Moving to Singapore? Housing/Utility/Transport/Cost of Living etc!

Discussion in 'New to Singapore' started by Vinodha, May 24, 2007.

1. jklmn

jklmn New IL'ite

Looking for a place to stay

Hi all,

I'm 29 yr old guy from Colombo, i'm coming to Singapore in April in search of a job in the field of Shipping / Logistics / Freight Forwarding.

I need a place to stay there. can anybody help me.

Good day to you all

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2009
  2. pnahata

pnahata New IL'ite

In search of rented house

I am moving to Singapore next month?

Hi,
    My husband & me moving from India to singapore next month. As we are coming first time to Singapore I have following queries, would appreciate if someone could help me :

1. Which area should I take a home on rent? our budget is $1400(max) and what type of HDB can we expect? My husband office is in Orchard road.
    2. As our company is paying for relocation, what all stuffs should I get from here. Shall I take my double bed with us?or will I get it in rented house?

Thanks in advance.

Preeti
    <ABBR title="2009-04-13 20:40:07"></ABBR>

3. SBRose

SBRose Bronze IL'ite

Re: In search of rented house

Hi Preethi

Welcome to Singapore.
    Here you can get fully furnished flats for rent. (bed, mattress, fridge, washing m/c, sofa, TV, aircon, dressing table, tea table etc etc). So you can avoid the trouble of bringing a lot of things. Just bring those that are highly essential like kitchen utensils.
    If you are looking for a flat nearer to orchard , then your budget 1400 is a bit tight.

Refer to the thread Housing in Singapore
    under
    Indusladies Directory > Local Entries > Asia-Pacific > Singapore > Associations

You can call that number for full details.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2009
  4. pnahata

pnahata New IL'ite

need some information abt singapore

I am moving to Singapore next month?

Hi,
    My husband & me moving from India to singapore next month. As we are coming first time to Singapore I have following queries, would appreciate if someone could help me :

1. Shall i take Indian spices and pulses there ?
    2. wht abt woolen clothes...we need them or not?

thanks
    Preeti

Last edited: Apr 22, 2009
  5. jpoorni

jpoorni Senior IL'ite

Re: In search of rented house

Hi Preethi,
    Welcome to singapore. For your budget, you could get it little farther from the heart of the city, but in singaopore the transportation facilities are very good, so dont worry. all the major items are provided in the furnished house, so bring your cutlery and cooking utensils (mixer,grinder etc.,) even some house owners provide with some basic utensils too.

Poorni

6. lalithanivas

lalithanivas Gold IL'ite

Re: need some information abt singapore

Hi Preethi
    You can find all the Indian spices n pulses here.I think its no need to bring any woollen clothes.becoz here there is no particular season.the day may be either sunny or rainy alternatively.so there is no need of any woollen clothes.

7. pnahata

pnahata New IL'ite

Hi,

thanks for replying me.actully i want to know tht is there any ban tht we wont take any spices and pulses from india to singapore?

8. AbhiSing

AbhiSing Gold IL'ite

Hi preeti

Welcome to Singapore.
    There is no such ban on food products/spices/pulses etc in Singapore. But the quantity matters. Also Khus Kkus is not available in Singapore. And it is a banned item. I guess you can grind it with spice powders and bring in like Kurma powders etc.
    All the best.

(For further reference on what to bring, housing etc please refer to the already existing thread Settling tips for new Singapore Residents. This thread will be merged with that one in 2 days time. Thank you for understanding. )

9. lalithanivas

lalithanivas Gold IL'ite

Hi Preethi
    khus Khus is not available in singapore.its a banned item.If u want it then do know whether its safe to bring or not. then only bring it along with u.otherwise u better avoid it.

10. cutekid

cutekid Silver IL'ite

Hi Preeti,

I would suggest that if u get some specific Masala's & some eatables that will be fine.Pulses are all available.Here you can find all in shop called Mustafa.u can bring some specific items which you will need in dy to day life like Idli maker,may be a small pressure cooker and all.The non stick item range is quite good here.But I feel the crockery is lil bit expensive.Hence u can get ur own Dinner set which is not of galss.
    Its very hot here so bring cotton & comfortable clothings only.Western clothers u will get easily ,hence u get Indian & ethnic clothes with u.Thanks