1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

MUSIC ! and some nostalgia...

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Mindian, Feb 28, 2010.

1. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

Music and memories! Do they always go together? I am sure most of you have memories associated with music? Don’t you hear a particular tune or song from the past and remember what you were doing when you heard it so many years back? This happens to me ALL the time.

Take Vishnu Sahasranamaam for instance, which I play some mornings. I am usually busy with my morning chores but it brings back memories of our house in Mumbai, with me sleeping in our bedroom, the corner of which also served as the pooja room. My appa would be chanting, and I would sleepily say “enappa.. It is morning, wake up, wake up call-a?” And my father would smile, lower his voice and continue to pray and let me sleep. Ohhh, how can I ever forget those days of being his pampered spoilt little baby, though it feels like a million years back?

My father is also a great fan of Raj Kapoor and Mukesh. Any corner of the world I hear “jeena yahan marna yahaan” I recall the way my appa enacted RK and sent my brother and me into peals of laughter.

Whenever I hear MS, I have to just close my eyes and I can see my mother (who sings very well) busy in the kitchen, her wet hair still tied in a towel, happily humming to herself. I can almost smell her sambhar and rasam too.

Here are some songs, NOT necessarily my favorites, nevertheless special to me as I remember all these people whenever they are played:

Yesudas and his ayyappan songs.. I remember all of us from our building attending his free concerts during the mandala pooja celebrations in December. We used to leave home early to get the front seats. And I remember u, H, my dear friend, your eyes were as big as saucers just because he walked so very close to you.

Ankhiyon ke jharokho se
    ” reminds me of M my school buddy. We must have been around twelve then but she sang so well. M, I can’t help thinking that, if only those were the days of talent scouting, we would have all seen you on TV and cheered for you.

Achcha tho hum chalthe hain
    reminds me of you U, how you forbade us from singing it aloud saying that it was BAD. OMG, if that was bad what about the lyrics of today? I sincerely hope that you don’t get a heart attack from the shock of hearing the songs of today.

Mai shaayar tho nahini”
    reminds me of you, B. So silly you were, saying that you could have a voice like Shailendra Singh in Bobby if you ate one onion every day.

My dearest bro, remember how silly we were, singing disco deewane at the top of our voices with an imaginary mike, pretending to be a celebrity bro-and-sis pair like Nazia and Zoheb Hasan?

Oh my god, how full of innocence and fun those days were! I often laugh to myself but am sometimes a little tearful too as I recall those days.

yeh kahaan..aa gaye hum “.
    .This was during the “Rekha fixation” phase and a bully from our building had commented on my singing, saying “khudh ko kya ? rekha samajthi hai kya?” LOL. Hey you mean fellow, Killjoy that you were, yet I remember you after all these years.

angrezi mein kehthe hai ki I love you” one boy from our building used to sing this every time he passed our house. My friends were sure he had a crush on me, though I never cared. hahaha but I remember you now, my old flame , after all these years.

“I love you”, from Mr. India. My hubby dear, I still remember you watching Sri Baby without blinking your eyes. Real cheek, I must say, with ME sitting next to you! But you still think that it is the most sensual song to have hit the Hindi screen, isn’t it? Anyway, where do I stand a chance next to the gyrating Sri?

kaboothar ja ja ja …oh my baby, these were the lyrics of the first Hindi song that you THOUGHT you sang. Actually your Amma sang and you made the appropriate noises. That “jaaajaa” would go to a frenzied high pitch LOL. But I LOVED it and smothered you with hugs and kisses exclaiming “how lovely! The best singer in the whole world”, and you beamed with joy. Recalling that makes me wish more than ever that I remain the most important person in your life.

Tu cheez badi hai masth masth” … I remember you uncle; my neighbor in mumbai…my baby spent half her time in your house with you all singing and dancing with her. You certainly made my life as a working mother easier.Thank you.

Thujhe dekha tho ye jaana sanam… OMG, how can I ever forget this most embarrassing moment in my life? Hubby and I were on one of his office parties that always ended with a karaoke. The youngsters usually enjoyed themselves singing Chinese and English songs. In a moment of weakness I confided in my hubby “how I wish they had Hindi songs. If only I can sing on stage…” not for one minute thinking that he will try to satisfy every wish of mine. Immediately he announced “Hey, my wife sings well, do you have any Hindi songs?” And of course here everybody loves SRK, so they did have this song.
    He persuaded me, saying “Come, I will give you company” and I just couldn’t back out with everyone cheering us. Now, we are not one of those couples who sing duets at home to proclaim our love for each other. As a result there was absolutely no coordination between both of us. In fact we did not even know that there were different colors for the male and female singer. Only the fact that he was the boss prevented the crowd from booing or throwing things at us. My daughter too turned traitor and laughingly clicked pictures of us.

Believe me, it is one of my favorite songs but I have never been able to even hum it ever since this incident without going red in the face.

Ohhhh so many happy memories associated with music. No wonder I am always listening to it. Years later I am sure to reminisce about the present - maybe me and all my KL friends dancing to “Chiggy wiggy” at our New Year party?

Last edited: Feb 28, 2010

2. iyerviji

iyerviji Finest Post Winner

Dear Mindi

I also love music very much and the songs which you have written are my favourite too. Earlier in every house Kausalya Supraja Rama would be played and by that time everyone would have got up.
    Now dont get to hear it much because now a days all are busy getting up and finishing their work fast and going to work.

I also like Yesudas's songs very much. They are so touching. You brought back memories of my childhood days when we used to sit in front of the Radio to hear Amin Sayani's Binaca Geetmala. Those days I used to remember each and every song and also who sang it. One of my cousin used to say ask this Dictionary she will tell u from which movie it is.

When we were travelling in bus we always used to have antakshri and I always used to sing the old songs for which they always used to tease me. The bus organiser himself was a good singer so he used to arrange many programmes and some girls from the bus were good singers and they used to join him. Some months back he had called all the old members for which I had also gone and we had a get together and also music was there.

All songs of Dilwale Dulhania Le jayenga are my favourite. Ok Mindi I will stop here because I want to be the first to give you fb. Will come later.

love
    viji

Last edited: Feb 28, 2010
  3. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Music always brings some nostalgic moments na.

I used to remember the old movie songs playing from the roadside shops so loud that we know what song it is from the beginning tune to it..

One song..which I remember now is.."sirippu varudhu, sirippu varudhu..sirikka sirikka sirippu varudhu.." by my uncle looking at me..sleeping with my book in a chair..pretending to read..:-( :biglaugh

sriniketan

4. vijianand

vijianand Senior IL'ite

Mindian,

This post of yours sure brought back lots of memorable moments. Suprabatham and Vishnu Sahasranamam by MS.... I learnt them by listening to her renditions in cassete.
    Kurai ondrum illai .... in MS voice, unforgetaable!!!! Me and DH are crazy about it.
    DDLJ, Maine pyar kiya....songs . We would exchange cassetes in cllege to hear the 70,s 80's HIndi songs. My Dad , a big fan of Kishore Kumar, had very good collections...
    NOw we dn. load songs from tons of sites ...Still melodies of Ilayaraja, SPB, Yesudoss broing back memories of child hood days, listening to them in VIvidBharathi. I dont remember the name of the programme , but old Hindi songs were played in the radio b/n 7.00and 7.30PM . MyDad would tell us the name of the movie ...
    Soundaryalahiri and Narayaneeyam .. I am a big fan of my Mom. She sings them so well.
    Music , I am sure everyone loves some form or the other and will sure hav nostalgic moments to write about.

Regards,
    Viji

5. radsahana

radsahana Silver IL'ite

Hey mindi

what a nostalgia!!!!!!!!! loved it very much. How can you say, u cant write and lack imagination, with a beautiful piece like this.

Now i am going to pen down my nostalgia, although in my personal juournal, of my favourite songs and what memories they brings. I never thought about this, but it would be a real fun.

P.S. Hey what happen to Jpatma (jaya mam), i have nto seen her oflate in any of fbs or posts.

6. susri

susri Silver IL'ite

Dear Mindi,

I too love to hear Vishnu sahasranamam in the morning wee hrs, which can pierce 1000 volts of energy immediately into us. Love to hear the melodious voice of M.S. Subalakshmi. :bowdown

Old melody songs are always green. By listening to those wonderful songs something that brings back our olden memories, our brain will remember the feeling and helps changing our emotional state of mind too.

Good to read your post. :thumbsup

7. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

dear viji,

as usual I look forward to your first fb:)

frankly i do not know what i would do here without music..it really keeps my loneliness at bay.

Now dont get to hear it much because now a days all are busy getting up and finishing their work fast and going to work.

hahahh i liked that...binaca geeth mala was my mothers favourite too..guess we grew up on chaaya geet :) good to know i brought back happy memories to you too.

this post was more on my memories associated with music than the actual songs..otherwise I would have posted it in the music section.:)

Last edited: Mar 1, 2010
  8. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

dear srini,

enakku konjam doubt irrundhudhu whether this is something weird only with me :biglaugh so now I am a little relieved to find that some of them at least experience the same.

I used to remember the old movie songs playing from the roadside shops so loud that we know what song it is from the beginning tune to it..

YESSS :biglaugh whether we like the song or not the lyrics and song go straight into our head.

One song..which I remember now is.."sirippu varudhu, sirippu varudhu..sirikka sirikka sirippu varudhu.." by my uncle looking at me..sleeping with my book in a chair..pretending to read..:-( :biglaugh

how sweet..like i said now it must seem like a million years ago,illaya?:)

9. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

dear vijianand,

may I call you that since there are too many vijis here? :-

great looks like you too are a great fan of music...glad that it brings back some memories of childhood for you.Wish you had shared some of them here,though :)

my mother too is a good singer :cheers

10. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

dear Radhika,

glad that you liked the post.:)

How can you say, u cant write and lack imagination, with a beautiful piece like this.

i still say i lack imagination bcause all these thing acually hapenned and i recalled them thats all.:)

Now i am going to pen down my nostalgia, although in my personal juournal, of my favourite songs and what memories they brings. I never thought about this, but it would be a real fun.
    hey no radhika..you have gotta share it with all of us here..that is the main idea behind the post ,okay? anyway nothing can be more embarassing than mine so be bindaas and let us all hear about them.

P.S. Hey what happen to Jpatma (jaya mam), i have nto seen her oflate in any of fbs or posts.[

No idea dear..i miss her too very much.