1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Moving to Toronto from USA

Discussion in 'Indians in Canada' started by Mihisha, Mar 20, 2011.

1. Mihisha

Mihisha Senior IL'ite

Hello friends!

I am a recent phd graduate from USA university. I am currently on an OPT visa and would have been in good shape if my husband's labor application had not been denied here in usa.

I am applying to various jobs here that can sponsor my visa and I am confident that in 4/5 months I would get one that sponsor me J1/H1. Now, we cannot wait until that long because my DH's company is not stable and cud dissolve anytime. So I shud be on J1 asap (J2 can work while H4 cannot)

There is a very nice lab in toronto which has same work as I am doing here. the experience and interests match and the position is starting from around May end. My only concerns are;

1. If I waited here for just 3/4 months, I can get a J1 and DH on J2 (if need arises) and I can process our GC on fasttrack (being a phd, i have better chances) and everything wud be done in next 3/4 yrs, God willing. However, if I move to canada, I wud be losing this opportunity for good. because, If I move, DH comes along and we wud have then kids and life wud be settles in toronto, it wud be hard to come back and re-start the whole GC process at the end of 3/4 years.

2. I have heard a lotttt about cold climate and high cost of living in canada. I dont have direct contacts and have read frm forums etc. So if anyone who has been here and is also lived in canada, can please shed a light. My most direct Q wud be if one has a family income of around $70k, can a family of 4 (2 kids and mom dad) live comfortably along with savings for buying home etc? Would the cold be very harsh from someone coming from washington DC?

Please help in making these important decision of our life as the next 3/4 yrs are crucial for us to save, have kids and enjoy our youth :)

Thanks!
    Regards

Misha

Last edited: Mar 20, 2011

2. anmolhai

anmolhai Platinum IL'ite

yes the cost of living is higher in Canada as compared to US. And here is toronto it does get cold. Like the peak of winter we can get snow from 5-10 inches or even a foot and the windchill get -20 or so but its not like that ALL Winter long. And offcousre you dress for the weather but it is cold! I am not scaring you but its good to know the fact. All the best!

3. sreemu

sreemu Bronze IL'ite

Hi Misha,
    The cost of living here is slightly higher when compared to usa
    but not that bad
    starting yr will be a bit trying but gradually it will ease out
    70k yes people live here who make less than that too
    depends on wht u mean comfortably I have seen people living comfortably.
    second u will find homes to purchase depending on ur budget
    but usually there is a min 5-10% downpayment for it
    nov to feb would be our colder months but with the right clothes
    it is not that bad its only the first yr which u feel the cold later well u will get accustomed to it
    but spring and summer r awesome
    HTH

4. BabyRose

BabyRose New IL'ite

Hi Mihisha

As a fellow Torontonian who was born and brought up here, I can honestly tell you that it is one of the best city in the world, if not THE best. I really don't think that you would be disappointed if you decide to move here. You will be surrounded by such a mass Indian community. You will find everything that you would find in India (India grocery, Indian clothes, sweet, Temples) which is something I don't think you can get in Washington.

You will do well with 70k in Canada and you will be able to save buy a home later. The cost of living in Toronto is not so bad as you think. Most of the new immigrants come into this country with absolutely nothing but they somehow survive and down the road they do very well. If cost of living is high as you fear, trust me the new immigrants would not be able to survive.

Most families in Canada survive on 30k a year, so trust me when I say you are in a better position.

As for the cold weather. Yes it is cold here in Toronto but it is survivable. You just need to wear appropriate attire. It will be better if you have your own transportation so that you don't have to use the bus. Waiting for the bus in the cold could be nasty.

I really don't think you have anything to worry about. Toronto is such a beautiful city with multiculturalism. You will definitely be happy here.

I hope that helped.

Let us know if you do decide to move.

Take Care:)