1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Moving to San Francisco

Discussion in 'New to Bay Area' started by aabalode, Feb 1, 2010.

1. deepanair

deepanair Senior IL'ite

East coast must be drastically different from SF!
    I wouldn't ever want to move out of SF but then who knows! ( I never wanted to move out of India either :)!

Deepa

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2010
  2. writeme

writeme Silver IL'ite

Sure will do that.. Only God knows when is the next visit to SF :) I've noted ur id; its better if you remove it from the above post for safety reasons.

3. muskaan11

muskaan11 New IL'ite

Hi gals,we might move from la to SFO,so want some advice regarding staying in SFO.My hubby's job would be in SFO downtown so wanted to know good places in bay area to stay with easy commute to SFO downtown. Apart from Fremont,which other place nearyby SFO like San bruno,foster city,etc are good and safe and have desis too?How is it like staying in SFO city,anybody in the city??
    Also I am expecting in July,so if u can suggest some good hospitals and obgyn around:)
    Thanks

4. deepanair

deepanair Senior IL'ite

First of all a big congrats to you :). Both on the baby and also on moving to SF!

We stay in the city and love it here. Depending on our own personal preferences , you could decide on where to move. If you are thinking of larger living spaces and a desi community nearby, then I would recommend moving to any south bay area or east bay areas.

But staying in the city is a great experience if you don't mind compromising on space and shelling out a bit more as the rentals are a tad higher. The flats in SF aren't very big and you might also have a tough time figuring out areas with parking .

SF has an excellent public transit system , making all the areas within the city well connected. But for additional ease ,people prefer being near the bart or muni lines. If you are looking for Bart connectivity , then Glen Park , Twin peaks, noe valley would be a good bet. Apartments here are a good size and have a really nice neighborhood.

If bus line suffices ( depending on where your hubby works), areas like inner richmond, central and inner sunset etc are also good. These areas would be near the GG park and also near pretty good restaurants.

We stay in twin peaks and been here for almost three years now. We just had a baby . I delivered at UCSF hospital and my baby's pedi is also there. I had a wonderful experience at UCSF, no complaints whatsoever.

Hope this helps,do write in ,if you need to know anything else. All the best with the moving :)

Deepa

5. muskaan11

muskaan11 New IL'ite

Thanks a ton for the wishes and ur info Deepa :)
    We really prefer staying close to the city but have double mind regarding staying in the city itself,have heard about it being expensive,parking probs and next to no Indians there.... But as u said u stayed thre 4 almost 3 yrs now,so hows life in the city like?Do u work?
    Also if u dont mind can u tell me the approx rent range for a 2bd 2bth apt in or around the city...that would really help:)
    once again thanks a ton and will b in touch...

6. deepanair

deepanair Senior IL'ite

Well, we like it here in the city. My husband works in downtown and I go to SFSU, all the more reason why we stay here. But work apart, being in the city has it's own perks. You are in the midst of so much. There's always so much to do over the weekend.

Further, you could check craigslist , to get some idea of what the rentals are like. But off the top of my head, it could be anywhere from 2100 onwards for a 2B in a good location.

The rentals would go down if you move a bit out of the city, areas like san mateo, foster city etc.

So do you work muskan? ( I hope that's your name :)

Deepa

7. muskaan11

muskaan11 New IL'ite

thanks again Deepa
    I am a Homemaker dear.....used to work back in India :)
    hey do u have any idea for some good apts in san bruno,foster city,san mateo???

8. deepanair

deepanair Senior IL'ite

Unfortunately no! Haven't stayed outside SF as yet. But do let me know if you guys end up moving to SF :)

9. chinni86

chinni86 Bronze IL'ite

Thought I'd give my cents worth of advice for living in the Bay Area to Muskaan since I live in the suburbs and tend to commute to the city for school and such.

I live in Dublin, which is easily connected to the city by BART - which is the local train/metro service in the Bay.

If you are looking to live in the suburbs, and looking out to have Indians around you, your best bet would be Fremont. It's again connected to SOMA, which is the downtown/financial district in SF, by BART. Also, the rent is a little cheaper. You could rent a one bedroom of around 700 sq.ft. for anywhere between 900 to 1600 bucks and a 2 bedroom from 1200 onwards, depending upon how close you are to BART. If your husband is okay with driving, then you could consider moving to the Peninsula, which is the likes of Foster City, San Bruno. there is another train service called Caltrain, but it's frequency is much lesser than the BART. Also, those neighborhoods tend to be a little more pricey than the East Bay, with the rents starting from 1000 upwards for an apartment that's around 700sq. ft.

Your average commute time from suburbs to downtown San Fran is between 45 mins to an hour.

The quintessential Indian neighborhoods are Fremont,Newark,Union City, Santa Clara, Sunnyvale, Foster City. Santa Clara and Sunnyvale are a little farther than the others and are only connected either by company shuttle or you have to drive around an hour.

Based on the neighborhoods that I've suggested, you could check out listings on craigslist/sulekha and map the address on google maps to get a better idea.

Incase you have questions, I'll be on here to help you :)

10. muskaan11

muskaan11 New IL'ite

@ chinni86

thanks a lot for the reply and suggestions:) Rite now we r thinking of moving closer to the city and looking for apts in Foster city,San Mateo,San Bruno and around.We saw a few apts this weekend,I know the rent is higher in these areas compared to fremont and other east bay areas....but we want something closer to SF.
    So if u can recommend some good apts in the areas I mentioned,that would be really helpful:)
    Thanks again,will be in touch.