Muscat--Finding Indian food products

Discussion in 'Africa & Middle East - Other Areas' started by ManjulaPed, May 26, 2014.

1. pashni

pashni IL Hall of Fame

i want to go back atleast as a tourist. letus see:).i was near that darsait khmiji back side road.

2. VaniVyas

VaniVyas Platinum IL'ite

Hi ,
    I asked my mother and she told me what it was. But now Bahwan furnishing is there. I stay within 5 minutes radius to that place...

So u r a resident, but staying in India currently ah...

3. ManjulaPed

ManjulaPed New IL'ite

Hi,

@Pashni, I have tried Lulu Darsait and Ghubra as well as Khimji Darsait....no success.
    @shanvy, where is haridas nansey? I have seen matta rice, but what is matta rice? I have found brown basmati, but i am looking for the ordinary variety....perhaps we don't get it here.

We had long ago replaced white rice with brown rice and use atta mixed with jowar flour, ragi flour and soyabean flour. We had replaced semolina with foxtail millet (thinai) for upmas, but now I am having a tough time finding the products, especially thinai, jowari atta and soy flour.

Are there no regular shops/markets in and around Darsait other than the malls?

I miss jasmine, the trademark of our summer. I have not seen flowers sold anywhere...what do we use for daily puja?

Thanks everyone for your help.

Manjula

4. pashni

pashni IL Hall of Fame

haridas nancy is in ruwi.opp to dawat/kamat restaurant .for daily pooja u have pluck flowers from roadside,which i normally do during my evening walks.:mrgreen:.
    for festivals u get flowers in khmiji,lulu and krishna temple

5. VaniVyas

VaniVyas Platinum IL'ite

Ask the shopkeeper to help you with Pallakad Matti Brown Rice.

It is so easy.... I don't know wat went wrong

6. RajSai

RajSai Platinum IL'ite

I am not sure of millets. I will check and revert. But I buy soya flour, ragi flour, makhai atta, jowar atta from haridas nency. As pashni said, its very easy to locate this shop.
    It is just 2-mins walk from Ruwi police station.