1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

moving to US - california- so I would need list of things I need to buy to set up hom

Discussion in 'Indians in Bay Area' started by mirrorimage, Jun 7, 2014.

1. mirrorimage

mirrorimage Silver IL'ite

Hello every one ,

my husband has already gone to US (california,san jose I think ,not sure on the details of place) and is asking me if anything specific he needs to buy there before I arrive...
    Can you please let me know the list of things I require to buy from here before going....
    and list necessary things my husband has to set up when I reach there?

and list of things which we can shop together .,so that it can be brought after I go...

let it be anything....basic necessities..cookery items.....provisions....etc....
    Help me out dear friends ...

2. sabarimathi

sabarimathi Gold IL'ite

Re: moving to US - california- so I would need list of things I need to buy to set up

Welcome to CA!! If you have a good relocation package, I would suggest taking all the basic cookware items, bedspreads & stuff, sweaters, jackets including small furnitures.

One thing that you should keep in mind when looking for apartments is the close proximity to good schools including a good school district provided you are comfortable with the rental rates. I don't live in nor have I lived in San jose , so I've no idea of the adjoining communities. Anybody who have stayed there would give you a good suggestion.

3. Inana

Inana Bronze IL'ite

Re: moving to US - california- so I would need list of things I need to buy to set up

Hey Mirrorimage, i lived in San Jose a couple of years back. Its a beautiful city with lovely weather.

Bring as few clothes as possible, because you will realize that you will eventually end up wearing more of the clothes that you will buy here in the USA. Clothes/ Jeans/ tops are a lot cheaper here than in India.

Do not bring any of the spices. I have seen every spice available at the Indian stores here. There is a New India Bazaar around there. You all find every possible indian spice there. Also the customs officers at the airport might not like it if they find any whole spices in your bag. Ground/powdered spices will not pose trouble at the customs but wheel spices might be thrown away. Keep that in mind if you want to bring any spices. They are a little more expensive than in India, but you won't really feel the pinch. I prefer to travel with an easy mind, than to worry if the customs at the airport will throw away my bag of elaichi that I packed from home.

Do not bring Ragi powder/ Poppy seeds. A big no no.

You even get mixers and grinders here fro almost the same price as in India. So you don't want to bring that.

So, after telling you what to not pack, I will tell you what to pack. If there is something your mother made for you , a special snack that she specially made for you, and if its dry, and packable, say like sambhaar powder, or murukku, bring that. Because you won't find your mothers recipes in the stores here. :)

Travel light. You find everything Indian here at the stores. Safe journey!

4. sweetypi

sweetypi Platinum IL'ite

Hi OP,

As others have said, the Bay Area is teeming with Indian grocery stores, so there is no need of bringing spices from India except sambhar powder and similar stuff. You should get a pressure cooker and few spare gaskets, idli moulds, murukku maker, rest of the stuff you can get very good ones there itself. You might also get a kadhai and a big tawa for dosa like we use in India. You can get some clothes, specially sarees, suits, light woollens, rest you'll prefer buying in the US. Same goes for bed linen.

Furniture you can get new either from IKEA or few used stuff from craigslist, depending on how long you're going to stay. Kitchens come fully equipped so you'll only need utensils and provisions to start cooking. Small storage items, household articles you can get from Walmart or Target.