1. What Movie Did You Watch Today? : Post Here
    Dismiss Notice

Munnabhai effect at Rajghat

Discussion in 'Movies' started by cheer, Oct 3, 2006.

1. cheer

cheer Silver IL'ite

NEW DELHI: Is the Gen-X influenced by movies? Yes, at least that's what Lage Raho Munnabhai seems to have done.

Places like Rajghat and Gandhi Smriti Museum, which on a normal day do not report any rush, were crowded with youngsters, kids and their families on Monday, the 137th birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi.

Every year, we sell Gandhi books, pens and pendants and people do buy them. However this year, the response has been tremendous. I have already sold 30 pens, said a member of Gandhi Hindustani Sahitya Sabha (GHSS), who puts up a stall every year.

The day at Rajghat seemed to be like any other Gandhi Jayanti day in the morning, with the visits of VIPs including President A P J Abdul Kalam and Sonia Gandhi. However, as the day proceeded, more and more people started coming.

This, in spite of Dussehra falling on the same day. We thought it's important to teach children about non-violence and satyagraha. And, today is the perfect day to do that, said Mamta Sharma, mother of ten-year-old Pankaj.

Hundreds of people have come here since morning with their families. Even some schools had organised trips today, said Srikanth Tiwari, a security guard at Rajghat. Those children were then taken to Gandhi Smriti later and taught about Mahatma's values.

The sabha had also put up a pandal in Rajghat and all its members spent the entire day there singing bhajans like Raghupati Raghava Raja Ram.

It also saw women and kids sitting with Charkas and promoting the importance of Charkas. The main motive of the Sabha is to spread Gandhian values.

Its more important today than ever to preach non-violence. It seems people have forgotten about it. Now, with the release of the movie every one is talking about it.

But, better late than never. My only wish is that it should continue. The hype might die in some days, but people should continue spreading Mahatmas ideologies, said Gulchand Das, a member of the sabha.

The sabha had also organised a mela at Gandhi Smriti museum, where it had put on Bapu's books. Rajghat Samadhi Committee also organised a Sarva-Dharma Prarthana in the morning, which was inaugurated by minister S Jaipal Reddy.

However, the highlight of the day was the presence of P Mudgill Swami, a freedom fighter, who turned 96 on Monday. "I feel proud that I share my birthday with Bapu. Today's kids don't know anything about Gandhiji. It's important to teach them, before the world becomes a bad place to live,"he said.

<!--google_ad_region_end=article-->

2. Chatter

Chatter New IL'ite

Gandhigiri all over with Lage Raho Munnabhai

Lage Raho Munnabhai has surely been successful in spreading Gandhigiri (Messages of Gandhiji) all over the nation. There have been so many news on TV channels like STar news and Zee TV about the Gandhi style of protests by people in Lucknow and other cities. People are sending flowers to show their protest and also giving advices of Gandhian values. Sanjay Dutt has done great job by spreading Gandhism so rapidly and so easily and so widespread...well done Munnabhai!!!! Lage Raho!

3. Maria

Maria New IL'ite

Munnabahi's verdict

The movie Lage Raho Munnabhai is sure a Hit and Sanjay Dutt has passed with flying colors in his Munnabhai role. But he is waiting his verdict in 1993 Mumbai blasts trial case. I wish him luck and may Sanjay Dutt come out clean from this case.

4. cheer

cheer Silver IL'ite

What better way to judge the relevance of Gandhian beliefs than asking the law-breakers themselves? A study among 102 inmates serving life terms at the Yerwada central prison has revealed almost equally divided opinions on Mahatma Gandhi’s principle of ahimsa, with 53 per cent believing that there are non-violent solutions to problems.

As many as 94 per cent respondents said they respect the Mahatma. The survey, conducted over the past week by the city-based Sahyog Trust, shows that 47 per cent of the respondents are firm that in certain circumstances, crime is the solution.

The survey findings were released at a news conference at the Yerawada jail on Saturday. It was addressed by Balasaheb Sarode, noted Gandhian and founder of Sahyog, Madhav Karve, deputy inspector general (DIG) of police of the western region, Rajendra Dhamne, Yerawada central prison superintendent, and Asim Sarode, human rights activist.

The Sahyog Trust, which has been working among the prisoners for many years, conducts an annual exam for them on Gandhian principles on Gandhi Jayanti, October 2.

The survey took a random sample of 102 convicts, including four female prisoners, all serving life terms. The survey was done without prior notice to get the "most frank assessment" from the respondents.

There was a 58 per cent rate of concurrence among prisoners when asked if they repented for their crime. The rest 42 per cent showed no signs of repentance.

Regarding change of heart or selfpurification, 70 per cent accepted having experienced such feelings to some extent, while 30 per cent did not.

Almost all the respondents — 94 per cent — expressed personal respect for the Mahatma, with only 5 per cent holding a negative opinion about him, and the remaining 1 per cent holding no opinion.

Source-Times Of India
    <!--google_ad_region_end=article-->

5. cheer

cheer Silver IL'ite

Gandhigiri Effect

Hi Ladies,

Plz give ur view "what do u think will Gandhigiri is great idea to change today's atmosphere"?. Lets discuss

6. sudhavnarasimhan

sudhavnarasimhan Silver IL'ite

Hi Cheer,
    Why dont u start this as a new thread ...and give it a title , ...lets go for the discussion....
    i am all set , but will wait for u to start a new thread.....better dont u think....and not under Cinema, many of them dont visit this section i feel....
    What do u say!

7. cheer

cheer Silver IL'ite

Thanx sudha, reason i didn't started new thread, becoz i was thinking 2 thread, same topic???? Moderator will not allowed:mrgreen: . I'm posting this discussion in snippet of life very soon. Thanx for ur idea