Moving to Sydney on PR from India-Need help

Discussion in 'Indians in Sydney' started by vanathiram, Dec 8, 2011.

1. vanathiram

vanathiram Bronze IL'ite

Dear Ladies,

This is Vanathi from India and myself, my hubby and my daughter are planning on moving to Sydney in next few months. Will need all your help in finding answers for the following questions. Any help is appreciated and thanks to all in advance.

1) When does the school year start. My daughter is 5 years old.

2) Which localities are safe and good for families with good schools with good bus/train transport. We don't have any specific localities and the only concern is that it should be safe. We are used to living abroad and i had stayed in US couple of times.

3) Do airlines allow higher baggage allowance for immigrants ?

Thanks to you all

Vanathi.

2. PinkRubies

PinkRubies Moderator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

1. School starts in Jan end, and since she is 5 she will start in Kindergarten
    2. Paramatta and surrounding surburbs are a good area
    3. Im not sure that depends on the airlines, you should call them and ask

3. vanathiram

vanathiram Bronze IL'ite

Dear Pink.Rubies.

Thanks a for your response. Just after posting my question, i had one of my husband's colleague's brother who stays in Australia informing me that he is in Epping NSW and he can get something ready for us before we reach there. Is Epping a safe area with good schools?

4. newsweetwaves

newsweetwaves New IL'ite

Yes Epping is good and there are good schools there.

5. blessbabydust

blessbabydust IL Hall of Fame

Epping is good area but expensive area not much indian association lives there .... if you know someone in epping then great start but else good to live around the indian association so your kids will not be bullied too and feel comfortable around other kids too .... good luck
    Indian lives around :- parramatta , harris park,westmead,toongabbie(srilankans tamils), pendle hill (srilankans tamil) ,seven hills, blacktown ( 50% indians now ) ...

6. vanathiram

vanathiram Bronze IL'ite

Dear blessbabydust,

Thank you for your response. I'll definitely keep your suggestions in mind while selecting a place to stay. Is bullying prevalent even in Kinder garden? My daughter is used to westerners as she studied in a kinder-garden in US and she liked it more than her school in India. Would Australia be any different?

Thanks for your kind responses till date and will appreciate your response to my query above as I'm worried about my kid getting bullied.

Thanks
    Vanathi

7. blessbabydust

blessbabydust IL Hall of Fame

Bullying is lil common here . if you worried so much i would suggest you to put your child with indian concentration . not telling all whites are good and all indian are good it is good to have our community closer for safe and good habits .