan gaye woh din, Bhagawan - Oh duniya ke rakh waley, Panchi banun udti phiroon, Mein dil mein dard basa layi.......... and many more. Yesudas's Ayappa songs I remember from grandmother's collection. Every morning it used to be standard and then followed by Mayilpeeli. I remember her saying that when they were in Trivandrum, Yesudas had come home and he sang one of the numbers from Ayappa album!! I was like WOW! My mum's favourite used to be of course like many Suprabhatam by MS. God I still remember Amit Sayani and Abdul Hamid's voice on radio........wow it takes you back so so many years isn't it?

During college times, being Karthik fan, my favourites were any number from Kizhakku Vasal and a couple from Varsham 16 (Pazhamuthir cholai yenakkaga thaan and Eyy ayya saami :)). And then still love to listen to QSQT songs and dream of the chweet looking Aamir :). I feel old hindi Yesudas numbers are too good, although I donot like him singing hindi songs. But hey, this is a lovely thread and so many things are flashing mere ankhon ke saamney. Thank you for a few nostalgic moments!.........So are you ready to Chiggy Wiggy with u boyyyyy!!

Last edited: Mar 1, 2010
  3. Padmini

Padmini IL Hall of Fame

Dear Mindi,
    What a lovely write up about the music and the memories linked with it !!! Your narration made me to travel back to my child hood:)!! Poor Mindi your description about you singing the song wow really I visualized the scene , you holding the mike ( like our hero Mohan) and began to start in a shrill voice Oh MIndi no chance!!!
    I do have so many songs!! What am I to point out !! In my early days Thiruppavai by M.L. V by which we sisters got so enthu ans began to sing daily ( me with high pitch searching something in air and my sister
    with her low pitch digging the earth what a beautiful and innocent days were those !!!In my teens got the applause for dancing the song " Raja magal roja malar" ( so many became fans for me in that crowd)
    Last but not least is the song which made me to wear the crown " Samaiyal kuil" Kalyana samayal sadam" So many songs so many memories " Pasumai niraindha ninaivugale" Thank you buddy for giving me achance to pour out mine.
    with love
    pad

4. gjaya

gjaya Silver IL'ite

Dear Mindi,

Would you think I am totally crazy and cuckoo in the head if I tell you I got you in my dream last night.:rotfl

You see I had viewed this thread before going to bed and had even thought of what to write back to you, so that is why I got you in my dream and mind you, you had company of several Ilites too. I was talking to you in my dream saying "Mindi I wanted to write FB to you for your thread but since you are here anyways why don't I tell you face to face what I wanted to write".

I cannot live without music. I just love to play song while I do away with my work..whether it be housework or even my professional work. It just lifts my spirits up and yes as you rightly say some of the songs we associate with some beautiful memories.

Mindi, just like you have written, the song Jeena Yahan Marna Yahan is my Dad's all time-favorite. He even enacts like Raj Kapoor and sings. It always brings a smile whenever I hear that song because I then recollect my daddy doing the Raj Kapoor pose.

Whenever I hear Raghavendra Swamy stuti, I associate it with my mom. Raghavendra swamy is our favorite diety in our house growing up and I can always hear my mom chanting away the stuti...even in her sleep.

Akhiyon ke Jharoke Sey has been my all time favorite song growing up my college years. I remember singing this song in its entirety to anyone who would listen.

Phoolon ka Taaron ka brings some very sweet memories of my brother and I. We used to always fight like cats and dogs and then after the fight the silent treatment would follow. During one such silent treatment, it was my birthday and my brother was not talking to me which was heartbreaking for me at that time but my pride didn't allow me to make up with my brother. It was party time and in midst of all my birthday gifts was a Walkman with a cassette already in it. Not knowing who it was from, I nevertheless played the cassette and out came this song Phoolon ka Taaron ka Sabka Kahana Hain ek Hazaro mein meri behana hain" It was the best birthday present I ever could get in my life, my dear brother didn't say a word to me that day but conveyed a lifetime of love.

I had already written to you in another thread about the song "Aadha Hain Chandrama", I had sung this song to my DH (then fiancee) over the phone.

Sorry for the long fb, I can write and write about music. There are so many songs that have some memory or other attached to it. It would take pages and pages I guess to write fully. :rotfl

One funny thing, I know I do not have a good voice but I love singing and I do sing. These days at parties we have karoke and who else but me who would be the first to grab the mike and sing my heart away....who cares what others think.

Jaya

5. Deaf woman

Deaf woman Senior IL'ite

Dear mindian,
    Your post brought back wonderful memories of my music loving days.I was a diehard fan of rafi and used to listen to his songs all the time.Some of my favourites are "dil ke jharoke",tu kahaa ,yeh bathaa","teri pyaari pyaari soorath ko",almost all the songs in "kashmir ki kali".whenever i watch them now on tv i will start singing .:hide:

6. shreyashreyas

shreyashreyas Gold IL'ite

Dear Mindi,

Your writeup made me travel through my memory lane. I have been a shayari paithiyam from my school days so used to write down all the songs (hindi, kannada, tamil) in notebooks and underline the beautiful lines in the song... so particularly i cannot mention any song name under that category. My personal favourites are Kishoreda and mukesh, rafi, shailendra, the list goes on... My mom has kept all those notebooks even today without throwing them. Whenever i visit, i make sure that i go through them atleast once..

One particular song that touches my nerves even today is the song ennavale adi ennavale from kaadalan. This song was sung for me by my husband after our engagement when we met for the first time... so its very special for me.

As i was born and broughtup in Bangalore my tamil was very bad (like wrong pronounciation) so soon after my marriage my husband used to sing chennai senthamil especially for me with different lyrics to irritate me. But as we were newly married i used to love even that....

7. Soldier

Soldier Gold IL'ite

Hi Mindi!

Nice to have this post on Music and some nostalgia. No doubt u have made me nostalgic too. I want to be there for sometime enjoy and then only come back to present!!!

Though I am no musician or a great singer - I eat, drink and breathe music. I don't know if u have seen elsewhere - I had written that my DH teases me saying unnai ongammai (mallu thamizh) paadinde peththaalaa?

To that extent I love music. I can die for music. Am so mad really. U know i sing the interlude tunes , BGs everything also. My DD would say people spend so many days and work hard to learn guitar, violin and the like look at amma playing all those instrumentals with her mouth. Vaayilaye veena vasikaratha paaru!

I too love these songs -

Dil deewana bin sajna ke maane naa
    Jaa jaa tan .. tan.. tan.. tan Jaa Jaa tan.. tan.. tan.. tan Kaboothar jaa
    Tuje dekha hei tho jaana sanam
    Ye samaa samaa hei ye pyaar ka kisee ki inthzaar ka dhil naa churale kahin mera mausam bahar ka .......
    Phoolon ka taaron ka .. this song my cousin sang for his sisters nalangu
    Bahuth pyaar karthe hein thumko sanam
    Jo thumko ho pasandh woh hi baath kahenge ... and the list is endless.

U know for my nalangu I sang yeh zindagi usee ki hei .........
    All my relatives used to tease me saying u r gutsy to sing hindi song that too a love song

And to talk of the devotionals - I fall for Yeshu's songs. I have lot many cassettes of only Yesudoss. My FIL used to make fun - haven't u ever come across any other singer's name?

Even now, however busy I am, I cannot miss Kiran Devotionals in Malayalam .. Unfortunately I find no one interested in this program for me to share with them. Even before other devotional tamil prgs are over, I will switch the channel to Kiran at 6.30 a.m. My husband used to intially murmur - vandhuduvaa maatharthukku. See my influence, nowadays promptly even if by hands are busy rolling chappathis or making the dough, he would keep Kiran Channel and has also started guessing the songs before the actual song begins and even hums the tunes.

Thank u for this post dear!

8. Tubelight

Tubelight Bronze IL'ite

Hi Mindi
    Wonderful article !
    So true that many memories are garnished with songs/music ; the songs acting as triggers to bring alive those long lost cherished memories.

The story attached to Kabutar ja ja ja.... was so kissable sweet ! Could almost hear that "frenzied high pitch" !!!

I have a collection of such trigger -songs too. Both my parents were great fans of some Kannada film songs sung by SPB, music composed by Rajan Nagendra. On sundays, my parents,brother and I would sit on the verandah and play scrabble or carrom, while SPB went on and on , on a loop. I dont remember paying particular attention to those songs then, but now if I happen to hear any of them, I am immediately transported to those joyful games on the verandah. I guess the music got imprinted on the brain, unconsciously.

"AAj phir jeene ki tamannah hai " from the movie "Guide " My mother's most favourite song . Whenever we drove to Nandi Hills for an outing, Mother would sing during the journey and this song was always on the playlist.Its one song thats fairly bursting with joie de vivre .Years later, I saw the Movie on DVD and just fell in love with Waheeda. She embodied the song's inherent joy.

9. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Hey Mindi,

That was one musical post yaar! If you can't get me with anything, you can surely get me with music!! In spite of it, I think I am not listening to as much music like I should! Instead of typing, I wish I could sing you my feedback:)))

All of us in my family are 'lattoo' about music. Only, our tastes vary so much. When my daughters still lived at home, it was hilarious to walk through our house. I would be hung up on MSS or one or the other filmi geeth that reverberated in the kitchen and family room, my domain! Few steps away, my daughter would be listening to the 'New kids on the Block' ! In her room, my older daughter would be enjoying the latest from George Micheal,Madonna,etc. My husband would be closeted in his study listening to the tunes of George Benson or another jazz...literally!

What would I do without music? It was the various devotional chants and the soulful MSS that gave me strength and confidence during my lonely and difficult days and still do. As long as we have our song, we still have hope, nevermind the language, west or east!

-'Nagumomu' always brings my dad before my eyes. He use to sing it wonderfully and always ended up with tears in his eyes.
    -'Krishna nee begane baro' has a special place in my heart as my mom told me that she danced for it in her school days!
    -'Kannum kannum kalandhu' put me and my friend in to spotlight at the shcool dances and believe me, we felt like Vyjayanthi and Padmini!!
    -'Aap yuhi agar humse milthe rahein' of OPNayyar fame got me into trouble at home as the neighbor's son played it every time he saw me. From then on, that window to my room was kept shut!!
    -Never forget the naughty me singing 'oho nirdaye pritam' when my would be husband came to meet me for the first time and I suffered a lot of teasing later due to that (im)pass(e) I made!
    -'Kora kagaz tha yeh dil mera' is embedded in our dil as we went to see that movie soon after our engagement.
    -'Tere mere milan ki' has a special place in our hearts even as we had lots of tiffs after marriage! (and continue to have!!).
    -'Mere ghar aayi ek nanhi pari' is something I sang a lot to my first born!
    -Stevie Wonder's 'Isn't she lovely' rang in my heart and ears when I held my younger daughter in arms.
    -All the DDLJ songs I tend to associate with my older daughter and her wedding, especially 'mere khwabon mein'!
    -Movie Vivah is something that reminds me of my younger daughter and her hubs and 'mujhe haq hain' is so very sentimental to me in that regard:)

Before I forget, all Meera bajans remind me of my in-laws, especially my mother-in-law, bless her soul. She insisted I learn them and that's how I got addicted to Lata's rendition of the same which my bil recorded for me and later MSS's version.

...And so on and so forth, the music seems to keep me going on and on. Now my grandkids keep me refreshed of all the nursery rhymes and I am up to date with 'Hot potatoes' from Wiggles!!

At my age, I guess I should feel appeased with Srichakraraja simhasaneswari. But I can't help if my heart jumps to the beats of chalen jaisen hawaayein, jiya dhadak dhadak, pachai kaatre and ofcourse, chiggy wiggy of Minogue fame!

Once again, you are to blame that my fb is longer than your original post!!!!

Keep them coming Mindi...you do a great job:)

Love and more love,
    Kamla

Last edited: Mar 2, 2010
  10. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

dear shree

thanks for joining me in this nostalgic trip.:)

i guess the farther away from home we are stronger the memories get.i liked yesudas' s hindi songs too specially from chitchor.mayil peeli is different from vaagarchaarthu,right? ohhh i love p leelas vagarchaarthu which brings back memories of vishu in my place.:)

btw, nowadays from chiggy wiggy it is " kuch yaar nazar nahi aaha" from ajab prem ki ghazab kahaaani hahhah

and oh yes i too have different moods for different songs..morning it is purely devotional...classical when I can sit and enjoy,old songs when I am standing in the balcony watching the rain,fast tracks when i show off my latest download collection to my dd when she visits...:biglaugh