1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Moving to SFO from India - need to know about accomodation

Discussion in 'New to Bay Area' started by SaikatRoy, Jul 6, 2015.

1. SaikatRoy

SaikatRoy New IL'ite

Hi All,

I shall relocate to SFO from India by end of this month with My family (spouse and kid). I heard that SFO is pretty expensive area... Can you please help Me to find an affordable accommodation in Fremont/ any other area. I heard Fremont is also now-a-days highly expensive - so please suggest. I don't need to be near BART - even if its little far from BART would be fine for Me...

As I shall be staying with My family - I am more concern about security. So please suggest Me whether this will be wise to be in areas like Hayward, Richmond, Barkeley etc...

Thanks,
    S Roy

2. saarang

saarang Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Saikat Roy,

Welcome to Bay Area. Hope you enjoy your stay here. Yes, as you mentioned, SFO is super expensive. Hence people choose either suburban parts like Fremont, Union City etc. The rates in these areas are cheaper(compared to SFO). Few apts in Fremont areas are : Mission Peaks, Estates, Park Presidio, Lakeview, Hastings, etc. Do not worry about Indian community as Fremont has huge Indian population. It is quite safe as well. Of course, there would be couple of incidents here and there but that is common here in Bay Area.
    Please let me know if you have any other questions as well.

3. SaikatRoy

SaikatRoy New IL'ite

Hi Saarang,

Thanks for your input... Indeed helpful... Please help Me to get two more inputs:

I was searching over internet @ Fremont - though its cheaper compared to SFO, but its also expensive. I found apartments near BART costs close to 2k for 1BB room... That's crazy expensive thinkingsmiley...

1) Please et Me know whether staying in Haybard, Berkeley, Richmond is wise?... I heard crime is on little higher side. But had I have a vehicle - does that give some relief (at least roads I can avoid any such incident)?...

2) If I go further down - San Jose, what is the general mode to commute to SFO?... Please provide your input...

Thanks,
    S Roy

4. saarang

saarang Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi SaikatRoy,

I need to do some research on your questions before I can answer them. Please give me sometime.